Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

February and still on tires

13 posts in this topic

Posted

We finally got one of those great winter flying days today and I was even off work (President's day) so I had a great day to get out and fly.  I tried to get Jeff to go but Noooo, he had to work so I am trying to make him feel really bad for selling his Avid now that he is building his new house on a lake.  Just look at that, he could have the perfect place for floats in the summer and skis in the winter.  Jeff, are you feeling bad enough yet?

So after taking pictures to prove I was there I checked on some guys ice fishing; great for pike but nothing else was biting.  The largest one in the picture is about 2' and 7.5 pounds.  Other lakes have bigger ones but Figure 8 lake always produces.  Then landed on a bare sand bar in the Big Su river to burn up some ammo.  Flew out to Skwentna way for a beautiful sunset and landed on the Yentna river on the packed trail but checked the snow depth off the trail and it was over the knees so not a good idea to land on tires out there unless you have something packed.  I hope we get some more good days coming but just can't decide to put skis on or not so I need Leni to force me into it if he is going to do it for the last bit of winter.  What do you say Leni?

DSCN1574-1.jpg

DSCN1575-1.jpg

DSCN1578-1.jpg

DSCN1582-1.jpg

DSCN1583-1.jpg

DSCN1586-1.jpg

DSCN1588-1.jpg

DSCN1591-1.jpg

DSCN1595-1.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Looks like a fun day and very inviting    Lou

Posted

Nice pics Randy!  If I had snow at the house I would put ski's on so I could go play up by the lodge, but there is no snow in Soldotna.  I would be a pain to move to a lake some place just for a couple flights before breakup.  I can't remember the last winter that I had NO ski flying.

The runway at the Lodge is in really good shape.  I got a sweet groomer from a guy down river and brought it up there so its nice and smooth and packed.  There is only maybe 6" of snow on the lake to begin  with.  I should be up there on the snogo friday the 26th to lead a group of buddies into the lodge as they take a little adventure run to puntila and ptarmigan pass just to say they did it.

:BC:

Posted

Hey, I may be able to catch up with you there since I have the 26 off.  I will give it a try if the weather coperates

Posted (edited)

Our ski flying down here is sucking too, there's very little snow and the lakes are a skating rink, went last weekend and taxiing on the lake with skis was pretty much out of control situation

Edited by marshawk
spelling

Posted

aircraft ski brakes

these are amazing for landing on ice.  the original ones that were experimental were a lot cheaper.  but if you fly off ice these will blow your mind.

Posted (edited)

aircraft ski brakes

these are amazing for landing on ice.  the original ones that were experimental were a lot cheaper.  but if you fly off ice these will blow your mind.

The STC is what blows the price!   We had manual lever operated brakes on the snow plane skis in the mid 1950's - Probably cost about $10 or less to make.   Of course that is easier to do when you have a narrow, tandem, cockpit.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Awesome pictures! Sure makes me want to come up and do some flying. Thanks for posting Randy. 

Posted

Thats a cool idea, I don't usually fly off the ice ,just the last couple years we have been getting spring in January, like the idea but not the price especially with our stinking dollar . Probably just throw the tires back on but will keep that in mind for some ski brakes and see if I can possibly rig something. Thanks for the idea!

Posted

Thats a cool idea, I don't usually fly off the ice ,just the last couple years we have been getting spring in January, like the idea but not the price especially with our stinking dollar . Probably just throw the tires back on but will keep that in mind for some ski brakes and see if I can possibly rig something. Thanks for the idea!

Something as simple as a steel lever pivoting on a bolt and a rope tied to each one with the ends in the cockpit works - we did it... EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I was thinking a clutch slave cylinder to actuate the lever on the brakes or something of that sort.

:BC:

Posted

Those would be pretty nice alright. There is a guy with a cub at Wolf Lake that has a set and it is easy to see when he lands on the lake from the scratch marks.  The lake is kind of figure 8 shaped and he can stop by the time he gets to the pinch point.  I can't stop at all when it is solid ice so have to get through the pinch point and then spin the plane around.  Then zig-zag taxying back at an idle and shut the plane off in time that I don't skip it up onto the boat launch.  If I run out of projects I might try to build a simple set, probably with a cable activated lever arm with snomachine track studs.

2 people like this

Posted

Darn it Randy.  Your killing me.  I hope I win the Airmen's association bush plane raffle this year.  Then you can really eat your heart out.  Now all you need is floats to land there in the summer.

Thanks for great pictures.