Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FOOTBALL STRUT TANKS

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After a long time of not being available, CPS has the football strut tanks for sale again. They hold 5gal each, which is 30lbs of fuel. They are only sold in pairs for  $295 plus shipping.

https://www.cps-parts.com/pages/ap/fuel_tanks/ultralighttank05-12347.php

Typically these are installed on the struts but a belly mounting might be another good option. Just what we need to extend our legs for a long cross country flight to ?? (OSH) 

THE ABOVE WAS POSTED BY RDOOLEY79 in TECHNICAL TASKS AND COPIED TO THIS SECTION BY EDMO

I still think that it is better / safer to mount these on the struts than on the belly, in case of a flipover, like Knuckledragger did in the post "Avid went down in Florida" in another section on here.  

I wonder if the guys with the Catalinas could use these as sponsons?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Beat me to it Ed! Give a guy some time to sleep! Lol :-)

The Rans guys have used these as well. Link below 

http://www.stoneylake.org/pipcom/s7externaltanks.htm

Looks like the Chinook is back as well. The factory and tooling was sold but is coming back to life under new but trained ownership. These guys are the source for the football tanks. I've always thought highly of the chinook, nice plane. http://www.amplanes.com/

If you been eyeing these tanks, now is the time to put an order in Plus I'm sure they could use some easy orders right now to bolster the business.

When I get my tanks, my plan is to create a similar installation thread for the kitfox 4.

The trick is creating a strut mount that is strong and light yet quickly removable and aerodynamic.

Edited by rdooley79
1 person likes this

Posted

After a long time of not being available, CPS has the football strut tanks for sale again. They hold 5gal each, which is 30lbs of fuel. They are only sold in pairs for  $295 plus shipping.

https://www.cps-parts.com/pages/ap/fuel_tanks/ultralighttank05-12347.php

Typically these are installed on the struts but a belly mounting might be another good option. Just what we need to extend our legs for a long cross country flight to ?? (OSH) 

THE ABOVE WAS POSTED BY RDOOLEY79 AND COPIED TO THIS SECTION BY EDMO

I still think that it is better / safer to mount these on the struts than on the belly, in case of a flipover, like Knuckledragger did in the post "Avid gone down in Florida" in another section on here.

EDMO

I am not smart enough to copy and paste this - My daughter did it for me.    EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed     We didn't grow up with computers...they grew up with US!   :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Update from Spruce, 

The tanks will be drop shipped from the manufacturer by the end of the month. I'm excited!

I also ordered a 3 position fuel selector valve with clicking detents. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTB7Q0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The plan is to extend the handle under the seat between my legs, using the molly frame to support and mount the handle to. I want to keep the fuel lines behind the seat with the other flammable "go juice". 

From the valve will be lines for the left and right strut tank. Tygon LP1100 (best of the best tygon) the fuel line will run inside gap of the struts up to the tanks. 

http://emurdock.com/tygonay60001714idx38walllp110050packagelength.aspx

No solid install plans yet but I've got a gooood idea how it's all going to connect :-) not sure exactly how I'm going to mount the tanks to the struts. Needs to be light, strong, aerodynamic and easily removable. Anyone got an idea?

Once I get done with replacing my wing tank (update coming soon) and get these strut tanks figured out. I'll have plenty of fuel, 13 on board and 9 in the strut tanks. with a 4.5gph burn rate on the 670, that gives me roughly 4.8 hours of flight time without going in to the 45 minute reserve. The 4.5gph burn rate is much higher than my cruise burn rate but I haven't gotten enough flight time in cruise configuration to know what that burn rate is...yet... estimates are down at 3.5gph cruising at 82ish mph. 

Edited by rdooley79

Posted

RD, 

I am looking forward to your work on this.  I think I will order a set as well.  Ed suggested I add additional in wing tanks to my new wings but I would rather have them removeable since I would only need them for long runs.  With 28 gal in the std. wing tanks and another 10 gal in the strut tanks and my Subie burning 3.5 to 4 gph at 85 mph it will give me pretty good range.  If we do a hunt north side of the Brooks Range I am going to need all of that plus some; there is a lot of ground with no fuel available.

I have been debating with myself on if I should plumb them in or just plan to land and transfer fuel.  Ultimately I will probably plumb them in; I would plan to run the fuel lines down the lift struts and to separate fuel shut off valves between my seats, then Y into one hose into an electric fuel pump and up to a T into one of my wing tank lines above the header tank.  When a wing tank gets low you could then transfer the fuel from the strut tank into the wing tank.  Also, may use boat fuel line quick disconnects to remove the system when not needed.  Will likely need to get the tanks in hand to decide if they would mount easiest at the jury strut upper or lower mounting points or out at the lift strut attach points.  Will look forward to hearing what you think.

1 person likes this