Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Verner Scarlett 5S?

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know anything about this engine? It looks like they already have a 7 cylinder, and a 3 cylinder, but the 5 cylinder is new. Maybe a nice size for our planes. The history of new aircraft engine manufacturers surviving is not good, but it's an interesting project.

http://www.vernermotor.com/news.html

What do you guys think about it?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I saw a video or photo about a guy who was putting VW cylinders together to make a radial - somewhere?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Posted

I think its a thing of wonder and beauty. What's the price point?

Posted

I find it interesting that they say the 3 cylinder VW is ready for customers but I don't see anything about selling them or price either. 

Posted

3 cylinders off a VW engine?  Wow.  Those things aren't worth a shit in an airplane, even with all 4...

Posted

3 cylinders off a VW engine?  Wow.  Those things aren't worth a shit in an airplane, even with all 4...

Oh come on now, I would bet you in the last 50 years  VW has just as many successful flying hours as the 912 does ^_^

Posted

I have 200 hours trouble free behind a 1600 VW, several behind 2100's and am getting ready to install one on a Sonerai. I beg to differ about them being bad. They just aren't good for the Kitfox/Avid group. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth, I stand corrected.  You are right.  There are a few applications where they work.

TJay, there have been over 50,000 Rotax 912 engines sold since they went on the market 25 years ago.  Maybe there's been 10,000 VWs fly in the last 50.  I'd take that bet any day…

Posted

Kenneth, I stand corrected.  You are right.  There are a few applications where they work.

TJay, there have been over 50,000 Rotax 912 engines sold since they went on the market 25 years ago.  Maybe there's been 10,000 VWs fly in the last 50.  I'd take that bet any day…

I will raise that bet and throw in more radials have flown than both of those engines!   :lol:   EDMO

Posted

I actually find this an interesting idea. I wonder if there would ever be able to compile a comprehensive list of all VW type engines that have flown. I know the British loved them for decades. In fact there was on guy that performed full aerobatic routines in competition with one on a special designed plane. 

If you could add up all the Sonerai's, Sonex, Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummell and other companies that produced VW engines just for aircraft use I'm sure it would be a lot of them. I realize that there also has been a lot of 912/914's as well. 

I for one wouldn't think this would be a bet that could ever actually be settled. 

Posted (edited)

I wonder how many flew with Henderson 4 cylinder Motorcycle engines?  Sure must have taken a lot of cycles off of the roads!  And, Ford 4 cyls too...

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed, what was the Henderson? That's one I'm not familiar with at all. 

Posted

Ed, what was the Henderson? That's one I'm not familiar with at all. 

I couldn't explain it, but it was before Harley and Indian - look it up - the history should be on the internet - a little before my riding days!   EDMO

Posted

Does anyone know anything about this engine? It looks like they already have a 7 cylinder, and a 3 cylinder, but the 5 cylinder is new. Maybe a nice size for our planes. The history of new aircraft engine manufacturers surviving is not good, but it's an interesting project.

http://www.vernermotor.com/news.html

What do you guys think about it?

I got on their FB page where they were running the 5 on a dyno. 81hp. I wonder how much it weighs? Sure sounds good!!!

https://www.facebook.com/VernerMotor/videos/1052627574800611/?pnref=story

1 person likes this

Posted

Found a spec sheet. 152# dry.

Posted

I suppose not too bad for the horsepower. Man that things sounds mean though. Not sure how you'd even fit it on the Avid. I'd also be afraid of what it would burn per hour. 

Posted (edited)

I suppose not too bad for the horsepower. Man that things sounds mean though. Not sure how you'd even fit it on the Avid. I'd also be afraid of what it would burn per hour. 

I'm not afraid of the fuel burn - It cant be as bad as the AT6 that nearly broke me to fill up after a flight back when gas was cheap, and it burned oil by the gallon!  I just wonder what the base price will be, and how many hours is it good for.    Nothing sounds as good as a radial or a Harley!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I want one! I just need a mount and rigging.. LOL!!  :P

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

If I wanted to spend the money they want for new engines, I would go buy a used factory plane and spend the rest for gas and motels!  EDMO