Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trivia picture of the day!

18 posts in this topic

Posted

This is the newest restoration project at the Ferndale air port! It belongs to our friend Bob Coffman, can anyone identify this plane?

1215151621.jpg

Posted

SNJ   Texan?

Posted

T6?

Posted (edited)

Could be a Jap Zero (Mitsubishi) - When they made the movie, Tora, Tora, Tora,, or Pearl, they used AT-6 planes for some of the Zeros - they look similar.  They look like the AT6 Texan and the Navy SNJ, but I don't remember if they had the rear seat.    Sometimes the plane we are looking at in the movies is not the plane we think it is.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Vultee BT-13

Posted

Here is the photo lightened up so it is easier to see.

image.jpeg

Posted

Avenger?   EDMO

Posted

WyPaul - Please don't leave us hanging - What kind of plane is this?   EDMO

Posted

Ed, that needs to be directed to Ironman Al.  I just made the picture lighter.  I am waiting to find out also!

Posted (edited)

Ed, that needs to be directed to Ironman Al.  I just made the picture lighter.  I am waiting to find out also!

Sorry Paul,  I thought at first it was Ironman Al, but couldn't find the post under his handle - Hope he responds!  I kept thinking about how this bird would look with dark blue paint because the CAF had an Avenger where our EAA used to meet at St. Charles, MO.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It is the WW2 SNJ Texan, Naval Trainer, for the Avenger and Wild cat, Sorry for the delay, I thought this post had gone through, That Plane Had a Huge Radial engine, An Alison I believe, it was removed to be rebuilt, it was over 5 foot diameter in size,.

Posted (edited)

It is the WW2 SNJ Texan, Naval Trainer, for the Avenger and Wild cat, Sorry for the delay, I thought this post had gone through, That Plane Had a Huge Radial engine, An Alison I believe, it was removed to be rebuilt, it was over 5 foot diameter in size,.

Allison was part of General Motors - I have never heard that they made radial engines - They made the V-12 for the P-51 Mustang, (probably a Cadillac automobile conversion Larry!), and in modern times make the  Allison turbine engine.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The V12 Merlin engine was a Rolls Royce design, built under license by the Packard Motor company.  Allison built a similar engine without the supercharger.

I believe the T6/SNJ came with a Pratt 1340 Wasp motor of about 600 hp.

Posted

The V12 Merlin engine was a Rolls Royce design, built under license by the Packard Motor company.  Allison built a similar engine without the supercharger.

I believe the T6/SNJ came with a Pratt 1340 Wasp motor of about 600 hp.

No wonder why the T6 guzzled more gas than a Stearman!   EDMO

Posted

the one I flew in had a 600 pratt

Posted (edited)

the one I flew in had a 600 pratt

I think the early Stearmans had a 300 hp engine, then came the 480, maybe some had the 600 - Snow had a conversion that was 8oo, 900, or 1000, I think.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The OEM engine on Stearmans was a Continental R670, Lycoming R680 or Jacobs R755 all give or take 220 hp.

This one belongs to a good friend of mine...

1 person likes this

Posted

The OEM engine on Stearmans was a Continental R670, Lycoming R680 or Jacobs R755 all give or take 220 hp.

This one belongs to a good friend of mine...

I thought we had some with a 200 hp Continental in them - then they just kept getting more hp!    Beautiful plane posted... EDMO