Leading Edge Extensions

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Mine also has alot of washout and is going to have more with the 18" extensions ,:(

Posted (edited)

I just googled it to jog my overloaded mind.  The laker just uses fiberglass instead of aluminum.  Maybe it does not oilcan as bad or something but it is installed like the drawing that Jim posted, just out of fiberglass sheets.

:BC:

Edited by akflyer

Posted (edited)

What about just sawing a thinwall pvc pipe of the correct size about in half, or whatever fits good, and glue it on with 9460 or Leni's Loctite 5200 or something - that should give you about an inch of extension and protect your spars from bumps - I think the protection of the spars is the most important thing that the plastic LE does anyway.   EDMO

I guess it does sharpen the LE about 1/2 the diameter of your spar - maybe gives a little less resistance to the air flow? 

My new LE tubes are 1 1/4" diameter, compared to the 2 1/2" spars - I wish now I had used thin PVC instead of Aluminum.  I covered 12" top and bottom of front part of wing with 1mm Finland Birch plywood - Spruce shipped it in 2' x 4' pieces.     EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The Laker leading edge is NOT an extension or change to the airfoil.  It is a fiberglass cover to the existing leading edge negating the need for all of the false ribs that maintain the airfoil shape.  The LLE still uses the same extruded leading edge to make its shape only it uses segments of this form rather than a long piece the length of the wing.  

The extruded plastic leading edge forms that are used in the model IV and later Kitfoxes are not known as the Laker Leading Edge.  These are a form to achieve the sharper leading edge of the Riblett airfoil.  They have been used on the under cambered wings of Avids and early Kitfoxes with mixed results. 

Posted

Thanks for the info guys, ill maybe call kitfox and see if they still sell the plastic leading edge

Posted

Thanks for the info guys, ill maybe call kitfox and see if they still sell the plastic leading edge

They still make the Classic 4, as far as I know, so they should still have the plastic LE for them.    EDMO

Posted

The extruded plastic leading edge is used on every Kitfox since and including the model IV. 

The LLE is an option.