Jabiru Props

24 posts in this topic

Posted

So I talked to Daryl today at warp drive about a prop for my 2200 and he informed me that warp does not make a prop for the Jabiru anymore due to Jabiru blaming them for there engine problems, So who else do you guys like? there is Culver and Tennessee  around 400 bucks and Prince and Senenich around 1000 bucks any other good options you guys know of

Posted (edited)

TJay,   I donno if your Jab is same bolt pattern as 912 Rotax, but there was a 2-blade on ebay that looked nice. 

On the STOLSPEED VG site sidebar "PROPS"there is a large list of props that they tested on the 80 hp Rotax - interesting reports.

EDMo

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I still have high hopes for my Prince prop.  It sure is pretty...

Posted

The WD blades I had on my Jabiru are just standard blades.  (64" diameter RH) The hub is a standard drilling, although it's not what Rotax uses.  It is drilled for the thrust bushings though, not sure if Subarus are set up like that or not.   If you want to wait a day, I will measure it when I get home tomorrow.  If you really want to go with a warp, maybe you can buy the right hub and then separate blades.   About 375 miles to go.  Hauling a Kitfox 2 wing home from NY on the roof of the car.  Jim Chuk

Photo0406.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Did you rob Doug Holly's collection?  My Soob has a SAE2 hub, like most small Lycoming, and SuberAvid has an SAE1 hub, like small Continental and one small Lycoming (235 had both patterns).  His is 4 3/8" diameter bolt circle, and mine is 4 3/4", with 3/8 bolts. EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No, Tom P. from the Kitfox site.  I was going to just get the fuel tank from him for my Kitfox 1, but then decided to get the whole wing, and then the wife could visit her relatives in Ct at the same time.  She hasn't been up there for 13 years and her sister is in poor shape.   Got over 6000 miles on the car since we left home at the end of November.  it's been quite a trip.  Jim  Chuk

Posted

No, Tom P. from the Kitfox site.  I was going to just get the fuel tank from him for my Kitfox 1, but then decided to get the whole wing, and then the wife could visit her relatives in Ct at the same time.  She hasn't been up there for 13 years and her sister is in poor shape.   Got over 6000 miles on the car since we left home at the end of November.  it's been quite a trip.  Jim  Chuk

Well, you can broom the snow off of the wing when you get home!  Hope you have a safe trip,  EDMO

Posted

I still have high hopes for my Prince prop.  It sure is pretty...

I really like Prince my self, He has a prop that will fit mine in his used inventory right now he says it would make a great climb prop but in flat and level it will be 200 rpm over speed Not sure I want to mess with it or not, Only 700 bucks basically new carbon prop its sweet. He also told me if it doesn't work send it back and use the money I spent toward a new prop ha Nice guy.

Posted

Lynn Mattson from the Team Kitfox site has a prince prop on his Kitfox 4 with a 2200 Jabiru.  Might ask about the prince props there and maybe he will respond.  I don't think I would want a prop that would let you over rev that easy.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I had (2) KF4s w/ Jab 2200s at my home field. One w/ Sensinich and the other, IIRC, with a Tennesee. I'd offer to follow up and confirm details but I haven't been to the airport in months.

@Jim - sounds like you passed right by me. Sorry to have missed you, I would have enjoyed swapping some stories over lunch or coffee.

Posted

Sorry Doug,  It was quite a trip.  We came up through Scranton PA from SC on 81, and into Hartford Ct on 84.  Went back though NY on 84, then 17 and then on 86 going west out of state.  Picked up the wing in Guilford NY.   Never thought about contacting you.  Sorry.  Never know, we might end up back in Hartford this summer.  How far are you from there?  We got home today about 3:30.  Winter is still here.  1 1/2' of snow and I had to shovel to get into the garage.  My son plowed the yard yesterday so that was good.  Nice to be gone, but it's nice to be home as well.  Jim Chuk 

Posted (edited)

Jim, glad you made it home OK.  BTW:  We had 5" of snow this morning, and the green grass is showing before sundown. 

For the Jab props:  Since the diameter is limited by rpms, would a 3 or 4 blade give better performance than a 2-blade?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Jim, glad you made it home OK.  BTW:  We had 5" of snow this morning, and the green grass is showing before sundown. 

For the Jab props:  Since the diameter is limited by rpms, would a 3 or 4 blade give better performance than a 2-blade?

EDMO

imo with that fast of a prop with that slow of an airplane a 2 blade is the only option otherwise there is no clean air left between the blades.

Posted (edited)

EDMO

imo with that fast of a prop with that slow of an airplane a 2 blade is the only option otherwise there is no clean air left between the blades.

I hadn't thought about that theory - I know if I go from a 3 blade to 2-blade, I can swing bigger prop and have less ground clearance as long as I have the hp and don't exceed Mach .8 or so with the tips, but you are limited to a shorter prop by rpms - I have no clue about air between blades, but think a 3-blade same diameter might possibly be better and smoother?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I ran 3 different props on my Jab.  A Tennessee 64x36, a Tennessee 62x40, and a 64" Warp.  All 2 blade props.   Climb didn't change much between any of them, but the 62x40 did fly the plane faster.  Funny that it seemed to climb just as well as the 64x36, but it moved the plane better at higher speeds.  That's one reason I would steer clear of a prop that would let the engine over rev.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Wish I could help in this area. I've designed and built my own props for exactly the reasons you guys bring up. Not to mention the cost. The last few I built would out perform anything that I had that was "store" bought. With the insurance requirements I can't afford to make them for others though. 

One thing that I've found on my 60 HP VW, 1" of prop diameter is equal to about 150 RPM. So if I decrease my diameter 1/2" on EACH blade (1" diameter) I will gain 150 RPM. The same applies if I increase the length. We all know that you can limit your max RPM by the size and pitch of the prop but there are design differences between every manufacturer that will either gain or lose performance. Just some thoughts that probably don't play into the conversation as much as I'd like to be able to relay. They do make sense in my head though. 

Posted

Wish I could help in this area. I've designed and built my own props for exactly the reasons you guys bring up. Not to mention the cost. The last few I built would out perform anything that I had that was "store" bought. With the insurance requirements I can't afford to make them for others though. 

One thing that I've found on my 60 HP VW, 1" of prop diameter is equal to about 150 RPM. So if I decrease my diameter 1/2" on EACH blade (1" diameter) I will gain 150 RPM. The same applies if I increase the length. We all know that you can limit your max RPM by the size and pitch of the prop but there are design differences between every manufacturer that will either gain or lose performance. Just some thoughts that probably don't play into the conversation as much as I'd like to be able to relay. They do make sense in my head though. 

Hijacking the thread... Do you use a constant pitch (of course the angle changes) from root to tip or do you modify it as a function of diameter?

Posted

Hijacking the thread... Do you use a constant pitch (of course the angle changes) from root to tip or do you modify it as a function of diameter?

I use a constant pitch as determined by the "simple" math involved for each station. Since I use select wood and can orient my grain I've found that I can also allow it to twist so it acts somewhat like a constant speed prop. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it though. 

I do not pretend to be a professional prop maker, only that I've found what works really well for me. My dad and I built a machine to hep us rough out the basic shape then go at it by hand to finish them out. This way we can make sure they are statically balanced and run true. The machine does a pretty rough cut overall but gets us really close to what we want. It still takes about 8 hours to get from wood blank to a prop that is ready for finish, not including drilling holes. I've spent over 20 hours more an a prop just coating in fiberglass. One of these days I'll set up and do one with vacuum bagging but that's another story entirely.

Long winded answer to a short question. Yup, that's me. 

Posted

Frank makes my props...has a good standing with a lot of folks and a vast knowledge of the trade. Give him a call

http://performancepropellersusa.com/home.htm

Thanks I shot him an email we'll see what he says

Posted

I just replaced my 15 year old 2200 with a new 2200 - now have 26 hours on it.  After fooling around with several wood props, I got a 62" Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop - it's perfect.  I can dial it in to exactly the RPM's I want.  Climb, WOT speed, cruise speed, and fuel burn are all better.  The best prop I had before was a 62" X 40" Sensenich wood prop.  I also had a Props, Inc. 60" X 42" wood prop on the old engine and it wouldn't turn it fast enough - tried it on the new engine and it was over revving.  

I checked out "everyone" before I got the Sensenich - there seems to be an unfounded bias against the Jabiru engine - I'm on my 2nd and love it.

Posted

Did you go with another Jabiru engine, or is it the Cammit/Jabiru engine?  Jim Chuk

Posted

Yes, straight from Jabiru.  Glad good weather is back - time to go flying.

Posted

I was told by Pete at Jabiru that the Whirlwind 66" 2 blade carbon fiber prop was working well for Jab owners. They are a bit spendy, but the scimitar shape does keep the noise level down and as we know making noise does take some off your available thrust.

The only draw back I see is that with my Warp prop that I used on my 582 I could remove the prop without disturbing the pitch. With the Whirlwind you can't do that. However, how often do you need to remove the prop.

Mine has worked well on my Jab 2200. They are made close to where I live here in SoCal.