Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted

My kf5 has a heater core and fan (kitfox option)

I'll shoot some pics of the system for ya as soon as i get back to the plane.

Another thing you could do is duct off the back of the main radiator.  Run the duct up into the cabin with an air gate.  Just make sure that you are not downstream of the exhaust outlet!!

Keep your pics and updates coming!!

Posted (edited)

Ok had to head to the barn to pick up snowmos (supposed to get a foot of snow here tomorrow night).  

Got some pics of the cabin heater, I'll post a new topic so that anyone else looking can find it easier, and I dont want to hijack here.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

This is the latest header from steve henry. Their equal length and they join cyl. 1-4 and 2-3. He says it is supposed to flow better making the engine even more smoother and more powererful. 

500938310.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

More for the archive:  CARB CLEANING 

The guys in the rx1 snowmo forum talk quite frequently about the importance of keeping these carbs clean.  Most of them do it once a year.

Here is a great post with schematics, how to, and tips:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/carb-cleaning-tips-and-procedure.97997/#post-869705

Of course there are some YouTube vids as well!

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Thanks for the info Joey, may have to do the same but was hoping since I already have a heater core and fan in the cabin from the soob that there might be a place to run into the coolant lines ,have to take a better look . Seems to me in the kitfox 2 that we ended up plumbing in a thermobob (think thats what it was call)  in line thermostat and running the heater core ahead of it

Thanks for all the info Brett,good to have as much info as possible on these machines.

Steves exhuast looks impressive.I think he should start selling all his previous exhuast systems off, save alot of head aches for us :BC:I figured I would try the bike exhaust to start  since we dont Have a mandrel bender handy 

Posted

This is the latest header from steve henry. Their equal length and they join cyl. 1-4 and 2-3. He says it is supposed to flow better making the engine even more smoother and more powererful. 

500938310.jpg

I am not sure who is doing his welding but you should tell them to turn up the purge and turn down the heat.. or pulse it.  That ss is looking pretty cooked.

:BC:

Posted

I'm surprised how nice the Honda pipes seem to fit on the engine.  If they are the right size pipes, I would think that would be the way to go.  Way less work than building your own.  And probably not to hard to find either.  JImChuk

Posted

Those pipes of Steves are not stainless. Their carbon steel and he is offering them for sale.

1 person likes this

Posted

We had to cut a refit the pipes,they are 1/8" larger diameter 1 1/2" and the rx1 is 1 3/8" but was alot cheeper the buying a 4-1 merge collector and all the 90's

Posted

We had to cut a refit the pipes,they are 1/8" larger diameter 1 1/2" and the rx1 is 1 3/8" but was alot cheeper the buying a 4-1 merge collector and all the 90's

Did you per chance try to see if the snowmo header would work?

I see that greg at Mohawk Aero runs a few of his setups with the stock header.

Posted

Beings Steve has been through 5 sets of headers trying to get the power to work right in an airplane I am gonna guess if the snomow ones did fit you would hate the power delivery.

Posted

I'm sure you're right Joey, he isn't doing all that work just for the fun of it.  I imagine he also is trying to get maximum performance out of the engine.  Would that be 140 HP?  I imagine 110HP in a 650 lb. KItfox 4 would be as much as I would want to handle, and maybe more.   If the Honda exhaust would work even with a somewhat reduced HP, it might not be that bad a way to go.  Not many people with Steve's skill at building an exhaust system.  Certainly not me!  :-)  JImChuk

Posted

Did you per chance try to see if the snowmo header would work?

I see that greg at Mohawk Aero runs a few of his setups with the stock header.

The Rx1 exhaust shoots straight out of the engine under the seat out the back of the machine, I was orginally going to use it and weld in some 90's but but unless you ran it like Steves it would be hard to fit under the cowl,thats why I looked for the header with a 4-1 merge collector, its was super light ,not sure how much horse power im going to loose but Like Jim says110 or 120 HP will be plenty for me

Posted (edited)

Yeah I was just thinking that the stock snowmo is supposed to be in that 130-140 hp range, so it must be breathing fairly well right?

That said, yes they made aftermarket headers for the sled that give further improvements (and look really sweet like Steve and Willis').  Guess it just depends on how much performance you want to eek out.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Do you have any pictures or a link to these aftermarket headers to fit the RX1 sled. I've never seen or heard of any headers,(other than the ones for turbos) just an aftermarket muffler to cut some weight.

Ken..........

Posted

Do you have any pictures or a link to these aftermarket headers to fit the RX1 sled....

Right, I rescind.  I made a mistake and confused the headers made for the turbo application.

The only N/A headers I found are for the injected (apex) and apper to be marketed not for performance gain, but to replace the factory titanium headers which proved to be brittle.

http://mbrpsnow.com/index.php?page=products&part=134

The reason I posted the question was to see what people's opinions of the stock header were.  I am trying to collect parts for my project and since it appears that the stock headers perform well in the sled (which I guess is supported by the fact that aftermarket companies have no offerings), I  wondered if they could be fit into the airplane and if they were found to work adequately.

Sorry for the mistake!

Posted

Those pipes of Steves are not stainless. Their carbon steel and he is offering them for sale.

ahhh.. my bad.  They look like stainless... and they looked a bit burned up. 

Posted

Maybe that's from annealing after welding?  EDMO

Posted

Maybe that's from annealing after welding?  EDMO

ehhhh... no.  :lol:

Posted

Leni - always wondered - can stainless be welded to mild steel/4130?  Donno when that would be wanted - just wondering.   EDMO

Posted

yes it can.. you just use 309 rod when welding SS to carbon.  We weld it to carbon almost every day here at work putting on gauge valves etc.

1 person likes this

Posted

Speaking about welding stainless steel, and from someone who knows very little about welding, and ain't afraid to admit it ;-)  Just for the fun of it once I brazed a couple of pieces of SS together.  I don't know what type of SS it was, It came from a SS kick plate off a door.  I was surprised how well it held.  Never used it on anything, but maybe could in the future??  Any thoughts Leni?  JImChuk

Posted

They did a lot of brazing in the past, but again, it all comes down to the grade of material and what the intended purpose of it is... I welded some aluminum together with 309 SS rod.. welded like shit but it held :lol: 

I don't think I would put a whole lot of faith in a high strength area brazing it together but for small brackets etc I don't see why not.

Posted

For anybody still wanting rotax C gearbox's. LEAF has 3 of them on the shelf.

Posted

I was on the phone first thing this morning and they are no longer available. I was told they had one coming in next week so I put it on back order. Guess we will see if that happens. Wish me luck.