Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know what the deal is. I just talked to Terry and his says it'timed out also. I can click on either one and they both come up. Maybe c5engineer can get his videos to work. Anyway Terry told me to put the particulars of his plane on here.

It originally had a 503 with a Warpdrive prop on it and weighed 405 pounds.

Added  new landing gear

4 caliper Matco brakes

Matco 8'' wheels with 22' manco tires

RX1 engine ,radiator,oil tank,and all the goodies to make the 4 stroke work

Matco 8'' dual fork tailwheel

74'' Prince P tip prop.

Empty wieight was 560# and 15# had to be added to the tail

Ken............

Posted

Way cool guys!

And thanks Teal!   I'll give ya a call here in a couple days.

Posted

My son showed me how to put it on you tube so here is the first run up of the RX1, wiring and hoses are just hanging till we seen if it ran 

3 people like this

Posted

Sweet sound of power!

Congrats Willis!  A lot of work to get there, but I bet hearing it run makes it all worth it!

Posted (edited)

Has the prop been tested for that level of RPM?  :huh:

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

That's why it has a gearbox,:o

Posted

The RX1 engine is designed to run at a peak of 10500 rpms and has a gear reduction built into it that makes the output shaft rpm about 8500. That and the gear reduction on the gearbox will get the prop speed down to where it needs to be. I've run my turbo RX1 to 11000 when I was grass dragging it.

Ken........

Posted (edited)

Cool that's good to know.  What size prop did he end up with?  I want to see that rocket take off.

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

Have you guys done any pull testing yet? I'd love to know how many lbs you're pulling with that prop. 

Posted

They are waiting on the Luga prop to arrive from Europe. 

IMG_5853.JPG

Posted

Purty!

Posted

A big thanks to Teal for taking a few hours of his time to show me around his shop and hangars!

Great to see (and hear!) the Yamaha in various stages of conversion.

I still need to get my rx1 tuned up a bit and running to full power in the sled, then hope to get to the job of pulling it and getting it in the airplane.

Thanks again Teal!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thought I would post a picture of the throttle setup we came up with to use the RX1 throttle cable with the existing throttle cable I had in the plane ,it works well.Got a few more weeks before its flying but its running awesome

IMG_1434.JPG

Posted

Thought I would post a picture of the throttle setup we came up with to use the RX1 throttle cable with the existing throttle cable I had in the plane ,it works well.Got a few more weeks before its flying but its running awesome

IMG_1434.JPG

Cool!

I was wondering how that was done.  So I assume that this is a mod on a 2 stroke throttle mechanism?  

Can you send measurements (from pivot to the yam cable and to the cockpit pushrod).

Also, how much travel do you have on the cockpit throttle control.

Thanks!

Posted

My brother built the throttle mechanism from scratch,I will get you the measurements soon as it warms up a bit and im over at the plane,the cabin throttle cable had roughly 3 times the travel length as the rx1 cable,we also put a shroud over the exhuast header and ducted into the cabin and it diffenently cranks out the heat:BC:

Posted

What size radiator is everyone using? Is anyone using an oil cooler?

Posted

Thanks for the reply do you have pictures?  I checked the website but did not find it.

Posted

One thing to note: the Yamaha engines do have an oil cooler it is just built into the side of the engine next to the oil filter. It is a liguid to liquid heat exchanger and it uses the engines coolant.

Posted

Teal or anyone ,on the RX1 with wide open throttle and with the plane tied down im getting 8000 rpm with a 72 inch 3 blade warp drive,is this in the ball park of having the right pitch? Just looking for a starting reference for the first flight

1 person likes this

Posted

For the Avid I would bring it up to at least 8500 RPM static. I know we are all used to lower RPMS but with these engines there is no advantage.

Posted

Ok thanks for help:BC:

Posted (edited)

Teal or anyone ,on the RX1 with wide open throttle and with the plane tied down im getting 8000 rpm with a 72 inch 3 blade warp drive,is this in the ball park of having the right pitch? Just looking for a starting reference for the first flight

Getting close to flying!   Congrats!!

Sounds like the same prop I was planning.  I forget, are you using a clutch?

And I'm sure you figured for it, but I did run into a limp mode (6000 rpm max) on my RX1 on the snow when the overheat light came on.  I think Greg Mills uses a certain resistor in place of the temp sender to trick the ecu into believing a normal temp value.  But my sled seemed to run fine by simply unplugging the temp wire at the sender.  With it unplugged I can't see how you would encounter a limp... right?

Keep us posted Willis!

And FYI for anyone... the RX1 snowmobile hits 10,200 rpm (142 HP) every full throttle application.  And Teals reccomendation for 8500 would result in a PTO output shaft rpm of about 7200 (with the 1.19 engine internal reduction) @ approx 127 HP.  Point being that 8500 sounds like a lot... but it really is a pretty big derate.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted (edited)

Reference for my last post.  I think this chart was posted earlier?  (I stole it from someone...)  ;)

RX-1_CPR_Dyno.thumb.jpg.2dccc61b1ebbd13378c0da21f622f623.jpg

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

And I'm sure you figured for it, but I did run into a limp mode (6000 rpm max) on my RX1 on the snow when the overheat light came on.  I think Greg Mills uses a certain resistor in place of the temp sender to trick the ecu into believing a normal temp value.  But my sled seemed to run fine by simply unplugging the temp wire at the sender.  With it unplugged I can't see how you would encounter a limp... right?

Keep us posted Willis!

And FYI for anyone... the RX1 snowmobile hits 10,200 rpm (142 HP) every full throttle application.  And Teals reccomendation for 8500 would result in a PTO output shaft rpm of about 7200 (with the 1.19 engine internal reduction) @ approx 127 HP.  Point being that 8500 sounds like a lot... but it really is a pretty big derate.

It is getting close ,got to finish off the new wing struts and redo the weight and balance, I don't have a clutch on my engine,it seems to start fine but not sure when its -20 how it will do.My brother is the mechanic so im not sure how he bypassed the limp mode ,I will ask him. I do know since we are using the yamaha tach display, we had to put in a couple of small lamps with the right resistence to take the place of the fuel sender and handle bar warmer ,otherwise we would get an engine warning light flashing on the display

Posted

Keep us posted Willis!

It is getting close ,got to finish off the new wing struts and redo the weight and balance, I don't have a clutch on my engine,it seems to start fine but not sure when its -20 how it will do.My brother is the mechanic so im not sure how he bypassed the limp mode ,I will ask him. I do know since we are using the yamaha tach display, we had to put in a couple of small lamps with the right resistence to take the place of the fuel sender and handle bar warmer ,otherwise we would get an engine warning light flashing on the display

Steve Henry told me his always started great cold it was hot starting without the clutch that he had issues with.