Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Jody ,welcome aboard,I finally receive my egts and we are also running lean, we were going to try going up 0ne or 2 sizes in main jet once we see what we have in there,probably the factory ones.Setting the prop to 8 degress pitch we were able to reach 9000 rpm, Post up some pics of your highlander project always:BC:

Posted

Nothing too much to post yet.  Looks like a higlanger without a nose and a motor on the ground beside it.   I'm currently upgrading the landing gear and brakes, while I await getting my PSRU and clutch.  Greg is going to fit one of his new clutches to Teals adapter set up.  Once I get the welding  done and fabric patched  where I changed the landing gear and tires I'll hang the engine.  Steve made my mount, header, air box and coolant tank.  So I'm hoping with all those parts it'll come together reasonably quick.  The first photo is before I hacked it all up, the second is current condition. 

Jody 

watermarked_65925db9e01440221fb4088b487152c7.jpg

20170322_153911.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Very nice bird and with Steves parts and knowledge it should really help speed up your build,Hopefully get some landing gear like yours some day:)

1 person likes this

Posted

Which Polaris Radiator are you guys using the 800 or the 900/1000?

Thanks,

Jody

Posted

800. You can get them EBAY for  $63.00  free shipping.

Posted (edited)

I have a line on a nytro that damn near killed my cousin a few years ago.  Engine etc is still good but the rest of the sled is toast in a big way.. I am waiting for a replay from him on the year of the sled.  Any ideas is this is a viable candidate to yank the engine and stuff it in the nose of a plane?

Edited by akflyer

Posted

Thanks,

Others might be interested in this as well.

Image result for polaris 7052373

Posted

I have a line on a nytro that damn near killed my cousin a few years ago.  Engine etc is still good but the rest of the sled is toast in a big way.. I am waiting for a replay from him on the year of the sled.  Any ideas is this is a viable candidate to yank the engine and stuff it in the nose of a plane?

Leni, I think your post lasted about 2 seconds before it was covered up.  EDMO

Posted

nothing gets covered up, it still is in the thread and shows up to everyone who has an interst in the thread.  :lol:

:BC:

Posted

nothing gets covered up, it still is in the thread and shows up to everyone who has an interst in the thread.  :lol:

Guess I miss lots, since I usually just read the most current post unless I am real nosey about something.  :BC:     EdMO

Posted

Don't think the Nytro has a spot to mount the adapter, Not saying you cant build one, also the 3 cylinder will probably have a big counter balance on the crank which may make it heaver, But I will say my Old man has a turbo ed nytro and he beats the crap out of it after 5 years and zero problems tells me there nice engines

Posted

I thought  Greg from mohawk areo has a adapter for the 3 cylinder yamaha ,I maybe wrong but might want to touch base with him

Posted (edited)

Yeah,  Greg knows of the trike guys who have adapted the 3cyl nytro motor.  Think he makes an adapter.  But only one FW guy that I have heard of (in Norway) who has done it.

Like the Apex efi, you'd obviously have some hoops to jump through with regard to the harness and limp mode overrides.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

I think I will pass on this.  I have enough fires in the oven with current projects. 

Posted

My latest RX1 install

20170409_161148.jpg

20170409_161222.jpg

20170409_161212.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Very clean install.  What kind of trike is that?  Seems like quite a bit of HP for a trike.

Posted

Looking great Teal! 

Send some pics of your Avid progress when you can!!

Posted

Yes looks very cool :BC:

Posted

Attached an engine today.

20170412_165116.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Yes looks very cool :BC:

in thinking about your prop pitch theory, remember.  HP tells you how fast you will hit the wall, TQ tells you how far the wall will move when you hit it.  I would be willing to be that the subie actually has a bit more TQ at a given RPM than the yammy does.  HP is not the end all to making a plane perform, without the TQ to swing the prop with a good amount of pitch you just end up beating the air into submission.  6-8 degrees of pitch is not really that much.  Each turn of the prop is really not pulling you forwards that much.

Take a climb prop for a 150 hp lyco for example.  say a cruise prop for it is 76X56 (in inches) the go to climb prop is either an 82X41 or an 80X42.  6° is going to be closer to 10 or so inches of pitch if that (I am just pulling that number out of the air so it is probably brown and stinky).. bottom line is, without the TQ to spin the prop at a higher pitch, what is really being gained.  The videos I have seen of the yamaha conversions so far have not really gotten me too excited about building one for a purely STOL aircraft. 

Posted (edited)

I think I have the Torque / HP curves for the EA-81, but don't remember if they show standard curves, or the modified cam curves which brings the peak starting from 4800 rpm down to 3600, or both, I think?  I cant see where turning 10,000 rpm vs 5000 rpm would give you the same engine life.  ??? EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would be more interested in the WEIGHT comparison.   Torque is multiplied in the gearbox.  

Posted

Maybe someone can explain to me why turning a prop at say 6 degrees pitch is going to fly as fast as a the same prop at 12 degrees without doubling the prop speed, which you cant do without going sonic?  EDMO

Posted

I can't explain it Ed but I talked to Sterba one time about these mysteries.   One would think that your speed would be equal to the prop pitch multiplied by the RPM but it ain't so.  It goes faster.  Has something to do with what sailors call apparent wind.....or something.  

Posted (edited)

My reasoning is like Leni's - A flatter pitch climb prop will get you off the ground faster, but then it takes smaller bites out of the air than a cruise prop with more pitch at the same rpms, and don't go as fast.  That is where the IFA really performs!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO