Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Any of the digital tachometers that I have looked at only go to 9999 rpm and it would be nice to have a steam styled gauge to match the rest. I am told that I need one to count 6 pulses pre revolution. Any suggestions where I might find such an animal in a 2 inch?

I don't know why you would need 6 pulses/rev. on a 4cyl/4stroke engine.  My tach has a switch on the back to set it for 4,6,8 cylinder engines.  ???  My tach probably only goes to 10K - I never cared what it went to because I only turn about 5K max.  I also bought a Tiny Tach knockoff.  You might find a SnoGo or Racing Car tach that goes to 12K, but guess most are digital now?   What does Yamaha use?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The pulses per rev

Has nothing to do with the number of cyl. Or number of cycles it fires at. It is only the number of electric pulses the ignition or lighting coil puts out per rotation. I believe this engine uses the lighting coils pulses which is probably 6 lighting coils.

Posted

The pulses per rev

Has nothing to do with the number of cyl. Or number of cycles it fires at. It is only the number of electric pulses the ignition or lighting coil puts out per rotation. I believe this engine uses the lighting coils pulses which is probably 6 lighting coils.

I didn't know any tachs worked off of lighting coils, but there is a lot about SnoGos I don't know.  All the tachs I know about just take a signal from one plug wire.   EDMO

Posted

A new nose is shaping up.  A little fairing compound and it'll look pretty decent

20170505_161058.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Is that a hidden piano hinge wire I see sticking out in front?  Nice job.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yep

Posted

Yeah man!

Hope mine turns out half as nice as that!

Posted

Cowl getting a fat lip for the new radiator....

20170523_163623.jpg

Posted

The radiator and female side of mold.

20170523_195239.jpg

20170523_200331.jpg

Posted

20170525_215336.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

20170601_203901.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Very nice!

And thanks for the pics.  It'll help to give me some ideas on putting mine together!

:BC:

Going with a Kool prop?

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

can you run a two blade prop with the RX-1. is it possible to save weight that way?

Posted (edited)

can you run a two blade prop with the RX-1. is it possible to save weight that way?

Steve henry has a couple hundred hours with a 2 blade prince with good results.  I like the idea of that to save MMOI more than straight weight.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Got the RX-1 fired up last night now I'm getting excited. Has anyone tapped into the oil pressure test port on the head and if so what oil pressure are you reading?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You really have an outstanding accomplishment.

You mentioned the oil test port.  A spring loaded check valve and auxiliary/prelube oil pump may be able to hook directly into the oil pressure test port.

Since the RX-1 is a pressurized oil system, I wonder if its TBO would benefit from a pre-lube pump and maybe even a pre-heater incorporated into the pre-lube system?   This could additionally provide a convenient means of having a light weight cabin heater system.

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html

Since the RX1 was made to be a vertical motorcycle engine, I would imagine the oil pickup would lose oil pickup supply during negative G's, climbing, slipping, and (if considered) inverted operations.

I would guess that Winter and daily starting, as well as starting after long times between starting, would benefit from pre-lube and pre-heat.

exa-pump-with-new-heatsink_trimmed-2[1].jpg

Edited by JimD

Posted (edited)

Not sure of the negative G's, but cold weather starts, I envision, should not be an issue, as these are sled engines.  I had one and it would fire up easily, even at -10F.  Quite incredible for a 4 stroke.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

Here is a picture of the  engine mount glen (flyingwrench) makes and has for sale.

20170426_194001.jpg

how can we get ahold of the flying wrench? 

Posted

Glen David (AKA flying wrench)

(623) 256-4115

Posted

Was there any mention of what this motor mount costs?  JImChuk

Posted

I would agree that the pump is a nice little ad-on but would rather be able to monitor oil pressure. On a different subject what is everyone using for a tractor prop diameter and pitch?  I have limited ground clearance in my Zenair CH701

Posted

First start up.  It fired right up.... after I opened the fuel valve.

20170706_215731.mp4

2 people like this

Posted

Are you running a clutch on there?

Posted

Yes, rk 400