Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted

How did she perform?

Posted

The pilot said it handled well.  Currently the prop is pitched at 8200 RPM full throttle static.  He only ran it up to about 8000.  85 degree OAT, temps ran right at 215.  

Slow flight IAS about 25, at 8000 RPM IAS around 80.

That's about all I have for now, now I just need to learn to fly a short coupled tail dragger.........

Jody

1 person likes this

Posted

Our Avid speed wing project flew great yestarday. just a quick flight around the pattern but initial numbers are impressive. need more test flights to validate climb rates and such but it looks really promising

avid.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

How much for a mount?

Posted

The reason I built the one piece adapter instead of stacking components on top of the orginal case cover is because I was concerned about maintaing concentricity between the gearbox and the engine output shaft. As on the adapter that Todd was making for the 3 cylinder engine. A one piece billet design also has more rigidity then a stacked component design and thats not my opinion its fact. The stacked design relies on the bolt tension to maintain rigidity. I chose the Rotax C gearbox because of it long reputation with using it on alternate engines. I personally built a turbo charged Honda long Ez and used a C gearbox. I flew it for 400 hours before I sold it. I couldnt find anybody that had gearbox failures because they couldnt handle the power i however did find 2 occurances of C gearbox failures because the adapter did not hold the gearbox rigid to the engine and the alignment got off (concentricity). Steve Henry did have a bearing failure with the c box and my adapter but after further investigation it appears it might have been a damaged bearing. He has over 150 hours sInce then on A c gearbox now flying with 180hp on take off using nitrous. As far as the Rk400 clutch Im not sure why someone would need to tear it down every 75 hours. Where did this information come from?

1 person likes this

Posted

How long is motor to prop hub? Sound like the motor will be 4in above my cowling.:o

Posted

Added Oil Pressure

Oil.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

How much for a mount?

I think he said $1,500

Posted

Good discussion all around. 

> As far as the Rk400 clutch Im not sure why someone would need to tear it down every 75 hours. Where did this information come from?

The RK400 requires an inspection of the friction surfaces every 75 hours, per the manufacturer's instructions.   This requires draining/removing the gearbox, of course.   Pretty quick job, I've never felt overly burdened with doing it.  

Posted

The integrated purpose built Apex Gearbox is coming Along. I should be machine my first housing in about a month. 

gearbox4.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Its beautiful Teal. 

Posted (edited)

Talk about blowing smoke!!

A lot of us here know Teal, and know how humble and great of a guy he is.

I doubt he has made more than lunch money along the way for all the hard work he has done, and I'm sure he has no regrets... because he is not it this for the money.  He does all this development as a side hobby to his normal job.... all out of the love for the sport, the yamaha engine, and helping others. 

This blowhard "fake news" of a rant you just posted shows alot Greg.  Man that post is a case study example of using "high and mighty" unsubstantiated garbage in an easy to see through cheap shot attempt to play the oldest juvenile card in the book:  Trying to propel one's self upward by grabbing at people around them and dragging them down.

As far as the reputation of Teal's kit,  I'll let the real world track record and results of those flying it speak for themselves.

Greg, you know I've been a strong ally for you along the way... just look at the posts I've made here on your stuff and all the contributions I have made on FB.  But this is way out of line, (as was deleting the posts I made merely showing Teals products over on your Facebook Group).

I would have preferred to continue to be your ally Greg, but the time has come to call you out for being so unfair.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2
Toned her down a bit... I was really pissed when I first wrote it.
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm not in this game, but sure that others are - How do you determine which vendor is truthful, and which is full of advertising BS?  I have tried to read all the posts to understand them.  Maybe one of my planes someday will be powered by one of these engines - I hope the smoke clears before then.   I did a lot of research back in the 1990s on Hi-Vo chain drives, like they use in screaming race car engines - even talked to one builder of Hi-Vo redrive for EA-81 engine in Nikiski Alaska and got plans from him, but never built one - I think they are probably the most "Bullet-proof", even better than the good cogged belt drive on my Dave Johnson engine and on Stratus engines,  but don't know a thing about clutches.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Heck, I'm arguably the least experienced/least knowledgeable person on this site. FWIW, I won't give a penny to any vendor who's tone puts me off. I honestly like what I see in the MA product line. However, slinging mud is a horrid form of promotion.

Sing the virtues of your product and leave the insults at the door.

7 people like this

Posted

At this point I feel as if I must chime in:

If you've followed this post you know I recently re-powered my Highlander with a Yamaha.  I originally had planned to use the Mohawk/Greg's clutch that was advertised as ready to go.  Long story short I was delayed for over a month getting it fitted and once I received the part it was recalled before I could even install it.  The particular clutch I had received had failed, been rebuilt and failed again with another customer (which was the reason for the recall).  Greg's attitude through the entire process basically was as if he was doing me a favor and I should be having fun experimenting with his parts on my experimental.  I quickly felt as if I as if I would be testing a prototype of his clutch and got to the point that I did not trust him.  I did offer to continue working with him if he would provide a free clutch, but he refused.   On the other side of the coin Teal Jenkins, Steve Henry, Twisted Metal Racing and Rotax Rick provided professional and prompt delivery of products with impeccable support on the re-power.    All these guys are great, they're having fun helping folks get in the air.  Simply put the money is secondary.   I'm sure a 75 hour inspection will be less hassle than what I experienced working with Greg.  The unprofessional nature of his post is very much indicative of my experience. 

Jody  

4 people like this

Posted

And I  edited my last post.  Toned it down a little (probably still not toned down enough LOL) 

Sorry for getting a little fired up and feisty!

:wacko:

Posted (edited)

Catholic Sister:  "Those working men are uncouth, vulgar, and I don't want the children to walk thru that construction site"!

Mother Superior:  "Why Sister?  Those men are hard working, salt of the earth, honest, they just call a Spade a Spade".

Catholic Sister:  "No they don't - They call it a F'n Shovel"!

Call it as you see it - No apologies needed, IMO.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

This is Steve Henry and I’ve never been on this forum before but Greg‘s  accusations towards my friend Teal was brought to my attention so I thought I should say something. 

I have known Teal for several years now and he has always been very truthful and honest with me as I’m sure he is with everyone else.  He has never said he would do or provide anything for me that he hasn’t 100% followed through with.  I have met Teal personally, and spent time with him, I’ve been to his house and shop and hanger.  He’s the kind of guy that I wish was my neighbor instead of a friend who lives 800 miles away. I could give you examples of things where he has gone above and beyond but I just don’t like to spend too much time doing these posts. 

Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft  

7 people like this

Posted

Speaks volumes, right there.

Thanks for stoping by, Steve.  Please come back again.

2 people like this

Posted

I purchased an adapter from Teal for an RX-1 conversion. I installed that adapter and there is no doubt it was made with care and precision. Teal offered me other items to build my engine mount and electrical system. His prices were more than fair. I had trouble with my adapter fitting. Teal offered to send me another one immediately but took his personal time to help me find the problem which was extra casting on the ROTAX Flywheel causing clearance issues.

This is the second attack on Teal I’ve witnessed from Greg on an open form. The last one Teal respectfully countered and Greg toned it way down.

Greg, instead of batting your gums about Teals product how about you work on proving your own product and getting it out to people who can verify it’s worth to the marketplace. This Experimental business is full of blowhards claiming the next best thing. What we as Experimenters want is proof in product. Maybe you have some good products but we have not seen them and Teal as you can see from people’s testament has proven his and made a few good friends in the process. You might be the worlds best engineer Greg but talking mad crap about another mans product just seems like a real sorry business angle.

Vance Simons

Post Falls, Idaho

6 people like this

Posted

Hmmm sound like a legend in your own mind, I also dealt with Teal and he was a very helpful straight shooting guy and have had no issues with his adapter or c drive, time will tell I guess. I think your post will drive away more business than it creates unfortunately ,not my way of doing business

2 people like this

Posted

Unfortunate, but hurling insults and character assassination somehow became a tolerated part of the business game. In my business experience, acknowledgement and respect for competitors strengths produced much better long term results for me. Doesn't matter if you build a better mousetrap, not many folks will beat a path to your door when they have to wade thru chest-deep horseshit to buy one. Whatever, there are some lessons best learned the hard way. I'll say the same thing I said many pages back... Info and products from multiple vendors is a good thing, just look at the popularity of this thread. Choice of E-AB products is sorely needed but buyers do your research well and, as always, caveat emptor.

2 people like this

Posted

I got to hang out with Teal at the High Sierra Fly In and I recently made a large purchase from him. Nothing but good things to say.

Posted

Talk about blowing smoke!!

A lot of us here know Teal, and know how humble and great of a guy he is.

I doubt he has made more than lunch money along the way for all the hard work he has done, and I'm sure he has no regrets... because he is not it this for the money.  He does all this development as a side hobby to his normal job.... all out of the love for the sport, the yamaha engine, and helping others. 

This blowhard "fake news" of a rant you just posted shows alot Greg.  Man that post is a case study example of using "high and mighty" unsubstantiated garbage in an easy to see through cheap shot attempt to play the oldest juvenile card in the book:  Trying to propel one's self upward by grabbing at people around them and dragging them down.

As far as the reputation of Teal's kit,  I'll let the real world track record and results of those flying it speak for themselves.

Greg, you know I've been a strong ally for you along the way... just look at the posts I've made here on your stuff and all the contributions I have made on FB.  But this is way out of line, (as was deleting the posts I made merely showing Teals products over on your Facebook Group).

I would have preferred to continue to be your ally Greg, but the time has come to call you out for being so unfair.

100% agree. I could not even read through the post above this one. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

REALLY?! I've been following this threat with great interest as I had the opportunity to see Willis' (Marshawk) Yamaha Conversion come to life with Teal's help. I don't have a re-drive or Yamaha yet, ..but don't think it will ever be bearing a Mohawk sticker.  Just my .02 cents! ;-) 

Edited by bcbushcaddy
1 person likes this