Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was on the phone first thing this morning and they are no longer available. I was told they had one coming in next week so I put it on back order. Guess we will see if that happens. Wish me luck.

Give tony up at Twisted Metal Racing a call.  I got one from him with a clutch last month.  I got a great deal with the can exchange rate.  Sounded like he had a few more.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Got a few more pieces on the avid project including the 37 Chevy :lmao:Just wondering whats the best egt setup,not sure if one gauge with 4 egt readings (if it exists) or go with 2 gauges.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You can use a single gauge and then use a 4 position switch to switch from the one probe to the next.   You can even wire the switch to control the EGTs and the CHTs going to different gauges or opposite sides on a dual gauge with the one 4 position switch. It's actually got 8 connections on the back, but only 4 are wired when you get it.   That's how I had my Avid MK IV with a Jabiru wired up.  JImChuk

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/westcombos7.php?clickkey=62470

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Nice truck - I have photos near a 35 Chevy truck my grandfather owned.  Of course, it was black.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks Jim , I'll check into that setup, Ed, thats my brothers project he rescued from a hard life on the farm, was pretty beat up but hes getting it look like new again.

Posted (edited)

I rode in that 35 truck from 41 to 45, then my Uncle came home from the war and one day he was driving it and a tie-rod came loose and he crashed it head-on into a tree.  I never saw it after that.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Looking good Willis!

Just make sure you do a Weight & Balance on that setup before you fly.

Thinking she might be a little tail heavy with the Chevy mounted in that location.

:lmao:

Posted

LOL  :rolleyes:

Posted

Thanks ,Ill move the chevy forward a bit more:BC:,does anyone happen to know the oil capacity for the c drive, the way it is mounted side ways on the RX1 I cant use  the overflow bung.

Posted

I found it ,it's 6.7 oz if anyone else is interested

1 person likes this

Posted

Which direction? I think it's different depending on if it's upright or upside down but I could be wrong.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Joey ,I should of mention that in my case the shaft is at the top so it takes the 6.7 oz its takes quite a bit less if its on the bottom, I dont have the rotax book handy to know the exact amount.

Edited by marshawk
forgot something

Posted (edited)

We got the Rx1 running and its sounding pretty nice, the one problem  I got is the handle bar warmer circut has no off switch its either on low or high, thought it would be cool having a heated grip on the stick till summer came lol,guess we will just install a resistor. I got a small video but guess its to larger to upload here and cant figure out you tube yet but ill keep trying. By the way does anyone know the drying time in between coats of poly spray,hard to find any info on it, the wing extensions are done and ready for spraying

Edited by marshawk
1 person likes this

Posted

Subject to temperature the manual says 15 minutes between the Poly-Brush and Morning to Afternoon for the silver Poly-Spray. Best I could find...

Posted

The AZ Yamaha Avid Flew yesterday for the first time. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The AZ Yamaha Avid Flew yesterday for the first time. 

I'm down in AZ for the month (payson-phx area).  Plan to meet teal and check out his adapter while I'm here.  Can you PM me if you think the AZ Yamaha Avid owner would be open to showing off his machine?(assumimg it is somewhat nearby)

Sure would be cool to see that!

Posted

Yes, ill show you terrys plane it will either be in my shared hangar or at my friends house thats helping terry with the conversion. 

20170107_155813.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

With that prop, it sure has a muscular look to it.  With the light weight and high horsepower, it should climb like a rocket!

Posted

Yes, ill show you terrys plane it will either be in my shared hangar or at my friends house thats helping terry with the conversion. 

20170107_134331.jpg

Posted

20170107_155820.jpg

Posted

He better watch out for that 138 mph speed limit!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted

Teal does this mean the cats out of the bag?

Posted

Now that's a prop!  If the engine can turn it up to a good RPM, there has to be phenomenal performance.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Here's a little video of Terry's Avid.

View My Video

View My Video

Ken...........

Edited by givemeaboost
videos

Posted (edited)

Cant bring it up - says, "you are timed out" ???  I used to put my children in "Time Out", but this is my first time!  Ha!EDMO

Edited by EDMO