Yamaha RX1 Engines

456 posts in this topic

Posted

With that prop, it sure has a muscular look to it.  With the light weight and high horsepower, it should climb like a rocket!

Posted

Yes, ill show you terrys plane it will either be in my shared hangar or at my friends house thats helping terry with the conversion. 

20170107_134331.jpg

Posted

20170107_155820.jpg

Posted

He better watch out for that 138 mph speed limit!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted

Teal does this mean the cats out of the bag?

Posted

Now that's a prop!  If the engine can turn it up to a good RPM, there has to be phenomenal performance.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Here's a little video of Terry's Avid.

View My Video

View My Video

Ken...........

Edited by givemeaboost
videos

Posted (edited)

Cant bring it up - says, "you are timed out" ???  I used to put my children in "Time Out", but this is my first time!  Ha!EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I don't know what the deal is. I just talked to Terry and his says it'timed out also. I can click on either one and they both come up. Maybe c5engineer can get his videos to work. Anyway Terry told me to put the particulars of his plane on here.

It originally had a 503 with a Warpdrive prop on it and weighed 405 pounds.

Added  new landing gear

4 caliper Matco brakes

Matco 8'' wheels with 22' manco tires

RX1 engine ,radiator,oil tank,and all the goodies to make the 4 stroke work

Matco 8'' dual fork tailwheel

74'' Prince P tip prop.

Empty wieight was 560# and 15# had to be added to the tail

Ken............

Posted

Way cool guys!

And thanks Teal!   I'll give ya a call here in a couple days.

Posted

My son showed me how to put it on you tube so here is the first run up of the RX1, wiring and hoses are just hanging till we seen if it ran 

3 people like this

Posted

Sweet sound of power!

Congrats Willis!  A lot of work to get there, but I bet hearing it run makes it all worth it!

Posted (edited)

Has the prop been tested for that level of RPM?  :huh:

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

That's why it has a gearbox,:o

Posted

The RX1 engine is designed to run at a peak of 10500 rpms and has a gear reduction built into it that makes the output shaft rpm about 8500. That and the gear reduction on the gearbox will get the prop speed down to where it needs to be. I've run my turbo RX1 to 11000 when I was grass dragging it.

Ken........

Posted (edited)

Cool that's good to know.  What size prop did he end up with?  I want to see that rocket take off.

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

Have you guys done any pull testing yet? I'd love to know how many lbs you're pulling with that prop. 

Posted

They are waiting on the Luga prop to arrive from Europe. 

IMG_5853.JPG

Posted

Purty!

Posted

A big thanks to Teal for taking a few hours of his time to show me around his shop and hangars!

Great to see (and hear!) the Yamaha in various stages of conversion.

I still need to get my rx1 tuned up a bit and running to full power in the sled, then hope to get to the job of pulling it and getting it in the airplane.

Thanks again Teal!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thought I would post a picture of the throttle setup we came up with to use the RX1 throttle cable with the existing throttle cable I had in the plane ,it works well.Got a few more weeks before its flying but its running awesome

IMG_1434.JPG

Posted

Thought I would post a picture of the throttle setup we came up with to use the RX1 throttle cable with the existing throttle cable I had in the plane ,it works well.Got a few more weeks before its flying but its running awesome

IMG_1434.JPG

Cool!

I was wondering how that was done.  So I assume that this is a mod on a 2 stroke throttle mechanism?  

Can you send measurements (from pivot to the yam cable and to the cockpit pushrod).

Also, how much travel do you have on the cockpit throttle control.

Thanks!

Posted

My brother built the throttle mechanism from scratch,I will get you the measurements soon as it warms up a bit and im over at the plane,the cabin throttle cable had roughly 3 times the travel length as the rx1 cable,we also put a shroud over the exhuast header and ducted into the cabin and it diffenently cranks out the heat:BC:

Posted

What size radiator is everyone using? Is anyone using an oil cooler?

Posted

This just posted to the Yamaha Apex thread next door, worth mentioning here as well since most folks want/need a clutch to ease starting with these high-spirited, thoroughbred engines:

Production Mohawk GT4 RAM clutches (roller ramp) in-stock today, $695.00 comes with lifetime guarantee. 

Same 2" width as RK400, 3-3/4" diameter (compare to 4-1/2" for RK400).  3lbs 5.8 oz.  Available in 75mm stud bolt input flange pattern for Rotax C or 78mm stud bolt flange pattern for SPG4.  Fits Skytrax RX1 Rotax C adapters and machined (shortened) gearbox housings.  No additional machining required, ready to plug-and-play.  All necessary hardware included.

If you want the beefier SPG4 gearbox, please order through Mohawk Aero as the Air Trikes SPG4 has clearance issues.  If you already have one call and we can work it out. 

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG