Yamaha RX1 Engines

452 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just so you guys know , some of the early rx1 snowmobiles experienced some kind of cracking on the oil tanks because of vibration. It may have been caused by all the bouncing around that a snowmobile goes through which shouldn't be a factor in a plane but I would mount them with some kind of rubber bushings between the tin and the frame. Check out this link.

http://ty4stroke.com/search/682690/?q=cracked+oil+tank&t=post&o=relevance

Ken.........

Edited by givemeaboost
new info

Posted

I finally got a picture to load to this site. Apparently the app I was trying to use is not photo friendly. I have been posting on the Yamaha site on Facebook but was asked to post here. I bought a 2004 RX-1 with 1200 miles on it. It took my three evenings to pull it out of the sled. I purchased an adapter from Teal which I've installed with a new C gearbox. This week I have been gearing up to build the engine mount. I managed to get the side rails built and installed. Now that I can load pictures to this site I will start sharing my progress. This is not going to be installed on an Avid or Kitfox but I hope you can use the information.

20170326_144645.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks much Vance!

Posting all that you have on the Facebook site is a big job in itself!  I'll try and put a link to the Facebook group (created and administered by Greg Mills of Mohawk Aero) so anyone here who is interested can join up over there.

That may help so you don't have to double post everything!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1251356951570824?ref=bookmarks

Brett (aka "Anatoli" as my Facebook alias)

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Those that do not use Facebook would appreciate the info being added here. Thanks

Posted

I took out one degree of pitch in the warp drive prop which brought it down to 10 degrees , it only gained about a 100 rpm on the RX1,WOT was 7900 rpm at the 10 degrees and 7800 rpm at 11 degress, so we are back thinking it maybe a  carburator problem.I ordered a sync pro carburator tuner  and also maybe  a jetting issue, we are at 3000 ft asl, The experimenting continues .:unsure:

Posted (edited)

I think that 1 degree = 100 rpm static change is what the prior owner of my EA-81 and 3-blade Warp Drive told me.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Hi Ed, I wish I had a better memory but I think 1 degree = alot more than 100 rpm on my EA-81 with this same warp drive prop. I had it set at 11 degrees for the soob so im thinking the RX1 with more horsepower would be at least equal to that. If I was to adjust the prop pitch to get the 8500 rpm on the rx1 I would be around the 4 degrees pitch in the prop if each degree = 100rpm , :bugeyes:

Well I got a fast reply back from G.T. Mills and he is saying he usually runs his 3 blade props around 6 or 7 degress on these yamahas so I guess my logic is out the window  and will take a bunch more pitch out :BC:

Edited by marshawk
1 person likes this

Posted

As far as jetting, i know steve henry would be a good resource.

Personally I like teal's use of the O2 sensor to guage air/fuel ratio.

But for a quick check to see how it is performing, I think I would start with a simple thrust pull check once you get it pitched for rpm.  People with experience chime in, but as I understand, a well tuned and healthy  rx1 should pull a bit over 500 lbs.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Ed, I wish I had a better memory but I think 1 degree = alot more than 100 rpm on my EA-81 with this same warp drive prop. I had it set at 11 degrees for the soob so im thinking the RX1 with more horsepower would be at least equal to that. If I was to adjust the prop pitch to get the 8500 rpm on the rx1 I would be around the 4 degrees pitch in the prop if each degree = 100rpm , :bugeyes:

Well I got a fast reply back from G.T. Mills and he is saying he usually runs his 3 blade props around 6 or 7 degress on these yamahas so I guess my logic is out the window  and will take a bunch more pitch out :BC:

I guess that the difference in prop pitch and rpm gain or loss may vary depending on where you are on the torque/power curves?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Regarding carb set up.  I've talked with Steve quite a bit about his and last we talked he was running somewhere around a 180 main jet.  Everything I read seems like running a small air box or just filters calls for a rich environment.   I do recall him speaking highly of the holtzman springs.  I very interested in what others are doing here.  I should have my motor up and running on a highlander in a month or so.   Really open to prop suggestions as well.

Jody 

Edited by Copro
1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Jody ,welcome aboard,I finally receive my egts and we are also running lean, we were going to try going up 0ne or 2 sizes in main jet once we see what we have in there,probably the factory ones.Setting the prop to 8 degress pitch we were able to reach 9000 rpm, Post up some pics of your highlander project always:BC:

Posted

Nothing too much to post yet.  Looks like a higlanger without a nose and a motor on the ground beside it.   I'm currently upgrading the landing gear and brakes, while I await getting my PSRU and clutch.  Greg is going to fit one of his new clutches to Teals adapter set up.  Once I get the welding  done and fabric patched  where I changed the landing gear and tires I'll hang the engine.  Steve made my mount, header, air box and coolant tank.  So I'm hoping with all those parts it'll come together reasonably quick.  The first photo is before I hacked it all up, the second is current condition. 

Jody 

watermarked_65925db9e01440221fb4088b487152c7.jpg

20170322_153911.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Very nice bird and with Steves parts and knowledge it should really help speed up your build,Hopefully get some landing gear like yours some day:)

1 person likes this

Posted

Which Polaris Radiator are you guys using the 800 or the 900/1000?

Thanks,

Jody

Posted

800. You can get them EBAY for  $63.00  free shipping.

Posted (edited)

I have a line on a nytro that damn near killed my cousin a few years ago.  Engine etc is still good but the rest of the sled is toast in a big way.. I am waiting for a replay from him on the year of the sled.  Any ideas is this is a viable candidate to yank the engine and stuff it in the nose of a plane?

Edited by akflyer

Posted

Thanks,

Others might be interested in this as well.

Image result for polaris 7052373

Posted

I have a line on a nytro that damn near killed my cousin a few years ago.  Engine etc is still good but the rest of the sled is toast in a big way.. I am waiting for a replay from him on the year of the sled.  Any ideas is this is a viable candidate to yank the engine and stuff it in the nose of a plane?

Leni, I think your post lasted about 2 seconds before it was covered up.  EDMO

Posted

nothing gets covered up, it still is in the thread and shows up to everyone who has an interst in the thread.  :lol:

:BC:

Posted

nothing gets covered up, it still is in the thread and shows up to everyone who has an interst in the thread.  :lol:

Guess I miss lots, since I usually just read the most current post unless I am real nosey about something.  :BC:     EdMO

Posted

Don't think the Nytro has a spot to mount the adapter, Not saying you cant build one, also the 3 cylinder will probably have a big counter balance on the crank which may make it heaver, But I will say my Old man has a turbo ed nytro and he beats the crap out of it after 5 years and zero problems tells me there nice engines

Posted

I thought  Greg from mohawk areo has a adapter for the 3 cylinder yamaha ,I maybe wrong but might want to touch base with him

Posted (edited)

Yeah,  Greg knows of the trike guys who have adapted the 3cyl nytro motor.  Think he makes an adapter.  But only one FW guy that I have heard of (in Norway) who has done it.

Like the Apex efi, you'd obviously have some hoops to jump through with regard to the harness and limp mode overrides.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

I think I will pass on this.  I have enough fires in the oven with current projects. 

Posted

My latest RX1 install

20170409_161148.jpg

20170409_161222.jpg

20170409_161212.jpg

2 people like this