Yamaha RX1 Engines

446 posts in this topic

Posted

Nice !!!! How is weight distribution? The angle is not so unusual, just wondering how balanced it turned out.

Posted

Got some more work to do before I break out the scales.

Posted

Here is a picture of the  engine mount glen (flyingwrench) makes and has for sale.

20170426_194001.jpg

Posted (edited)

Since the RX1 is a 4 stroke, is it quiet in the cockpit? As compared to a 2 stroke.

Can you post a YouTube with your engine running?

Edited by JimD

Posted

Since the RX1 is a 4 stroke, is it quiet in the cockpit? As compared to a 2 stroke.

The RX-1 turns upwards of 10,000 rpm on takeoff. Steve Henry had to do a lot of trial and error with exhaust systems. He said on his first version it was so loud that it was absolutely deafening in the cockpit.

Posted

The RX-1 turns upwards of 10,000 rpm on takeoff. Steve Henry had to do a lot of trial and error with exhaust systems. He said on his first version it was so loud that it was absolutely deafening in the cockpit.

Might be a good reason to start making the Swiss Mufflers?  EDMO

Posted

Anyone have a recommendation for a analog tachometer preferably a 2 inch version?

Posted

Anyone have a recommendation for a analog tachometer preferably a 2 inch version?

I got a 3" analog tack at O'Reilly Auto Parts - They may have a 2" version?  EDMO

Posted

Recommendation:  Don't buy one. 

This forum is littered with stories of inaccurate and failed analog tachometers.  A digital tach  is far more accurate and reliable. 

Posted

Any of the digital tachometers that I have looked at only go to 9999 rpm and it would be nice to have a steam styled gauge to match the rest. I am told that I need one to count 6 pulses pre revolution. Any suggestions where I might find such an animal in a 2 inch?

Posted (edited)

Any of the digital tachometers that I have looked at only go to 9999 rpm and it would be nice to have a steam styled gauge to match the rest. I am told that I need one to count 6 pulses pre revolution. Any suggestions where I might find such an animal in a 2 inch?

I don't know why you would need 6 pulses/rev. on a 4cyl/4stroke engine.  My tach has a switch on the back to set it for 4,6,8 cylinder engines.  ???  My tach probably only goes to 10K - I never cared what it went to because I only turn about 5K max.  I also bought a Tiny Tach knockoff.  You might find a SnoGo or Racing Car tach that goes to 12K, but guess most are digital now?   What does Yamaha use?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The pulses per rev

Has nothing to do with the number of cyl. Or number of cycles it fires at. It is only the number of electric pulses the ignition or lighting coil puts out per rotation. I believe this engine uses the lighting coils pulses which is probably 6 lighting coils.

Posted

The pulses per rev

Has nothing to do with the number of cyl. Or number of cycles it fires at. It is only the number of electric pulses the ignition or lighting coil puts out per rotation. I believe this engine uses the lighting coils pulses which is probably 6 lighting coils.

I didn't know any tachs worked off of lighting coils, but there is a lot about SnoGos I don't know.  All the tachs I know about just take a signal from one plug wire.   EDMO

Posted

A new nose is shaping up.  A little fairing compound and it'll look pretty decent

20170505_161058.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Is that a hidden piano hinge wire I see sticking out in front?  Nice job.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yep

Posted

Yeah man!

Hope mine turns out half as nice as that!

Posted

Cowl getting a fat lip for the new radiator....

20170523_163623.jpg

Posted

The radiator and female side of mold.

20170523_195239.jpg

20170523_200331.jpg

Posted

20170525_215336.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

20170601_203901.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Very nice!

And thanks for the pics.  It'll help to give me some ideas on putting mine together!

:BC:

Going with a Kool prop?

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

can you run a two blade prop with the RX-1. is it possible to save weight that way?

Posted (edited)

can you run a two blade prop with the RX-1. is it possible to save weight that way?

Steve henry has a couple hundred hours with a 2 blade prince with good results.  I like the idea of that to save MMOI more than straight weight.

Edited by MN Kitfox 2