Yamaha RX1 Engines

562 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What does it accept for prop length?  And bolt pattern?

Edited by TJay

Posted

Prop length is up to 82" and prop bolt circles are. 75mm, 100mm and SAE 1 or 4 3/8"

Posted

Looks nice Teal.  What direction of prop rotation for the tractor config?  Looks like you might have an intermediate gear with the reduction height 

Posted (edited)

The prop. Turns the same direction as the 912. Or the opposite direction as my RX1 set up. Yes there is an extra gear to get the prop centerline closer to the head to make it easier to cowl

Edited by Teal
Typo

Posted

Can you mount the stock oil tank 6in lower than the stock elevation?Would the dipstick read correct?

Posted

Please see Face book yamaha aircraft conversions for this topic and many others

Posted

Very interested in this topic. I joined up to the forum just to get in on things. I'm a currently kitfox 7 flier and I'm working on what I'll be doing next and I think that one of these engines is going to find its way onto the nose of whatever that is. With that in mind, has anyone done a 3D model of the engine for design purposes? I don't have one yet to do my own model off of.

Also, could someone approve my request to join over on the facebook group? Ian Bange is the name there, have been pending for a few days now and would like to get in on the conversation there as well as here.

1 person likes this

Posted

Very interested in this topic. I joined up to the forum just to get in on things. I'm a currently kitfox 7 flier and I'm working on what I'll be doing next and I think that one of these engines is going to find its way onto the nose of whatever that is. With that in mind, has anyone done a 3D model of the engine for design purposes? I don't have one yet to do my own model off of.

Also, could someone approve my request to join over on the facebook group? Ian Bange is the name there, have been pending for a few days now and would like to get in on the conversation there as well as here.

Yep, I just added you over on the Yamaha Aircraft Conversions group.   I am an admin over there... I go by "Anatoli".

Glad to have you there Ian!  Teal reccomended you and told me about your areas of expertise.

As far as a modeled engine I know of no one who has done that yet.   Morten Wiik has modeled up an engine mount, but it would be great if someone were to scan the entire engine someday.

Put up a post about that on Facebook and we'll see if we can get a taker!

Posted

Finally a gearbox that can handle a Yamaha...

Gearbox.thumb.jpg.8cdf21a110a087dd4cdee2

7 people like this

Posted

Larry,  Whose box is that?  What is price?  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I think it's going to need a bit of weight in the tail.....:lmao:JImChuk

Posted

Larry,  Whose box is that?  What is price?  EDMO

Yeah!!

Is that Teal in the background?

Guess he never did show the scale of his new project in the CAD renderings...

WOW!

:lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

That 'box goes along with you guys looking for more and more horsepower from your 2-strokes...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That 'box goes along with you guys looking for more and more horsepower from your 2-strokes...

I installed a pair of quad turbo 16V149s running 750KW emergency power generators at O'Connor Hospital in San Jose in about 1978 if memory serves.  Both units were on skids and designed with "point of connection" terminals for control and output on the units.  Others piped fuel and coolant to the skids.  Transfer switches were located remotely in the basement of the hospital.  As I recall, it took about a year, start to finish to set them and hook everything up. It was a good job. They made lots of noise when fired up. 

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted (edited)

Maybe we should start thinking about mid-engines, Like Ferrari, Catalina?  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Maybe we should start thinking about mid-engines, Like Ferrari, Catalina?  EDMO 

P39...

image.thumb.jpeg.fd279d9ce81dc10b38ee4d1

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

yeah, cause it worked out so good for the cobra... they are splattered all over this state..

Posted

Wine me, Dine me, 

Flat-spin P-39, me...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wine me, Dine me, 

Flat-spin P-39, me...

Somebody screwed up on figuring CG!  Should have had heavier nose, or other changes.  Bet Dean Wilson could have made a flyer out of it.  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The big issue was snapping off the prop shafts up here.  Something to do with cold and bearing failures if I recall right.

Posted (edited)

I've always wondered about the delivery motives on those aircraft.  If I ran the effort to equip Stalin with some airplanes it would make sense to me first to send all my very best pilots into combat in Europe and the Pacific.  Then, wanting to save as much money and time as possible I would build a string of airports at distances apart from each other that closely aligned with the range of the aircraft being ferried to Russia, then I would take those pilots that weren't especially fit for combat and put them in the cockpits of airplanes that I didn't particularly want and send them to their dooms over the top.  I imagine that that scenario is probably a factor; not the factor. 

A careful read of any one of dozens of histories of command decisions during WWII will suggest a peculiar cold efficiency to their methods.  Also, all of those airplanes were widow makers.  The only ones the pilots (several of whom I knew personally) really liked were the P-51 and the F-6.  Corsairs, P-40s and many others were horrible beasts. The P-38 early was a death trap until they figured out counter rotating props to eliminate the critical engine.

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted (edited)

I've always wondered about the delivery motives on those aircraft.  If I ran the effort to equip Stalin with some airplanes it would make sense to me first to send all my very best pilots into combat in Europe and the Pacific.  Then, wanting to save as much money and time as possible I would build a string of airports at distances apart from each other that closely aligned with the range of the aircraft being ferried to Russia, then I would take those pilots that weren't especially fit for combat and put them in the cockpits of airplanes that I didn't particularly want and send them to their dooms over the top.  I imagine that that scenario is probably a factor; not the factor. 

A careful read of any one of dozens of histories of command decisions during WWII will suggest a peculiar cold efficiency to their methods.  Also, all of those airplanes were widow makers.  The only ones the pilots (several of whom I knew personally) really liked were the P-51 and the F-6.  Corsairs, P-40s and many others were horrible beasts. The P-38 early was a death trap until they figured out counter rotating props to eliminate the critical engine.

I was in the Army with a WW2 P38 pilot - He said that there was so little heat in the cockpit that he would wrap a sheepskin flying jacket around his feet and they still froze.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I was in the Army with a WW2 P38 pilot - He said that there was so little heat in the cockpit that he would wrap a sheepskin flying jacket around his feet and they still froze.  EDMO

the poor Russian pilots must have had a hard time on long flights Ed

Hey is the avid fox p39 forum:)

Edited by Dusty

Posted (edited)

the poor Russian pilots must have had a hard time on long flights Ed

Hey is the avid fox p39 forum:)

Rusty,  You should know by now that we commonly jump off subject to get some flying history or airplane facts printed - Sometimes when you see others' mistakes it keeps you from repeating them.   I really enjoyed the Ercoupe with JATO video that someone threw into another thread.   I'm sure the SnoGo engine thread will continue soon.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I watch alot of those old war stories on tv and see how rough it was  Really makes me respect what you men did for us. You had to be one tough SOB to fight back then.

2 people like this