Yamaha RX1 Engines

551 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been talking to Teal for the last few years about the Yamaha on my Tanarg. I now have the Yamaha RX one on my tanarg  and it is a game changer for me!  

We have become friends during the course of this engine install and Teal has  bent over backwards to make sure everything is working right and anytime I have a question he’s there to help me out.   I have nothing but good to say about my buddy Teal and he has come through for me in every way during this process.  He is a man of good character and I’m glad to call him a friend.  These rx-1 engines are great on a trike!!  

4 people like this

Posted

GOOD NEWS!  I finally found the part number for the Rotax C gearbox bearings:  25mm, 6306.  Using this info I updated and found that 90% of the bearings will last to 1000 hrs TBO.  Whew, that's a huge relief.  

YG4_2003_RX1_PSRU_Bearing_Wear_Table.thu

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Greg.

I gotta give you credit for posting up and correcting errors in your earlier data.

And those estimates above at least do agree better with what we are seeing in the field, which makes them more credible.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

The integrated purpose built Apex Gearbox is coming Along. I should be machine my first housing in about a month. 

gearbox4.jpg

Do you have a price point on the purpose built apex gear with built in adapter? How about a wiring solution? Looks like my motor sold so next week I will either pick up a rx1 or a apex, do you need a  guinea pig?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey jared.  I know I talked to teal about this a week or so ago.

I think he was hoping to have it as a working prototype in 2018.  And I know he said that he will not send any out until it has undergone rigorous testing.

If you decide to go rx-1, teal said he had some adapters on the shelf, and there is a c box on ebay af that just popped up.

But maybe you already had the c box?

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Already have the box. Need to take it off the motor. Hopefully going off island this coming Monday or tue.

Posted

I know of a complete RX-1 set up for sale in Arizona

Posted

I have found a few really nice running sleds for $2000

Posted

First start up.  It fired right up.... after I opened the fuel valve.

20170706_215731.mp4

Did you make the airbox? Did you get a fwf weight? What thickness did you use one the engine mount? I am just getting started. Looks good.

Posted (edited)

Copro's airbox (and most everything fwf) is fabricated by Steve Henry of Wild West Aircraft.  He sells the airbox and expansion tank for yamaha.  Also engine mount and headers specifically to fit highlander / superstol.

For me I used .75x.058 tube (some .049)for my mount (approx 16ft, no lengths greater that 2ft).  The side rails are 1.5"

As far as the airbox, I plan to try the Yam snowmo box.  If I have tuning trouble I'll scrap that plan and buy Steves.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Copro's airbox (and entire fwf) is Steve Henry's.

For me I used .75x.058 tube for my mount (approx 16ft, no lengths greater that 2ft).  The side rails are 1.5"

Copros  air box ? did Steve make that or is that a store? Looks nice and lite.

Posted

Here is the solid works rendering of the completed integral APEX gearbox. I have to do a bunch of testing before I offer any for sale. I'm not taking any deposits until I prove it works well and get some flight testing in. I'm going to be doing initial testing without a clutch to see how it starts and stops. The initial ratio is 3.11:1. 

ISO 2.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Im sorry I didnt answer a previous question as far as price, I'm tring to keep this option the same or close to the same as the RX-1 adapter and gearbox price which is around $3000 depending on how much the C-gearbox costs. Here is a front view at the mounted angle to engine.

Front 2.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

It’s beautiful. Good luck with the your testing Teal. 

Posted

Awesome Teal! Very nice. Can't wait to hear about the flight testing. Please post pics once you get it installed.

Thanks!

Clark

Posted (edited)

What does it accept for prop length?  And bolt pattern?

Edited by TJay

Posted

Prop length is up to 82" and prop bolt circles are. 75mm, 100mm and SAE 1 or 4 3/8"

Posted

Looks nice Teal.  What direction of prop rotation for the tractor config?  Looks like you might have an intermediate gear with the reduction height 

Posted (edited)

The prop. Turns the same direction as the 912. Or the opposite direction as my RX1 set up. Yes there is an extra gear to get the prop centerline closer to the head to make it easier to cowl

Edited by Teal
Typo

Posted

Can you mount the stock oil tank 6in lower than the stock elevation?Would the dipstick read correct?

Posted

Please see Face book yamaha aircraft conversions for this topic and many others

Posted

Very interested in this topic. I joined up to the forum just to get in on things. I'm a currently kitfox 7 flier and I'm working on what I'll be doing next and I think that one of these engines is going to find its way onto the nose of whatever that is. With that in mind, has anyone done a 3D model of the engine for design purposes? I don't have one yet to do my own model off of.

Also, could someone approve my request to join over on the facebook group? Ian Bange is the name there, have been pending for a few days now and would like to get in on the conversation there as well as here.

1 person likes this

Posted

Very interested in this topic. I joined up to the forum just to get in on things. I'm a currently kitfox 7 flier and I'm working on what I'll be doing next and I think that one of these engines is going to find its way onto the nose of whatever that is. With that in mind, has anyone done a 3D model of the engine for design purposes? I don't have one yet to do my own model off of.

Also, could someone approve my request to join over on the facebook group? Ian Bange is the name there, have been pending for a few days now and would like to get in on the conversation there as well as here.

Yep, I just added you over on the Yamaha Aircraft Conversions group.   I am an admin over there... I go by "Anatoli".

Glad to have you there Ian!  Teal reccomended you and told me about your areas of expertise.

As far as a modeled engine I know of no one who has done that yet.   Morten Wiik has modeled up an engine mount, but it would be great if someone were to scan the entire engine someday.

Put up a post about that on Facebook and we'll see if we can get a taker!

Posted

Finally a gearbox that can handle a Yamaha...

Gearbox.thumb.jpg.8cdf21a110a087dd4cdee2

5 people like this