Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Drain holes

10 posts in this topic

Posted

What's your suggestion on drain holes on the horizontal stabilizer, elevator and the rudder?

Posted (edited)

Yes to all.

I put them between the ribs on the h-stab and elevator just like on the wings, and one on the bottom of the rudder.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks

Posted

Just curious how water would get into a fully sealed rudder, HS, elevator, etc? I could see if it there were holes on top but I must be missing something here. 

Posted

I have no definitive answer...Perhaps condensation?

Posted

Just curious how water would get into a fully sealed rudder, HS, elevator, etc? I could see if it there were holes on top but I must be missing something here. 

If you have an electric trim system you will have areas for moisture to enter, that's my best guess

1 person likes this

Posted

Fabric, even fully coated fabric, is porous.  Air will get in bearing moisture and that moisture needs to get back out.  

Factor in changing temperatures and you will have even more condensation inside these components.

1 person likes this

Posted

Larry, good answer! I knew there was something I didn't think of. I guess where I grew up with an average humidity in the 10% range it wouldn't be so needed however I can see the good logic of having a hole here and there on ones that live in different parts of the world. 

After thinking about it though, if water vapor can get in with air movement couldn't it get out just as easily. Of course factoring in that the top is coated well and doesn't get rain, etc inside first. 

Posted

It's true, Kenneth, the moisture would eventually get back out.

BUT--  While it's in there it can condense and pool in the corners and begin the corrosion process, especially in the more humid regions of the country.  Putting drain holes in the fabric gives the drying process a jump start.

3 people like this

Posted

Drain holes installed.  Thanks again. 

1 person likes this