2-Stroke flying

9 posts in this topic

Posted

We can argue for days about engines. Maybe I've been "lucky" maybe I know how these engines works. And just maybe my testicle size outdoes my brain matter sometimes but no matter what I've achieved the most full filling flying of my life in my two stroke powered Avid. This is often in the midst of Cessna 180's, Maules, Carbon Cubs, Husky's, etc.

Avid1.jpg

Avid2.jpg

Avid3.jpg

Avid4.jpg

Avid5.jpg

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

Beautiful photos Joey - for us flatlanders, it's amazing that you find spots to land with all the uneven ground and big rocks - enjoy!  

Flying is Flying - Whether you do it with 2 wings or 4, or an antique engine that has been flying for 70 years, or a new snowgo engine!

I could add:  Landing a Tanker on Wake Island and aerial refueling some F-18s, but most of us can only enjoy that thru your photos!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

We can argue for days about engines. Maybe I've been "lucky" Maybe I know how these engines work. And just maybe my testicle size outdoes my brain matter sometimes but no matter what I've achieved the most full filling flying of my life in my two stroke powered Avid. This is often in the midst of Cessna 180's, Maules, Carbon Cubs, Husky's, etc.    

I think that it's all about the operation.  Many of us, and by that I mean me included, simply don't know how to get the performance and utility out of the two strokes that you do.   

Posted

C5 are you flying solo most of the time? Obviously you fly in some high DA areas and the 582 appears to get you anywhere you want to go. I am looking at avid /kitfox and fly closer to 800 msl airport altitudes but in the hot Texas air. Was hoping to get something that can handle a 1000' strip with the wife. Fully loaded would mean about 360+ of pilot and passenger plus whatever fuel it could handle. 582 up for that? Obviously more power would be better, but just weighing my options and whether it is mandatory I go with a bigger engine.

Posted

And Joey when you answer the question above I would sure like a report on that landing gear now that you have some hours on it. Is it all that you were hopping for? Can you just plop her in like the surer stol?

Posted

I've seen Joey doing his high DA tricks with the passenger seat plug full of huge backpack too.  Camping gear you know?  Tents and beer and stuff. 

Posted

C5 are you flying solo most of the time? Obviously you fly in some high DA areas and the 582 appears to get you anywhere you want to go. I am looking at avid /kitfox and fly closer to 800 msl airport altitudes but in the hot Texas air. Was hoping to get something that can handle a 1000' strip with the wife. Fully loaded would mean about 360+ of pilot and passenger plus whatever fuel it could handle. 582 up for that? Obviously more power would be better, but just weighing my options and whether it is mandatory I go with a bigger engine.

I've gone to 10,500 msl with 100lbs of gear and 28 gallons of fuel on board and flew across mountains. I was running my poor ol 585 WFO but it did it. There's a lot of variables to answer this question. KEEP IT LIGHT and find one with a STOL wing and it'll blow you mind how well they perform.

And Joey when you answer the question above I would sure like a report on that landing gear now that you have some hours on it. Is it all that you were hopping for? Can you just plop her in like the surer stol?

TJAY expect a full report soon. We are going to do some more valving and tweaking on the pressures. No you can't plop it in like a SuperSTOL but it is a sure lot harder to bounce now. The Desser Tires are in a totally different league than the Nanco ATV tires. There's just no way to even compare them.

1 person likes this

Posted

IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Impressive flying spot!