Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rudder Pedal Bushings

6 posts in this topic

Posted

OK Guys I mounted the floor in the kitfox this weekend and wanted to trial fit my rudder pedals before more welding, when sliding the aluminum angle bracket with the plastic bushing into the end of the rudder pedal tubes they are really tight, So I'm wondering do the actual tubes rotate on the plastic bushing, or does the plastic bushing rotate on the Bolt that goes through the aluminum angle bracket, Kinda hard to explain but guessing you guys know what I am talking about.

Posted (edited)

better to not rotate the bolt, the nylon bushing is here to slide in tube

Edited by efil 01

Posted (edited)

I have seen them both ways - The Kitfox instructions say that the bolt should hold the nylon bushing tight, and the tube is supposed to pivot on the bushing.   I doubt if the bushing rotating on the bolt will wear it out for several years, but you are not supposed to use a nylock nut on a rotating part.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I used a little drum sander on a dremel to work the inside of the rudder pedal tubes to get them to rotate nice and easy and smooth.

Posted (edited)

I used a little drum sander on a dremel to work the inside of the rudder pedal tubes to get them to rotate nice and easy and smooth.

Another option instead of thinning the torque tubes is to tightly bolt the nylon inserts with a long bolt and put it into a drill or drill press, if you don't have a lathe, and file the insert until it is a slip fit inside the torque tube.   WD40 helps too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I am with Ed on this one!

:BC: