Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What you running for fuel caps?....mine leak

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I did my first flight testing with near full tanks yesterday and my left tank cap was leaking like a siv. I had oil all down wing and onto my horizontal. I'm using a plastic type cap with a red ring around it. It was drilled out for the vent tubes. I put my vent tubes in with JB weld and they do not appear to be the source. What you guys running for caps that don't leak? I paid way too much money for that fabric job to have fuel dripping off it.

Posted

I did my first flight testing with near full tanks yesterday and my left tank cap was leaking like a siv. I had oil all down wing and onto my horizontal. I'm using a plastic type cap with a red ring around it. It was drilled out for the vent tubes. I put my vent tubes in with JB weld and they do not appear to be the source. What you guys running for caps that don't leak? I paid way too much money for that fabric job to have fuel dripping off it.

I did the same thing.. the JB weld did not last very long at all.

Mine leak when I fill them to the top. The caps did not have the big vent tubes in them when I got the plane. I asked the previous owner and he said he never had any issues with fuel starvation.... I didnt trust it so I put the vents in the caps.

I think that when you punch the guts out of the cap to put the vent tube in, you loose the valve that keeps it from seeping around the little ribs inside the cap. I am going to fill mine full of glue and see if that will stop the leak. I wish I had pics of it so I could point it out, but I am at work and cant get any for you right now..

:beerchug:

Posted

I did the same thing.. the JB weld did not last very long at all.

Mine leak when I fill them to the top. The caps did not have the big vent tubes in them when I got the plane. I asked the previous owner and he said he never had any issues with fuel starvation.... I didnt trust it so I put the vents in the caps.

I think that when you punch the guts out of the cap to put the vent tube in, you loose the valve that keeps it from seeping around the little ribs inside the cap. I am going to fill mine full of glue and see if that will stop the leak. I wish I had pics of it so I could point it out, but I am at work and cant get any for you right now..

:beerchug:

Putting the vent tubes was an advisory that came out from the factory. It's posted in the files section over at the list. I see in my original logs that the builder had issues with the caps leaking also.