Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ducati Ignition needed

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I am looking for a good used pair of ducati ignition modules. Do you have a pair and how much would you sell them to me for? My only ask is that they be in good working condition with wires that have not been spliced. 

The previous owner which I am finding now that the wires were cut very short and crimped, now is a mess. Annual coming up and also for my own safety I want a good set of Ducati ignition.

Posted

you just need the coils that have the plug wires in them?

Posted

for the 670?

Posted (edited)

The Ducati ignition "coil" modules..... The two that mount on the side of the engine that the plug wires connect to. 

Does anyone have a pair from a grey head 582? As long as they work and have the original connectors. Let's make a deal.

I would buy new ones but they are $365 ea. from Aircraft Spruce. Just got done replacing my wing tank and putting a new MGL V6 transciever in. So I've bled plenty of dough recently. Not too ready to drop another $700+ 

Here's more detail.

The real rub is that the plastic ears are not thick enough or are made of more brittle plastic because both modules cracked and/or broke. That's what started me down this road this afternoon in the hanger. Plastic I can repair but I see now that someone before me thought it would be cute and cut the wires and heat shrinked over them. Also to boot they are not Ducati modules but Nippondenso that have the plug wires permanently attached. They do not screw out like the Ducati's, found that out the hard way.... So I want to replace them.

I should mention that Rotax Rick used the carbs and ignition modules from my old 582GH to build my 670 to help keep the cost down. He also took the old 582GH as partial payment towards the 670. Good deal for me at the time. This is not RR's fault. and when I got the engine from him the plastic was totally intact. I also doubt that he saw the splice job because it was well hidden.

Word of warning though for others with BLUE ignition modules that are not Ducati. Don't try to replace the plug wires, it'll end up in a bad day.

This plane will be all but brand new with an old paint job by the time I'm done. 

IMG_20160315_172543.jpg

IMG_20160315_173208.jpg

IMG_20160315_164346.jpg

Edited by rdooley79

Posted (edited)

Are these the same as the 532?  If so, I have a pair - cheap.   If not the same, then maybe I have ONE?  I don't know crap about these engines!   Anyone want a boat anchor - cheap?    EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I think they are the same. Take a couple pics when you can. Make sure to get a pic of the numbers stamped in the side.  

Cheap is good especially if you aren't sure if these are what I need or are 100% sure they are good.  Give me a number I can't turn down. :-D

Good thing about these modules is, they work or they don't. no in-between and when they work, they seem to always work. I have not ever heard of them "going bad", burning out like a light bulb. 

Edited by rdooley79

Posted

I think they are the same. Take a couple pics when you can. Make sure to get a pic of the numbers stamped in the side.  

Cheap is good especially if you aren't sure if these are what I need or are 100% sure they are good.  Give me a number I can't turn down. :-D

Good thing about these modules is, they work or they don't. no in-between and when they work, they seem to always work. I have not ever heard of them "going bad", burning out like a light bulb. 

I will try to get some photos tomorrow.  How about if they look OK to you, I will send them to the address you PM to me.  If they work, or you can use them until you get something better, send me a check for what you think they are worth plus my $10 for postage.  If they don't work, then you owe me nothing. 

They will be with no liability or warrantee implied, so don't sue me if they quit on you.  This engine has quit about 5 times with 3 owners in 80 hours, and I don't have a clue why.  I think I still have a starter and stator on it which might be good?    EDMO

Posted

I think the 532s were mostly points ignition, maybe the latest ones had CDI.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I think the 532s were mostly points ignition, maybe the latest ones had CDI.  Jim Chuk

Thanks Jim - I think this is about a 87 engine, but could be late as 97? - guess I will figure it out tomorrow.    Been hauling it around for years!   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks Jim - I think this is about a 87 engine, but could be late as 97? - guess I will figure it out tomorrow.    Been hauling it around for years!   EdMO

Have you talked to Rotax Rick or any of the other builders around the country? 532s were points unless converted and the conversions were not Ducati.

Posted

Found the problem last night and promptly called and emailed Rotax Rick as well as Joe Graheck and Steve Beatty. CPS has used ones for $200ea. So that's "better?" I'm inclined to wait to talk to Rick. Also after sleeping on it, I'm considering buying one new one for $365 and then getting another one used. We do have dual ignition for a reason. Eh, it's only money LOL a nice chunk of money.

The real pisser is that the Nippon Denso units have hard attached plug wires, besides that they performed perfectly. 

Its my my butt up there and worrying about ignition isn't what I want on takeoff. 

Posted (edited)

Amen to that, rdooley79.  I know your pain.  I just ordered two ( Ouch! ) modules for my 912 to repair the ignition gremlin.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Well, I guess Jim Chuk and Joey are right - It looks like the 532 I have is points ignition.   Sorry I couldn't help.  EDMO

Posted

Rotax Rick was doing Nippon ignition conversions,is this engine one?

I believe the Nippon ignition I had fitted to my points ignition 503 had a built in advance/ retard curve.

If your modules have this feature ,perhaps sticking with Nippon would be a good idea.

Also i personally would favour a Japanese ignition over an Italian (only the French are worse at electrics than Italy)

Posted (edited)

The ignition modules were from an 582Grey Head that I sent to him and he took all the good usable parts off to build my 670 and then kept the rest as partial payment towards the 670, mostly the labor cost really.

I really want Ducati as it's the OEM part and has kept me and all my buddies in the air for more than a decade, no failures of the Ducati CDI's ever. The Nippondenso is new to us and mine cracked badly which is what started me down this adventure. So screw the Nippondenso! Plus the plug wires are not removable from the Nippondenso units and are on the Ducati. The ignition system in these Rotax 2 cycles are not known for failure so I want to go with what I know works. My butt and plane are not worth saving $500 going with an off brand. The 670 from all appearances was going to be the next aircraft engine, It was made with dual ignition provisions in the case casting. Rick has a real winner and many flying with the 670 and with dual ignition they really are the next "unofficial" aircraft engine from Rotax. I'm a die hard Rotax fan, they just work.

I ordered a pair of good used Ducati OEM CDI modules from CPS today, even talked to their used parts guy directly and he's going to pick a nice pair for me. was $207ea. So $414 rather than $730. So that makes it hurt less and I'm comfortable with the source as well. I know I paid more than if I went scrounging but honestly I'm way more comfortable with this solution.  

Edited by rdooley79
2 people like this

Posted

The aftermarket coils for $150 is a deal.  You have dual ignition so even if one fails you do not have  a engine out.

Just DO NOT  cut the spark plug wires off & try to replace them. There bonded in with no holding screw in the center to replace the wires.  I recommend CRC Die Electric grease & coat them with that at each annual inspection. The wires will last for many years doing this.  If you want a used OEM Ducati coil look up on 

Ebay  SkiDoo 550 Ducati ignition.  This sled uses the same coil, trigger & flywheel as the dual ignition engines. 

Posted

Speakin of ign.  Is it worth it or is it a doable thing to convert a 532 with points to dual ign and electronic ign?  Id feel better with dual ign being a first time flyer, also would love to upgrade into a 583or670 but dont think my budget will let that happen anytime soon.  I have chatted with rick about a 583 crate motor but at moment is beyond my spending limit  

Posted

You only have a single plug head.  I think I have a spare dual plug head but it will need to be resurfaced.

If you can find a new stator for a 582 I will make you a hell of a deal for a spare engine that I have.  Hone the jugs, new pistons and rings and you will be good to go.

:BC: