Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First flight of my new-to-me Kitfox

5 posts in this topic

Posted

First flight of my plane today after obtaining it back in October.  I went through every nut and bolt, rebuilt the carbs, and made numerous other little changes and adjustments.

The test pilot was my CFI and family friend who had never flown a Kitfox before.  After ground checks he finally firewalled the throttle and performed an hour of flight testing on it.  He came back down to a perfect 3-point landing with a smile on his face.  Everything was in the green and no surprises.  It needs a little more pitch to the prop but that's it.  I was a nervous wreck watching him on the takeoff roll while simultaneously picturing every nut and bolt I touched in my head.

20160316_124905_zpsjtotphqe.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

IMHO...

Take the cam plate out of the tailwheel.

Have him do  at least 20 full stop landings before he is ready to "instruct" anyone.

Other than that, it's a great looking airplane.

Posted

Great looking bird!  gotta be a good feeling to see it in the air!

:BC:

Posted

Its got an API tailwheel.  The maule is long gone.  He's flown avids and a couple kitfox knockoffs but this is his first time in a IV.  He said the same thing.  He wants to get good and comfortable in it before any instructing because he doesn't want to instruct to do things the wrong way.  He is the right guy for the job and the most conservative CFI I've ever met.  I've got a long history with him. 

1 person likes this

Posted

chuck-norris-thumbs-up.0.jpg