Newbie (Kitfox IV)

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, 

wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a completed Kitfox 1200 which I will be bringing back up to snuff.it has minor maintence that needs to be done.  Plan to have it in the air in the next 6-12 months.

All the best,

D

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome aboard D.  We love pictures :-)  Where abouts are you located?  Feel free to ask any questions you come up with.  Lots of people on this site that have been there and done that already.  (and lived to tell about it ;-)   Jim Chuk

Posted

Welcome aboard!  Like Jim said we love pictures here and you can upload an unlimited amount so don't be shy to post up pics or ask any questions!

:BC:

Posted

Welcome.  Good to see another KF IV.

Posted

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. Will post pics soon. 

D

Posted

Oops, for got to mention that I'm located in NJ. So if you guys know of anyone in the nj Tristate area who deals with kitfox's/ HKS engines and powerfin props. Please let me know as I need to work out a vibration issue.

thanks,

d

Posted

Hi , If your vibration is at idle rpm this is normal. I am running HKS on my avid and keep idle rpm around 1100 rpm.Contact the people at Green sky adventures for all the help you will need. Dont hav the contact info near me at the moment.(just google it,good people)

Posted

Hi Steve, thanks for the help. If its usual, is there anyway to fix it? I don't want the instruments to knock loose because of taxiing. I need to do some tests on my own as I have yet to see the plane turn overs. 

I spoke with green sky and they were very helpful but I didn't mention the vibration. I was discussing what to do wit the engine since it was sitting in a hanger for 4 years idle.

seems as if these HKS engines are low maintence. I was told was to change the oil, clean the carbs and then hand crack to get some oil flowing, run for an hour and if the compressions are good, go flying. 

Posted

Another resource for you would be to communicate with a member on the Teamkitfox.com site.  His name is "Mnflyer".  He has a Model III with an HKS and loves it.  There is also a Yahoo HKS user group that may be of assistance.  Might be a touch low on power for the Model IV but hopefully sufficient.  Take a real good look at your engine mount and frame.  We had a local conversion up this way (582 to an HKS) and the engine mount failed early on (might have been a production bad weld, but worth a look). 

Posted

Thanks lsaupe!  I'm on team Kitfox so I will reach out.

d

Posted

What part of NJ are you in? I just moved here in October as well. Not an expert to say the least but if I'm close by and you need anything I'm almost always available. 

Kenneth

Posted

Hi ken, I'm located in union county. You? 

Posted

I'm in Burlington county. I'm new enough that I'll have to look up where Union Co. is.