Storing Kitfox does and don't?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, I just picked up a Kitfox which was sitting idle in a hanger for 4 years. Wing tanks empty.

i am planning on storing the plane (wings folded) in a carport during the winter months and when I'm doing maintence on it. 

Can anyone provide feedback on the best way to store the plane in this fashion?

also: should the wing tanks have fuel in them while storing? I was always taught to keep the tanks full in a piper and Cessna.

Posted

I would be of the opinion of draining the wing tanks dry for long term storage. 

What engine does the aircraft have in it?

Posted

Support the rear of the fuselage so the weight is off the tail wheel spring.  My tail weighs 40 pounds with wings spread but 175 pounds with wings folded.  Will the sun shine on the plane?  I would be sure it was in the shade all the time.  Also mouse/critter proof it somehow?

Posted

Good to know about the tail wheel. Thanks guys. I'm planning on buying a carport with sides so it won't be in direct sun. I will also be purchasing a Bruce canopy and engine cover to keep the critters out.

im glad I can keep the tanks dry. Thanks for the info.

D

Posted

I have a HKS 700E engine.

Posted

Was the engine pickled?

Kinda late, but better than never - drain all fuel from fuel lines, gascolator, carbs. Spray some fogging oil into the cylinders at a minimum. If there was an oil change done when it was put away, fine. If not, consider at least changing it even if the engine is cold.

Posted

Thanks Geoffrey, I am not sure if that was done when put into storage. I'm going to assume not. 

Posted

He has a 4-stroke HKS 700E engine.

Posted

To all, Bruce makes covers that can be used for wings folded storage. Ordered in last week and will post pics once installed .