Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Copalis Beach

4 posts in this topic

Posted

There is some local chatter about an informal Fly-In at Copalis Beach  (Washington State S16) on 30 April 2016.  The beach at Copalis is designated as a state runway just north of Ocean Shores, Washington.  The low tide is predicted to be around 2PM at less than 1ft mean low.  That gives a pretty good window for landing on the beach between 12:30 and 3:30 PM.

I know a few Zenith CH-701 guys that may be planning to go.  It would be fun to have several KF and Avid guys there as well.

I will see if I can scare up any more information and update here if I find out more.

MarkD

1 person likes this

Posted

UPDATE! 

I flew to Copalis Beach with some friends in their CH-701s on the 30th of April.  Unfortunately the heavy moisture in the air made the video useless but...got some still pictures.  I have attached a few. 

One of the 701 guys also took some pictures and made a short video. 

Link attached:   https://youtu.be/QY1Y9uj9njs

There were more than 50 planes on the beach....Cessnas, Cherokees, Vans RVs, Cubs, Champs and some interesting bush capable planes like a Bush Hawk!

It took me 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back ( I had to slow down to 80mph so the 701s could keep up. ), did the "Round the Olympic Mountains" thing.  I burned around 18 gallons of fuel.  Was a good day.

MarkD

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Looks like a nice diverse group and a great day to fly!  The Bush Hawks are not as bush friendly as one would think.  I know a few operators who sold them and went back to Beavers.  They are a poor substitute for a 206 at best.  But if someone gave me one I wouldn't say no!  Lol

:BC:

Posted

What a variety, very cool.