Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Becker 4201 Radio issues

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Is anyone using a Becker 4201 VHF radio?

I installed one and it has two issues that might be the same problem?

1) The radio turns on when the avionics buss is powered, not with the round switch, bottom left of face

2) There is continuous static when the avionics buss is powered.  It is like the squelch is always off.  I have found the squelch threshold menu and I have set the squelch at all levels, but without effect.

I'm thinking I might have a wire wrong or might have a solder cup that flowed together with one beside it, but I thought I would ask before I tore my panel apart...

I bought it on eBay, but it was brand new in the box with everything still wrapped up.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Ron

Are you able to turn the radio off with the switch?  The static level is sufficient to overcome the squelch circuit of the radio?  Is the static present with the engine running or not running?     Lou

Posted

Lou,

It looks like the radio powers up with the switch off.  However, I have never used one of these before and the documentation is almost useless!

The static also begins as soon as power hits the avionics buss (Power/Volume knob in off position).

The squelch is not controlled with a knob like most radios, it is a threshold set in a digital menu from 1-99 and I have tried all of the settings.  None of the squelch settings cancel the static.

These results are all with the engine off.

I'm going to chase the power issue first and strongly suspect that fixing it will fix the static issue too...

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

This is for the next guy trouble shooting a Becker...

The power staying on all of the time was caused by a wire coming loose from a solder cup in the plug.

The constant static was simply a lack of reception in my garage.  I made an antenna and ground plane with 15' of antenna cable.  It allowed me to get outside of the garage and the first voice received set the squelch and killed the static.

Posted

If your garage has florescent lights, that was your problem.  I can't have the lights on in the hangar if the radio is powered on.  Florescent lights put out a LOT of EMI!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Mark,

Now I gotta try that...

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Thanks for the update. I 2nd the florescent lights! VERY nasty...     Lou