Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid MK IV build manual

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Drum roll please........ the much awaited MK IV manual.  Thanks to Nick L for sending me the manual to scan in.

Files are broken down into sections so they are not a giant down load for those that dont have high speed internet.

:BC:

Hackman Kit.pdf

Section I.pdf

Section II.pdf

Section III.pdf

Section IV.pdf

Section IX.pdf

Section V.pdf

Section VI.pdf

Section VII.pdf

Section VIII.pdf

Section X.pdf

Section XI.pdf

Section XII.pdf

Section XIII.pdf

8 people like this

Posted

Thank you!! It's great to have this manual on line!

1 person likes this

Posted

For the record, the build manual is for my Avid Flyer MKIV serial number 1174D, and is of about a 1994 vintage.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have instructions for applying the fiberglass leading edge cover?  Avid Mk IV Manual only  shows aluminum which is one piece, unless I missed some revision - the fiberglass is supplied in 4 foot sections.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed - perhaps you can find some help from these photos of the Kitfox 7's optional 'Laker Leading Edge'. I would also note that this install chose not to use Hysol.

Here is where it gets interesting. This is likely the first installation of a LLE using 3M's 850 adhesive instead of the usual HySol epoxy bond. This is the same product I believe that Kitfox uses on the flaperons now to bond the trailing edges with good success and is used extensively in the auto industry and hundreds of other manufacturing processes for strong secure bonds. It stays slightly flexible when cured unlike HySol but retains a very strong bond. In the first photo you see Bill showing us the proper application and locations on the wing for best strength on the first of four sections of LLE. I applied the other 3 sections duplicating what was demonstrated on the first section. It went very quickly compared to using HySol. Likely less weight also for a superior bond.

LLE1.jpg

LLE2.jpg

LLE3.jpg

LLE4.jpg

LLE5.jpg

LLE6.jpg

LLE7.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Doug,  This is very informative - didn't know they wrapped the front spar with it.  And I just bought another 2 cans of 9460!  But I still need some for the intercostels on the tail.  I may still use 9460, but will check out the other glue mentioned.  My flaps wont be bending like a 13 foot wing, since they are only 6 feet long and 15" chord. 

Scalloped edges front and rear were another surprise to me, although mine wont need that.  I was thinking about some riveting to front and trailing edge for my flaps too - guess overkill never hurts - just more time and money spent.  Of course the Kitfox FG on wings will be overlaid with fabric where mine will just be painted.   I could overlay mine with fabric if someone can give me a good reason.  ???  Good Post.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I was going to bring my manual home today but forgot in the rush to get home and finish my hurricane prep. If you still need the avid one I'll be going out to inspect my hanger after the hurricane and will grab it then .

Thanks Doug,  This is very informative - didn't know they wrapped the front spar with it.  And I just bought another 2 cans of 9460!  But I still need some for the intercostels on the tail.  I may still use 9460, but will check out the other glue mentioned.  My flaps wont be bending like a 13 foot wing, since they are only 6 feet long and 15" chord. 

Scalloped edges front and rear were another surprise to me, although mine wont need that.  I was thinking about some riveting to front and trailing edge for my flaps too - guess overkill never hurts - just more time and money spent.  Of course the Kitfox FG on wings will be overlaid with fabric where mine will just be painted.   I could overlay mine with fabric if someone can give me a good reason.  ???  Good Post.   EDMO

Posted (edited)

I was going to bring my manual home today but forgot in the rush to get home and finish my hurricane prep. If you still need the avid one I'll be going out to inspect my hanger after the hurricane and will grab it then .

Thanks, but I guess I can figure out how to stick some FG to wood and metal.  Like Jim said, the MkIV HH ribs are set on one foot centers, so there should be no spicing info in the manual. 

I have been looking for the 3M 850 adhesive in Doug's post on their site and cant find it - I never could find anything on 3M site - Maybe it is me - I looked for the green and also clear glue like Stewarts and Oratex used for about a month and finally gave up - Maybe I am getting too old?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed- I think the guy may be confused which 3M adhesive it was. Look up 3M 550 Fast Cure Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant

1 person likes this

Posted

Many thanks!!! Akflyer!!

Posted

For the record, the build manual is for my Avid Flyer MKIV serial number 1174D, and is of about a 1994 vintage.

Just was looking at this thread, and maybe I've noticed and or mentioned this before, but my Avid MK IV is only two away from yours Nick.  Mine is 1176D.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just to add to that.  I'm a few away too.  Mine is 1199D and was delivered June 1992.  That gives better idea of time frame/era of manual and serial numbers. I have all order and delivery papers confirming this.  Cheers Randy 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi Nick or Leni,  I do like the manual uploaded, but if there was any way to label each section to say what was covered in it, that would be great.  If I had my manual handy, I could see what section I'm looking for without having to download one after the other till I get to the section I need to look at.  Of course, then I'd just look in the manual...   :lmao:  Thanks,  JimChuk

PS,  I found that section XII is the index for the manual.  Download it first, and then you will know which section you want.

Edited by 1avidflyer