Power loss. Off field landing...

83 posts in this topic

Posted

Had partial power loss on takeoff this morning.  Had to make an off field landing.  Tore the gear out from under it but walked away with out a scratch.  Didn't want to attempt the "impossible turn".  Might have saved my life.  Post mortem looks like I had a sunken float in one of the carbs.  One of the new ones that was just replaced new by rotax after I found a sunken one with the first set they sent me.  Disappointed beyond belief.  I poured my heart and soul into this thing.  I don't know how to feel right now but I'm glad I walked away.

Posted (edited)

Sorry about your loss, but glad you walked away.  For once, I wont make any comments about the Rotax.   At least you know what caused it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks Ed.

Posted

Crap man that sucks but airplanes are repairable and you don't need repaired.  Bad day but a good outcome.  Guess I should keep an eye on my floats that I replaced under warranty. 

Posted

So sorry, Greg!

You and your family are safe and together tonight, however.  Planes can be fixed. 

Posted

It's repairable I'm sure.  It's just the typical tubing damage that you see from a hard landing.  But also prop, cowl, skin, and all the little stuff.  It folded the gear back and ended up on its belly.  I'm not going to have the time to fix it myself.  What a nice flying plane it was though and I was thoroughly happy with the handling characteristics

The plane was about 200 ft agl when the rpms dropped to 3000 and just wasn't making power.  There were all kinds of options taking off on the other runway but options were limited this way.  I think the right decision was made to put it down where we could instead of trying to force something.  I really think the design of the plane saved me from any injury.  It's in the hands of the insurance company now.

2 people like this

Posted

So sorry to hear about this. Glad you are ok though.

Posted (edited)

Greg,  Did your plane have the Grove gear?   Did you take any photos after the landing?   Photos are helpful in identifying where the weak spots are, although something usually has to deform.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Greg,  Did your plane have the Grove gear?   Did you take any photos after the landing?   EDMO

Yes it did.  The gear took most of the impact.  I took a couple pictures once it was back in the hangar but they were pretty dark.  I'll get some more tomorrow.

Posted

man that sucks.. Glad you at least had it insured and that you were not hurt!  I like big tires.. big tires have saved a lot of planes from being destroyed up here when the pilot cooling fan stopped turning.  in terrain that 8:00s or 8:50s would put you on your back, 30" just bounce you around a bit and most times you stay upright. 

Hope they get it settled quickly and you can find a replacement and be back in the air in short order Mr.

Posted

Glad your ok Bro!

Posted

So sorry! Sounds like you made the right decision and were able to walk away. Can't imagine the emotions you felt - incredible relief on a safe outcome - and aw crap, that sucks!!

Posted

Boy that really hurts to hear..Sure glad you are ok but still hurts to hear about it every time won of these heart and soul projects of someones gets banged up..

Posted

What a bummer!  I've been there myself, so know how you must feel.  At least you're ok, the plane can be fixed.  Still a bummer though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Sure it's a bummer, but more so it is a story with a happy end...

Power failure during initial climb is without doubt the worst moment as it is (or should be) the only situation where the pilot didn't have the choice to be somewhere else. Like a little more to the side of the direct route where there are nice places to land if the engine goes belly up ,or minimizing that traffic pattern so that you reach the strip and don't end up in someones back yard when the engine start coughing on base or long final...   

It takes a good pilot not to do the "impossible turn" and go for the hostile environment straight ahead landing and a good plane that can land slow enough to let the good pilot walk away without a scratch.

And Greg, you had both the right pilot and the right plane! 

We will follow you rebuild closely, keep us posted

Regards,

Fred

1 person likes this

Posted

When going over my engine I found that situation with the (on a 582) aft float on the aft carb. A year or 2 ago there was a lot of discussion about Rotax floats, even new ones. Glad you are walking!    Lou

Posted

This particular engine is a 912.  A little research shows a lot of problems with floats on these.  If at any time in the future I run into questionable carb issues I think I would send them out to get bench tested.  But even then you can have a carb bench tested and have a float slowly absorb fuel and sink.  I just think its a bad design.  My sons go-kart carb has a better float design than these.

Just as soon as the plane leveled out I think the fuel sloshed forward in the bowl and went out the overflow vent, into the air filter, and right back into the carb throat killing that carb.  I question if the bowl vents should have been going back into the air filter or just venting to the atmosphere.

Here is a picture of the damage.  The other side is about the same.  I've seen worse get repaired but my flying season is done.

20160414_101642_zpsourxzva4.jpg

Posted

OK, a day late and a dollar short - I went looking for the weight spec for the floats and found a service bulletin that I had not seen before on checking the float level... http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912-065ul.pdf

But, back on topic - any landing you walk away from...

Posted (edited)

Greg,  How bad was the prop strike, and will the engine need rebuilt?   Just asking in case the insurance company sells it.    Also, what was the N-number?   Someone might want to rebuild it.  Did you ever sell the super-nice seats that Doug made, or were they still in the plane?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would call the prop strike very minor.  It was just the tip of one blade.  I'd be confident in saying the gearbox and internals are just fine.

I never did use the seats Doug made.  While they were very well made and comfortable I had to use an original set because the cushions were thick and my head would hit the skylight.  I do still have them.

I'm going to let the dust settle with the insurance before I talk about a potential buyout or rebuild because I am entertaining it myself.  I think it is rebuildable and I am a good welder with experience with 4130.  The wings, tail, and firewall foreward are fine.

I'm just very happy I was flying this plane and not something else when this happened.  I think the design of it really saved my ass.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You just might come out $$$ ahead if you can buy it back from the insurance company.  My buddy came out about $20K to the good after buying his Luscomb back and repairing it.    Dan "Dmatlosz" was looking for new seat covers, but I don't know what color or how tall he is.   If I didn't have Cabelas seats, I would be trying to buy them.    EDMOI

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I hope Doug hasn't seen this because he'd kill me for doing this to his plane.

Posted (edited)

I hope Doug hasn't seen this because he'd kill me for doing this to his plane.

That was/is a beautiful plane - But Doug has had his bad days too, so I think he will understand, and grieve with you.  Just put the blame where it should be - with lousy Rotax parts!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Just now catching this thread.  Sorry to hear about this and good decision putting it down as you did.  Glad to hear you are o.k.

Posted

Hindsight and all...

The float vent tube should be only 4" long (by memory, it's in the maint manuals) and should be vented to atmosphere, not the air filters.  There are circumstances where fuel comes out of these vents and dumping into the air filter can be a fire hazard as well as causing an over rich situation. 

Ed, unlike a Lyco-Conti-saurus antique engine, a 912 crank can be fully inspected without disassembling or rebuilding the engine.  The procedure is in the heavy maintenance manual. The gearbox will need to be removed for dye-pen inspection.  But this engine will most likely be fine.