Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suppliers of new parts for older models?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been looking at picking up a project kitfox or avid for awhile now, and now that I just finished restoring my Cessna I am getting more serious about the idea of a new project. I have looked at a few in person already and each of them needed some work, not that big of a deal but what is the parts procurement situation for things like wing ribs, flaperons and spars on the older models like avid A, B's and C's or early kit foxes? 

Is there a place where these parts can be purchased new?

Posted (edited)

Kitfox still sells most parts.  The Avid parts are available, but sometimes hard to contact.  I have a shed full of used Kitfox fuselages needing welding and repairs, wings, flaperons, parts, and fixtures to make ribs.  Someone else on here may have used Avid parts.   We have some fiberglass suppliers on call. 

Where are you located.  The last time it was posted, some time ago, we had over 1100 on here, from everywhere.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

1-3 Kitfox parts are often hard to come by because Kitfox really does not support them any more.

Airdale (what's left of Avid) is mostly MIA.  Good luck there.

Used parts or new parts from the open market will be your most likely ticket for Avids and early Kitfoxes.  (My reasoning for going with a model IV Kitfox…)

Posted

I think Kitfox was planning last winter to make some more 1 - 3 model flaperons.   EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the info, I'm in northeast Wisconsin. From what I've read and understand, the avid A/B/C models biggest difference from the MK4 is the offset being taken out of the stab and the wood longerons replaced with steel, other than that dimensions are very similar? I'd like to find a MK4 but I only seem to find them all bent up and I'd rather have a straight fuse to start with. 

Posted

How close are you to Rhinelander?  That's were the Avid company is located.  Like was mentioned, he is hard to get a hold of.  If I lived close, I would drive over and see him in person.  I'm up in northern Mn, and actually was his first customer when he bought out the stuff from the previous owner.  There are a lot of used parts around as well.  I've got a bunch of Avid stuff myself.  Lots of the parts can be built if one has the skill and desire to get his hands dirty.  Keep your eyes open on Barnstormers and such.  There is an Avid MK IV in Colorado (maybe sold now) that needs an engine.  He wanted $7000 for it.    Here is a link to it. 

http://denver.craigslist.org/snw/5485347053.html    Take care,  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I'm in the Green Bay Area, I have spoken to the Airedale guy up in Rhinelander, that was about two years ago and I haven't had much luck since. I appreciate the replies.

Yeah that Mk4 would be right up my alley. I'll keep my eye on it, thanks!

Edited by Mayday

Posted

I noticed the inflight adjustable prop on it.   That would prevent if from being flown by a sport pilot.  I got the Kitfox 1 project that I'm currently working on from a guy about 20 miles or so from Green Bay last fall.  (Pulaski)  Jim Chuk

Posted

FYI:  The Kitfox 4 and later wings can be used on the earlier models, but the flaperon hangers are different, so the earlier flaperons wont fit the later wings or vise-versa, unless you modify the earlier ribs to take the new hanger brackets.   Also, strut bracket locations vary, so have to be checked.   EDMO

Posted

I currently have a Mk IV for Sale. $8,200 obo.

Posted

I currently have a fresh Jabiru 2200 with brand new prop for an Avid MK IV. I also have a mount for same. Also have a brand new heavy duty bush gear - complete, made by Airdale. Wheels, tires, & brakes too. Also have the original gear for sale.

C ontact me;  gary.dwinal@bossplow.com

Posted

Do you have pictures and prices of the things you listed for sale?  Also, where are you located?  JImChuk