Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mounting tires on split hubs with clamps

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I put new tires on my Matco split hubs, and used the guidance Matco publishes to squeeze the tire beads together, so the inner tube doesn't get pinched when the hub halves are bolted together. The procedure uses shop beam clamps to crush the sidewalls together, making the two bead rings almost touch, which makes it far easier to push the tube away from the hub halves so it doesn't get pinched. I used cheap Harbor Freight clamps, $3.97 each, to do it, and got both tires successfully mounted in a short afternoon. I posted the procedure below.It is also posted on the Matco site, under Technical Manuals & Service Bulletins (Compare)

Clamps to mount tires.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Nick! I ruined a new TW tube last spring from pinching it. Talcum powder helps too.

Posted

My trick of dropping one end of a string with a nut tied to each end of it inside the tube/tire by the valvestem and pulling it around to the other side after wheel halves are in place is double-insurance against pinching a tube.    EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I have had great luck cutting a Clorox bottle into strips that I tape into a ring that prevents the tube from being pinched. Works every time. Never a pinched tube since!

1 person likes this

Posted

I've used the plastic strip and insulated wire method, as well as clamps. All worked fine but the clamps won't work with larger tires. Broke two clamps mounting my 21x8x6, too far from the bead.

image.jpeg