Cali is Green

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Sorry I have not posted much lately. Been busy at work and home. Here's a few shots from the past few weeks. Got my Powered Parachute all ready to fly finally. I also made my first flight with my Lightspeed Zulu 2s. First time I've splurged on flight gear. Worth every penny! 19 hrs on the Rotax Rick rebuild and Desser 27s now. The center rib is still showing on the tires. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 people like this

Posted

I love the crossover theme between your hobby and day job. Nice pics from both. It's great seeing the taxpayer supported hardware getting put to use instead of say, tanks parked in New Mexico. 

Getting closer to dialing in the new gear?

1 person likes this

Posted

The gear works pretty good as is. I haven't had time to fly over to the guy who built it and tweak on it. My next sandbox tour is rapidly approaching. 

Posted

Mind if I borrow the gear till you get back?? ;-)  Just kidding of course, nice pictures by the way!  I acquired a like new Lightspeed 20 3G headset with that Kitfox 1 I got, and it almost sounds like the motor isn't running when you push the ANL button.  Almost spooky at first being as how I'm familiar with what that sounds like for real...  Jim Chuk

Posted

What a great job.  

Posted

What a great job.  

That is what I was thinking!!!

I really love and appreciate the pictures!!!

Posted

The gear works pretty good as is. I haven't had time to fly over to the guy who built it and tweak on it. My next sandbox tour is rapidly approaching. 

Are you flying around with out a nut on that lift strut rod end yet how did that all turn out

Posted

Are you flying around with out a nut on that lift strut rod end yet how did that all turn out

Yet another thing on the to do list that lost out to just going flying. I think if I run a die over the threads  and clean off the paint I may be able to get the jam nut in far enough for one more turn on the rod end. 

Posted

Yet another thing on the to do list that lost out to just going flying. I think if I run a die over the threads  and clean off the paint I may be able to get the jam nut in far enough for one more turn on the rod end. 

Im only asking because I was thinking anytime there is a witness hole in the rod end means you only need about 5/8 inch of threads inside the rod end, so with that being said you could probably sand off a tiny bit of the bottom of the rod end and get another turn out of her and still have more than enough threads in there, Just a thought, Im sure some one else will pipe in on this,

Posted

Good thought. Another thing I noticed is that my barn find Avid had bushings on either side of the rod end. Mine just has the bolt. I was going to install the ones off the barn find avid but damned if I can find where I stuck the container of bolts from when I took it apart. I don't think it's too critical but the manual shows them.

Posted

I have the bushings on mine just 5/16 4130 tubing with a 1/4 i.d.,  Joey a thought about running a die on that rod end.  AN bolts and probably that rod end to have rolled threads, not cut. The threads are actually pressed into the bolt shank instead of cut with a die.  It makes the threaded portion less susceptable to breaking as it doesn't have a sharp valley but a rounded valley between the threads.  I read in my aircraft maint books that you shouldnt cut new threads with a die as it makes the bolt weak.  Perhaps the same is true for chasing the threads. FWIW....

Posted

Absolutely makes sense. Thanks. At this point 380 hrs and 6 years down the road I am not too worried about one turn. FAI (fly as is)

1 person likes this