Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WIndy...

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well, not traumatic and all turned out okay in the end, but:

My sister was in from California for the Packer Game (a different traumatic story... :hammerhead:) this weekend. Monday after the game I was showing off the little plane and after seeing it, she wanted a short ride in the Kitfox.

Winds were 20 gusting to 35 out of 029. The runway is 25, so not so bad. We departed and were off the ground before we got past the numbers on the runway (maybe 150' ground roll!). The flight was bumpy but not too bad over all. Flew over the house and observed some of the scenery. Nice.

Landing was a bit of a challenge with the wind not staying from a constant direction or at a constant speed, so I hedged my bet and lined up on the parallel grass runway. I did a straight in, 1-1/2 mile final and chopped an bounced pretty well most of the way in. I went with no flaps and carried a little power over the threshold. The landing turned into a complete non event and I greased it smooth as silk. My sister said it was an awesome ride and had lots of fun. Little did she know I was pretty white knuckled on that landing and a little jittery afterwords...

Lesson: I think I did well, though it was more extreme than I should have tried. The conditions were on the ragged edge of my capabilities. The plane handled it fine, but I realized that I shouldn't try to match the plane's capabilities, yet. This was a good lesson and I did well, but it didn't need to happen.

Okay, this isn't a harrowing Alaska story of death, carnage and rabid grizzly bears, but maybe a little more mundane "lower 48" lesson that can serve a point to someone.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Well, not traumatic and all turned out okay in the end, but:

My sister was in from California for the Packer Game (a different traumatic story... :hammerhead:) this weekend. Monday after the game I was showing off the little plane and after seeing it, she wanted a short ride in the Kitfox.

Winds were 20 gusting to 35 out of 029. The runway is 25, so not so bad. We departed and were off the ground before we got past the numbers on the runway (maybe 150' ground roll!). The flight was bumpy but not too bad over all. Flew over the house and observed some of the scenery. Nice.

Landing was a bit of a challenge with the wind not staying from a constant direction or at a constant speed, so I hedged my bet and lined up on the parallel grass runway. I did a straight in, 1-1/2 mile final and chopped an bounced pretty well most of the way in. I went with no flaps and carried a little power over the threshold. The landing turned into a complete non event and I greased it smooth as silk. My sister said it was an awesome ride and had lots of fun. Little did she know I was pretty white knuckled on that landing and a little jittery afterwords...

Lesson: I think I did well, though it was more extreme than I should have tried. The conditions were on the ragged edge of my capabilities. The plane handled it fine, but I realized that I shouldn't try to match the plane's capabilities, yet. This was a good lesson and I did well, but it didn't need to happen.

Okay, this isn't a harrowing Alaska story of death, carnage and rabid grizzly bears, but maybe a little more mundane "lower 48" lesson that can serve a point to someone.

Don't have to be a story that gets you close to death to help someone learn! No flaps in heavy or gusty winds is the best thing you can do! Great job on getting the sister back in one piece and not letting her see how tense you were.. that would have really freaked her out!

:beerchug: