Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Muffler connection leakage

6 posts in this topic

Posted

My muffler has an elbow that joins the exhaust manifold to the muffler input.  These two joint connections are not very close fitting and leak exhaust gasses.  I plan to put a paste (made for mufflers) around the two joints and wrap with a muffler tape (its like a metal foil) and secure with hose clamps.

Are there other solutions that you have used?

Jon

Posted

What type of engine is this?  582?  Are you talking about the "ball joint" at the header?

Posted

I'm guessing that you have a 2 stroke from the way you describe it.  Those joints need to move somewhat as the engine and muffler move around.  Can you take them off the plane, and then move the joint around to find where it's touching and where it's not?  Might be  bumps (high spots) that are keeping the two halves apart enough to leak.  Hammer or file down the bumps till it seals better.  That being said, you can only bend the joint so far and then it's going to leak no matter what.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Sorry, yes it is a 582 and I have tried to move it around but it only has a very small range it can move and still properly connect.  It does have high spots (that's why it leaks) but have not been able to create a good fit.  I know it has to be able to move around but I don't want exhaust gas leaking into the cabin or blowing on a gas line.

Jon

Posted

If the alignment is close then try lapping with valve grinding past.

make sure every bit of abrasive is removed before startup or it will get in your engine!

1 person likes this

Posted

Anti-seize paste will blow out of an ill fitting joint and just make a mess. I used the valve lapping compound and lots of elbow grease. It wasn't a quick job, but did work. 

1 person likes this