Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Talkeetna Mtns Run

12 posts in this topic

Posted

These pics are a little old, back in March I wanted to check out a lake in the Talkeetna's for ice fishing.  As you can see I am on wheels but thought I would land at a lake on the way that has a small lodge and packs the lake for a runway.  No problem, so I thought I would try rolling off the packed snow and onto the unpacked to see how much it would sink in with my 30" airstreaks.  Immediately stopped with one wheel just getting into the unpacked snow, down about 6" through the crust; just a little too soft.  No way I was going to try to take off or land in that and risk getting flipped so after dragging my plane back onto the packed I stayed airborn....  And there were a couple of planes on the lake on skis, fishing.  Maybe next year.  Had a fun flight though, a bit over 4 hours.

DSCN1599-1.jpg

DSCN1606-1.jpg

DSCN1609-1.jpg

DSCN1612-1.jpg

DSCN1614-1.jpg

DSCN1615-1.jpg

DSCN1618-1.jpg

DSCN1621-1.jpg

DSCN1624-1.jpg

DSCN1627-1.jpg

DSCN1628-1.jpg

DSCN1635-1.jpg

DSCN1640-1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome pictures , Randy,did you do the leading edge extension on your avid? Got to recover my wings so going to do the leading edge and try extending the wings one bay

Posted

Hi Willis,  I just finished putting the KF leading edge that I got from Ed on my existing wings.  It helped the climb some so I am happy with it but it also changed the aileron control with flaps on full.  My full flaps go to 26 degrees and before the LE I could pull them full on and still had good aileron control but I have to back off one notch below full to keep full aileron control now.  I think if the wind is not gusty and I can set up with a level approach I can still use full flaps but not so good when you have to maneuver into your landing or the wind is tossing you around.  I need to get up in a calm day and see what is does in slow flight and stalls with full flaps at altitude.  Cruise speed seems to be unchanged.  Attached is a photo of just getting them glued on.

Right know I am rethinking if I want to build anything any more radical or not.  I may just do the KF LE on my new wings as well.

Are you going to change out your Subaru for the Yamaha?  Any troubles with your Subie or are you just looking for more HP?

Randy

DSCN1662-1.jpg

Posted

Ya I got the adapter plate and RX1 engine, my brother is a mechanic and seems gung ho to try and install it in the avid. Just not sure how long its going to take and I may have to get another cowl ,not sure yet.I do most of my flying in the winter so got all summer to mess with it.The soobie  is running fine, I just figured if I can loose 50lbs or more off the nose with a more horse power ,it should be a good combo. I would like a little slower stall and better glide ratio so thats why im going to extend the H.H. wings. Thanks for the pics and update on the leading edge,once we start ,ill try and remember to post some pictures.:BC:

Posted

It sounds like it could be a real performer.  Can't be too light or have too much HP!  I am real interested in how it works for you.  My biggest concern is what the reliability will be on the Yamaha in the long term since I tend to fly in a lot of areas I really would not like to have to land.  I was thinking about trying one on my MKIV when  put it back together though and then maybe switch it to the A+ if I like it.  I have about 500 hrs to go on the Subie until rebuild time so a while to think about it yet.  I just would love to have another 30 hp if it is reliable.  What is the expected cruise RPM for those Yamaha's?

Right now I plan to get going on my wing extension too.  I have the parts to build the new wings adding 18" to each wing and plan to use 1/2" washout like the KF and Magnum.  I am hoping that will give me a noticeably slower stall speed.

Keep posting, I'm anxious to hear your progress.

Randy

Posted

Teal did mention the cruise rpms for the yamaha but I forgot ,it might be in Rx1 yamaha post he made. The engine seems to have a good reputation in bikes and snowmobiles but havent heard of many of them in planes yet. Hoping to hear more on Steves highlander.  That was kinda another reason for updating,finding parts for the soob was getting tricky,took alot of searching for a water pump.

Posted

Teal did mention the cruise rpms for the yamaha but I forgot ,it might be in Rx1 yamaha post he made. The engine seems to have a good reputation in bikes and snowmobiles but havent heard of many of them in planes yet. Hoping to hear more on Steves highlander.  That was kinda another reason for updating,finding parts for the soob was getting tricky,took alot of searching for a water pump.

If you need help finding EA-81 parts, just let me know and I will try to find some here for you.   EDMO

Posted

Thanks Ed ,I did eventually find one but it took quite a bit of searching

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ed ,I did eventually find one but it took quite a bit of searching

just curious - What did you have to give for it and what year does it fit - Part# - I want to check my sources here.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

List price was 73.00 canadian so about half that for you guys ,lol Part number is 57-1042  from napa

Posted

Nice pics as usual Randy!  One of these days we will burn some air again.  I have not been getting in much stick time and its killing me, but other things are a priority right now... :BC:

Posted

I got this info off a friend on how to do the wing extensions on the avid so figure I would post it

Avd spar spice for extension.JPG

1 person likes this