Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Prop bolts

7 posts in this topic

Posted

On my Avid Mark IV the prop hub on the C drive (582 Engine)  has bolt hoes that are threaded and some not,  My project came with a prop and it is the correct prop. It had 8 mm bolts through the hub (not threaded) and held with nylon stop nuts. Is that correct or must the bolts drive into the hub?  If they must go into the hub then I need different propeller drilled for different bolts.  If I can use stop nuts should they be metal stop nuts?  . 

Jon

Posted

That is correct.  They should be torqued to 180 in lbs or so.  What manufacturer is the prop?

Posted

I am not sure what you were indication was correct.  The prop is a Culver.  Can I use nylon stop nuts or do I need metal stop nuts  ?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted (edited)

I don't know anything about your props, but metal stop nuts are only required inside the engine compartment, or where the temperature will exceed a certain amount - I guess a prop shaft can get warm after shutdown, but I wouldn't think it would exceed the 250F or ?? temperature of the nylon stop nuts unless the nuts are inside a tight cowl.  Wood props need to have the bolts/nuts torqued occasionally because of changes in the moisture content.   All prop bolts I have seen are safety wired.  Maybe someone else has better info.  Can you get info from prop or engine maker?

EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I use nylocks on my plane that requires nuts.

Posted

I use nylocks on my plane that requires nuts.

Me too...

Posted

+1