Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 4 selling as parts in Texas

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Saw this on Barnstormers a few minutes ago.  Greg from NY, looks like what you want, except for the distance..... I ran the N # and it's still registered to the seller.   Jim Chuk

$4,000 • CLEANING OUT THE HANGAR Formerly FAA certified as experimental, neglected, dirty, no more time to make minor repairs, selling airframe and engine separately as parts; 912 U engine never abused, less than 50 hrs since new mid 90's, 11,000; one arm of engine mount cracked; airframe needs minor fabric repairs, lexan windshield, propeller, mild assorted fiberglass repairs; nothing missing, needs thorough check of nuts and bolts, cranking system troubleshooting; you must haul away, but will include custom trailer; Houston TX 734 3550946 • Contact Karley Y. Little, Owner - located Baytown, TX USA • Telephone: 7343550946 . • Posted May 2, 2016 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to

Posted

I'll buy beer for anyone who can bring it to me...

Is there a member down that way who can take a look at it?  It looks really really neglected.  I'd want to take a real good look at everything before I commit.

I could probably fly down and stuff it in the back of a Uhaul and drive back.

Help me out guys.  I want to get back in the air again.

Posted

He says it comes with a custom trailer,  I hauled a Kitfox 4 fromTexas to MN behind my Buick Lesabre.  Maybe you could rent something smaller than a Uhaul with a hitch.  I wonder if it's the 1200 or 1050 gross weight.  Tail looks short, but maybe not. It's listed as serial # 015  on the FAA site so that doesn't tell anything.  It's a shame if he cancels the registration.  It's still current.  Jim Chuk 

Posted

Man, that thing looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. To rot away outside for a loooong time at that. So he wants $11k for the engine and $4k for the plane? $15k for the whole pile with 'free' trailer? Well, I guess you got to srart somewhere.

Posted

$20K by the time you get a flyable plane out of it?  I think you could buy one in better condition for that?    EDMO

Posted

I doubt that he will get anywhere near 11,000 for the engine.  The last thing in the world I need is another project, but if it was close to me, I'd have to go take a look. ;-)   I sprayed the Avid fuse today with poly brush, so I'm making some progress on my projects.  Jim Chuk

Posted

It's a 1200.  The tail gives it away.  The fin is far away from the rudder due to the moronic rod end bearings used as hinges.  The builder didn't fit the faring that fills the gap.

At most the whole load is worth $7500.  The motor will no doubt need lots of work and the airframe is parts value only.  It would take at least an additional $20k added to this pile of scrap to make it fly again.

1 person likes this

Posted

Greg, can you post a bunch of pictures of your fuselage where it's messed up?  I'm thinking that a good welder/fabricator can do a lot of work in a day on one of these planes.  How much work does yours really need?   Of course you have to be one, or be able to find that good welder/fabricator.   Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Since the Docs told me to quit welding or lose another kidney, I am fortunate that I have a FAA certified weld shop about 50 miles away from me.  He straightened out and re-made, modified, my bird after it fell off of the trailer.   Not cheap, but very good welding.   His main income is making WACO fuselages from blueprints.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Got an address for that welding shop?  I have some straps I need welded to the rudder pivot tubes for a service bulletin on my piper...

Mark

Posted (edited)

Mark,  He works out of his home / shop located a mile or two northwest of New Melle, Mo., and is VERY independent and hard to catch.

John Murray 636-398-4640

The FAA takes their welding to him - He restored a PA-12 for his father.  And repaired the J3.

You have to truck parts to him - the only thing that could land there would be a helicopter, which the FAA did.

I have a great TIG welder a little south of me, but not FAA certified.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks.  Imagine that, a VERY independent individual in Missouri.  Since I was born there I can talk about it :)  The state animal is the mule for a reason!  I have a TIG welder, and after some more practice I'll be brave enough to weld on my Avid, but the Piper needs all that certification stuff.

Mark

Posted

Greg, can you post a bunch of pictures of your fuselage where it's messed up?  I'm thinking that a good welder/fabricator can do a lot of work in a day on one of these planes.  How much work does yours really need?   Of course you have to be one, or be able to find that good welder/fabricator.   Jim Chuk

I'll get some good pictures posted soon.  I disassembled everything over the weekend to get to the repair areas.

I know the factory MIG welds these instead of TIG.  I have a MIG welder and have worked with 4130 before.  Mostly in making cages for race cars.  I would be comfortable welding in new tubing.  Really the most difficult thing is getting the welder dialed into what you are welding.  There are FAA published guidelines for tubing repair.

Posted

I have done a good bit of welding on fuses and various other components including helicopter spray booms etc.  As long as the IA will sign off on the work you don't need to be an "FAA" certified welder to weld on planes.  I have seen some seriously shitty welding coming out of "repair shops" that I wouldn't bet my life on hence me doing my own work.  When I rebuilt my plane I used MIG to do all the welding.  Since I picked up the new all in one welder I use TIG most of the time, but sometimes there is just no room to get the TIG torch into some of the corners so I go back to good ole Oxy Acetylene welding.

:BC:

Posted

Might take you less time to fix then a trip half way across the country plus the saved $.  And then while you're at it widen the fuselage as well.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I know it.  If I had another fuselage sitting next to mine I could use to make a jig from it would be easy.  One of my hobbies was repairing salvage cars and once you got it on the frame machine it was easy to see where it had to be because there are published frame measurement diagrams.  There aren't any for these without making your own.  It would be easy for me just to replace the damaged tubes but I don't want to weld them in if there is a twist somewhere.  I want to get all measurements verified before I start welding.  The frames for these really aren't that complicated.

I think what I am going to do is make a drawing of the structure and the measurements needed and ask if people can help get the measurements.

Posted

When I was replacing mine, I just used the engine mount bolt holes and wing mounts for level and clamped it down to pipe jacks and filled in the blanks.  Getting the rudder post plumb was pretty easy as well when I change it out. 

Posted

Greg, I have 2 kitfox 4 fuselages I can measure from.  One has never been flown yet, so I know it's straight.  Let us know what you need.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Mark,   John only uses O/A welding as far as I know - his welds are perfection, or at least all I have seen, and that's a lot.

You would have to talk to him about sign-offs in logbook - Mine was just experimental, so no paperwork.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

When I was replacing mine, I just used the engine mount bolt holes and wing mounts for level and clamped it down to pipe jacks and filled in the blanks.  Getting the rudder post plumb was pretty easy as well when I change it out. 

Speaking of tails:  I read an engineer's paper once that said the squared vertical tail on the earlier Cessnas was the most efficient design, but Cessna changed it to the slanted vertical tail, which was less efficient, because it looked better and helped sales.     EDMO

Posted

Greg, I have 2 kitfox 4 fuselages I can measure from.  One has never been flown yet, so I know it's straight.  Let us know what you need.  Jim Chuk

sorry I cut off your important message Jim.   EDMO