Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1986 Avid Flyer wing kits???

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys new to all of this and looking at restoring a avid flyer 1986.  I am wondering if anyone sells a rib kit for the wings?  Any advice would be helpful. Thank Keith 

image.jpeg

Posted

It might be possible to get some parts from Brett at Airdale, but that seems like a long shot lately.  What parts do you really need?  Maybe someone has what you need from a junked out plane.  Jim Chuk

Posted

If you only have a couple of ribs damaged, it may be easier to repair them rather than replace.   EDMO

Posted

Keith,

Hello, welcome and please let us know your locality. I *may* have a set of newly constructed custom long speed wings available soon.

-Doug

Posted

Hi.  I'm in southern Ca.    The ribs have water damage on them. Some are just plain rotten others just pealing up. I figured I have a few good ones I can make them but was wondering if I can just buy to save time 

Posted

image.jpeg

Posted

Also only info I have as of now it it's a 1986 serial number 109 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on saving another one! Is that the one that was listed for 3K? It's an A model. Must be a 532 or 582 since it has a radiator. I have a set of STOL wings with bad spars in the East Bay area that may interest you. I've been debating on what I want to do with them. I also have quite a few other parts for an early B model. Looks like you have a complete tear down and restoration ahead of you. Let me know what you are after once you get it torn down and I will see what I have in my stash pile.

Be sure to check out the files and forms section. Almost all of the original brochures, newsletters, and literature are here.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/forum/36-files-and-forms/

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

If you have cable brakes you may want to change them out for hydraulic brakes, wheels too.   EDMO

Posted

Yep it's that one that was on Craig's list.  Ya total strip down and rebuild.   Still trying to figure out if it's really what I want to do.   I am working on my PPL and just want a good recreation flyer. Always wanted a Cessna 120 but this seams close and cheaper 

Posted

I hope you know enough about 2-stroke engines to keep the fan turning!   EDMO

Posted

I have worked on tons of 2 stroke motors from seadoos to dirtbikes.  Guess that's my only concern as I have seen these motors go south fast. Not as reliable as a 4 stroke.   But that's why I'm posting here to get some advice on if it's a good safe bet 

1 person likes this

Posted

I find that most 2 strokes are only as good as the operators.. if your of the tuning group that likes to lean them out till she burns down then back up a jet size, you probly wont be too happy.  If your happy to run the plugs a little dark and you understand how to fly behind one, they are as safe as any other engine out there IMO.. I know of lots of 4 strokes that have left people walking or getting an ambulance ride.. I also know of 2 strokes that have done it as well.  I for one am happy with my 2 strokes.

:BC:

Posted

Yep your right. All about how you run them.  Can't just set the throttle and then leave it.  You need to clear them out and I always am a fan of a lil Ritch and clearing them out. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Ive flown mine from CA to Idaho 4 times. 550nm each way. One day trip each direction every time.

2 people like this

Posted

What engine are you running? Also what are your rebuild and tare down times like 

Posted

He is running a 582 like a bunch of us.  He sends his engines off to Rotax Rick in Florida to do his rebuilds.  I do my own.  Its a day to tear it down and inspect it then put it back together. 

:BC:

Posted

Ran my last one 351 hrs. I run Amsoil premix. No injector system. Are reliable fuel delivery system and proper tuning is key. 

Posted

Good afternoon guys.  Anyone know where I can get a copy of the builders manual for a model A?  Saw the one on this page but was wondering if there was a better copy out there thanks Keith