It's HOT!

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I sure didn't miss this part of deployments. Wearing a flight suit and stepping out to a closed up jet is miserable in this weather.  The other pic is my 8 ft by 6 ft space that is separated from 3 other guys by bedsheets hanging off the ceiling. Could always be worse but the again this is my home 4-5 months of the year. It gets old. 

Forum has been slow lately. I need you guys to post build and flying pics so I have something to look at between sleeping and flying!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Quite different from my tour of duty - We had some warm 90F days in Germany, but sleeping bags on the ground in winter and waking up after an hour of sleep covered with snow, having to move 2 or 3 times at night and driving on ice roads all night in the mountains was no fun either.  I had movies of our SP 105 Howitzers and M48 and M60 tanks doing 180's down a mountain road on the ice, but they all burned in my house.

I used to pick up papers at the weather station in Grafenwohr, Germany, and the folks there couldn't believe that I had been in 115F to 118F summers about 1953 - 1954 in Missouri, but they checked the records, and I was right.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Ahhhhh yes,  duty at the  "Graf".  I  remember it well in the  late 70's.  A different  time, a different world.

Posted (edited)

Ahhhhh yes,  duty at the  "Graf".  I  remember it well in the  late 70's.  A different  time, a different world.

Surprised there is anything left standing!  We blew the hell out of it (and some of our troops too) in the 50's and 60's!   We were always at Graf in the summer, but winter maneuvers were in the mountains, and along the Donau / Danube River.   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey Joey:

I think you butt dialed me at about 1350Z yesterday.  In any case you didn't leave a message so I doubt it was important.  

I've slept 2000 nights double bunked with strangers on the North Slope in Alaska.  Damned uncomfortable for sure.  I always thought that "snorer" or "quiet sleeper" should have been noted on everybody's badge and then bunk the bastards together you know?  It's bad enough when you only get 5-6 hours sleep a night under normal circumstances but to be bunked with a fog horn too added just a little too much insult to the injury.  

The money was good though.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Get those snorers to take a piece of chewing gum held between the rear teeth or in the cheek of their mouth. Cuts down the snoring huge. No kidding, this trick works. Not when your drunk or sleep apnea. Sure helps with the "normal" snoring though. Oh yaa...EAR PLUGS!

Edited by IFMT

Posted

Hey Joey:

I think you butt dialed me at about 1350Z yesterday.  In any case you didn't leave a message so I doubt it was important.  

I've slept 2000 nights double bunked with strangers on the North Slope in Alaska.  Damned uncomfortable for sure.  I always thought that "snorer" or "quiet sleeper" should have been noted on everybody's badge and then bunk the bastards together you know?  It's bad enough when you only get 5-6 hours sleep a night under normal circumstances but to be bunked with a fog horn too added just a little too much insult to the injury.  

The money was good though.  

Yes I managed to dial two people on FaceTime in the span of 30 seconds. I am surprised it even went thru. I had just spent 30 minutes trying to connect to my wife. I am lucky on this crew no snorers and so far everyone has been very considerate. Shouldn't be too bad of an 8 weeks. Got In some crew bonding over a beer and cornhole game for Cinco De Mayo last night after coming off of 36 hrs of sitting alert. Yes we can have 3 beers every 24 hrs here so it's not all bad.

image.jpeg

1 person likes this