Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Navworx ADS-B 600 EXP clicking noise

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought I would throw this info in for the next guy installing an ADS-B...

I can only speak for the Navworx ADS-B 600 EXP, but after installing my new 600, I had a loud, cycling, clicking noise in my intercom.  By pulling circuit breakers I determined it was my ADS-B unit.  I called Navworx and they had me ground the box with a braided strap and the ground plane was grounded with a pigtail, but it didn't change the noise.

I chased all of my wires and made sure everything was grounded properly and all solder cups in the plug still had connected wires.  This took forever!  I was frustrated and Navworx wanted me to put a coffee can over the antenna to see if that reduced the sound.  Instead I realized that the transponder and ADS-B antennas were exactly the same, but I had the transponder antenna way back in the tail and the ADS-B in the belly of the cockpit.  I swapped the antenna cables with the two units and poof, my clicking sound was almost completely eliminated!

So keep this in mind if you decide to install ADS-B out.  It must have some serious broadcast strength.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Yep, now you will only have the clicking when your transponder responds to a query......

Mark

Posted

Mark you are right!

If you follow all of the antenna rules you would need an aircraft 50' long and 20' wide!  If it is cloth covered then start stuffing it full of aluminum foil for a ground plane!  It is crazy!

I figure the short pipes on my Lycoming will drown out a click or two, but it is annoying when I'm making prop noises in the garage :)

Thanks,

Ron

1 person likes this