Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Differences between a 3.47 and 2.62 E-box

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I am running a 70" warp drive on an Ebox with a 2.62:1 reduction. Think I could still swing the same prop with a 3.47:1 gearbox? The engine in question previously had an 68" Ivo on it. I found a pretty good deal and just trying to consider everything. Having to buy a new prop to switch over will weigh on my decision. Thoughts?

Posted

I am running a 70" warp drive on an Ebox with a 2.62:1 reduction. Think I could still swing the same prop with a 3.47:1 gearbox? The engine in question previously had an 68" Ivo on it. I found a pretty good deal and just trying to consider everything. Having to buy a new prop to switch over will weigh on my decision. Thoughts?

Isn't Leni running a 72" IVO prop with a 3:1 box?

With a 3.47 and a 70", it may almost turn a little too slow for optimum, or maybe not. Try it, there doesn't seem to be a huge deal with changing ratios.

Posted

just swap the gear boxes. If you end up with 2 E gear boxes, I may be interested in one of them so I can have Electric start on the new 800 engine...

I would not think the 3.47 would be real good for the avid. Prop would be turning slower, maybe too slow. The higher gear ratios are normally used on PPC, but you never know, you may be able to hog in more pitch and it will pull like a mofo. You should be able to contact one of the outfits like cps or even warp and tell them what you are thinking and see what it will do for you in terms of thrust and speed.

:beerchug:

Posted

Thanks for the replies. That engine was a on a trike before. Looks like my other deal is going to go through. I should have a zero timed blue head headed my way soon. I'll be using the E-box that's on my bird now. While were on the subject I've never seen a TBO on the gearbox. Mine very well could have the entire 1200 hours that this engine has on it on the box. It doesn't leak chatter or vibrate so I'm thinking it's probably good to go. Anyone ever heard of a failure of a gearbox from being worn out?

Posted

A 3.47 to 1 redrive at least on a vw is supposed to be good for 84 inches of propellor Your going to be turning a70 a little slow , but one take of and you will see.But if the deal is good ebay is getting $2500 or more for E boxes. you will only have about 75 percent of prop speed

Posted

A 3.47 to 1 redrive at least on a vw is supposed to be good for 84 inches of propellor Your going to be turning a70 a little slow , but one take of and you will see.But if the deal is good ebay is getting $2500 or more for E boxes. you will only have about 75 percent of prop speed

I bought a 582 out of a Kitfox 4 and it has a 68 inch Powerfin with a 3 to 1 box.The guy that had it said it was a perfect match but I dont know as my plane is not finished yet. A 68 inch prop is about all I can go unless I go with bigger tires.Its a 3 blade ground adjustable and I also see that Powerfin is out of business.I still have the new style motormount for the KF 4 if anybody needs one. Its red powdercoated and has the side mounts, I wish I could use that style on my Skyraider. Randy

Posted

I bought a 582 out of a Kitfox 4 and it has a 68 inch Powerfin with a 3 to 1 box.The guy that had it said it was a perfect match but I dont know as my plane is not finished yet. A 68 inch prop is about all I can go unless I go with bigger tires.Its a 3 blade ground adjustable and I also see that Powerfin is out of business.I still have the new style motormount for the KF 4 if anybody needs one. Its red powdercoated and has the side mounts, I wish I could use that style on my Skyraider. Randy

Hey Randy,

Dont be afraid to post up some pics of your build! We are not just about KF or Avids here, if it floats, flys, drives or ... well and one of the other f's . . we are into it and are happy to have it here!

Mind posting a pic on the motor mount? I am going to be needing a mount for my science project here pretty soon, and it may be easier to modify yours than to build mine from scratch.

Thanks

Posted

Hey Randy,

Dont be afraid to post up some pics of your build! We are not just about KF or Avids here, if it floats, flys, drives or ... well and one of the other f's . . we are into it and are happy to have it here!

Mind posting a pic on the motor mount? I am going to be needing a mount for my science project here pretty soon, and it may be easier to modify yours than to build mine from scratch.

Thanks

Will do, Im not the greatest computer wiz so I may have to wait for my wife to help me out, but I will try and put some pictures of the mount and throw some plane build shots. Thanks Randy

Posted

Will do, Im not the greatest computer wiz so I may have to wait for my wife to help me out, but I will try and put some pictures of the mount and throw some plane build shots. Thanks Randy

if you have a shot you want for your avatar you can post it or email it and I can load it up for you if you are having troubles figuring out how to put a pic in for your avatar!

Posted

post-104-12574783268041_thumb.jpgpost-104-12574783837575_thumb.jpgpost-104-1257478615227_thumb.jpgpost-104-12574785620121_thumb.jpgpost-104-12574784552253_thumb.jpg

if you have a shot you want for your avatar you can post it or email it and I can load it up for you if you are having troubles figuring out how to put a pic in for your avatar!

Here are some of my Skyraider build shots dont know if they will even show up as I dont know what I am doing. I will send a picture of the motor mount, wish I could use it as its a nice unit. Thanks Randy