Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

If you could have anything done to your 582

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay my new Blue Head is being built this weekend. It will be torn down, inspected, and have all new seals put in it before it ships out. The builder also told me he would do whatever I wanted to it. I'm going to have him flip the Y-pipe for my inverted application, jet the carbs for my elevation, remove the oil injection pump. It's coming with no gearbox as I'm going to use the one that's on my engine currently. Anything else you guys can think of that I should have him do while it's apart. It only has 100hrs TTSN on it. Anyone ever pulled an E-box off and swapped it to another engine?

Posted

Okay my new Blue Head is being built this weekend. It will be torn down, inspected, and have all new seals put in it before it ships out. The builder also told me he would do whatever I wanted to it. I'm going to have him flip the Y-pipe for my inverted application, jet the carbs for my elevation, remove the oil injection pump. It's coming with no gearbox as I'm going to use the one that's on my engine currently. Anything else you guys can think of that I should have him do while it's apart. It only has 100hrs TTSN on it. Anyone ever pulled an E-box off and swapped it to another engine?

Your Y pipe that you have now will work perfect on the engine. You can use the carbs you have now etc.. You sure you want to remove the oil pump? When idling on the pump, you are about 100:1. As you increase throttle settings, it will increase oil injection up to 50:1. If you run straight 50:1 premix, you will be running a bit richer than if you are oil injected. You also have to play with the jets if you premix oil as the viscosity of the gas just changed and you need a fatter jet to pass the same amount of gasoline.. atleast, this is the way it has been on EVERY snowmobile I disconnected the injection pump on (the late 80s yamaha's were notorious for the pump going out) so I would pull it and run premix.. could not figure out why I kept burning down a cylinder as I had not changed the jets... duuhh.. it was cause I had to change the jets after going premix.

Never pulled a E box, but the B and C boxes are no problems. if you need a gear puller let me know and I can ship one to you Saturday. I believe they are the same for the C and the E gear boxes.

If I can think of anything else I will post it up :lol:

:beerchug: < fer getting a new blue head

Posted

Thanks Leni,

I have to send my engine in as a core in the same shape as the engine I'm getting. I thought about going injection but I've just seen too many problems with them. I'm running Amsoil Saber Professional full synthetic at 80:1 anyways. It's my first experience with it and this is the cleanest running two stroke I've ever seen. My engine does not see much idle time. :buttrock: I'd have to plumb the lines and mount the reservoir..all that crap. I'll be playing with the jetting probably as this engine was ran at about 4000 msl. I'm at Sea Level here. I figure he has to pull the Y pipe off to pull the barrels so that's why I asked him to flip it for me when it goes back on. I should be able to come up with a gear puller if the one I have does not work. Thanks for the offer though.

Posted

Thanks Leni,

I have to send my engine in as a core in the same shape as the engine I'm getting. I thought about going injection but I've just seen too many problems with them. I'm running Amsoil Saber Professional full synthetic at 80:1 anyways. It's my first experience with it and this is the cleanest running two stroke I've ever seen. My engine does not see much idle time. :buttrock: I'd have to plumb the lines and mount the reservoir..all that crap. I'll be playing with the jetting probably as this engine was ran at about 4000 msl. I'm at Sea Level here. I figure he has to pull the Y pipe off to pull the barrels so that's why I asked him to flip it for me when it goes back on. I should be able to come up with a gear puller if the one I have does not work. Thanks for the offer though.

I would put Artic s\Sparrow mixture controls on your carbs. Adjust the carbs from the cockpit.

Posted

I would put Artic s\Sparrow mixture controls on your carbs. Adjust the carbs from the cockpit.

Alternatively, I have the HacMan mixture control sold by Green Sky Adventures and it works great for controlling the mixture for altitude and seasonal changes (from the cockpit). You can make it up yourself for about $30 bucks or so in parts and materials. Good luck and cheers!

Posted

Alternatively, I have the HacMan mixture control sold by Green Sky Adventures and it works great for controlling the mixture for altitude and seasonal changes (from the cockpit). You can make it up yourself for about $30 bucks or so in parts and materials. Good luck and cheers!

I have the Arctic Sparrow mixture on mine (which you cant get anymore that I know of as the number and email I had for Bud Gish no longer works). I find myself playing with those Fn knobs way too much. I set them on the ground when on wheels as the instructions say to do, but on floats of skis it is kinda hard to sometimes so I do a rolling run up / mixture adjust. Even when adjusted per the instructions on the ground, when in the air and I pull the power back to say 3500 for a decent she will run a bit rough so I tweak them a little till it smooths out. If I go back to cruise, I have to richen them up a turn or two to keep EGTs under control.

Using the flow meter, I can loose or gain almost 1 GPH in cruise by tweaking the needles. On a 4 stroke this is cool, or on 2 stroke with fixed pitch it is OK as you know you have the load set right. With the IFA prop, I can change EGTS drastically with pitch alone, and with the needles... the hard part is getting them both set right so the compliment each other, and not lean it way out, then load the hell out of the engine to bring the EGTs back down. I have many times thought about trading my inflight adjustable tops and barrels off to someone who could really use them down south, and I will just go with normal carbs here. I take off at sea level (or within a couple hundred feet) and rarely go over 5000'. Some of you gus that need to go to 10,000 + to clear mountain ranges would get alot more use out of the adjustable carb than I will. 99% of the time I am under 1000' enroute to someplace, and am on the deck if terrain allows.

:beerchug: