Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aircooled from Germany, One of 989

22 posts in this topic

Posted

I get distracted from time to time on projects. ADHD... & what have you... ;) And for good reason. I could sell this for a trick Carbon Cub!!! "Sell this"...? Did I just say that?

I'm putting the old '72 back in service! Waiting on a few parts now..... Been working like crazy also... And thinking about a CARBON CUB!!! :flamegun:

911S Targa I have had for 24yrs or so mostly in storage. Estate sale. Some showed interest in this so I thought I would share.... Carbon Cub... Dammmit!!!! :blink:

DSCN8582_zps71915c92.jpg

DSCN8575_zpsc9e2c167.jpg

And I finally have these bastards some what sorted!!!! Carbon Cub!!!!

DSCN4384_zps6ea2899a.jpg

Weber 40 IDA carbs... And now I have an ignition problem. Coil gets hot and dies!!!! I did not cut it off!!!  Carbon Cub!!!

Posted (edited)

The sweet music of a Porsche...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

The sweet music of a Porsche...

I agree Larry - Sounds just like a Subaru in a Kitfox or Avid!  :BC: 

Did anyone notice the BANDIT for sale on ebay with the Soob EA81 ?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No way Ed. With all due respect, this is a six banger. It originally came with mechanical fuel injection resembling a diesel. And my next project is tracking down the parts to restore that part of the puzzle.

Posted

No way Ed. With all due respect, this is a six banger. It originally came with mechanical fuel injection resembling a diesel. And my next project is tracking down the parts to restore that part of the puzzle.

I didn't mean that it sounded like a Bandit with an EA-81 - More like the Six Cylinder injected Soob in a Vans or was that a Mustang 2? 

The Soob 4 still sounds good to me.  Ha!

Posted (edited)

You'll have to forgive Ed.  He's old and senile.  :blink:

Not to mention his hearing is shot to hell if he thinks that euphonious sound is like the cacophonous wheezing of a rice grinder. :lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVuiSRMSQ

Edited by Av8r3400
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You'll have to forgive Ed.  He's old and senile.  :blink:

Not to mention his hearing is shot to hell if he thinks that euphonious sound is like the cacophonous wheezing of a rice grinder. :lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVuiSRMSQ

Agree totally - and I have a little red Fx4 Ford Ranger that I wouldn't swap for a sports car, even if you paid me cash difference!        And, I'll bet I can outrun yours - on mud!  :lol:   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ford Ranger huh, didn't they stop making those things a decade or two ago? :P

[edit] For the price difference between a Carbon Cub and the new KF7 O-340 Super STOL, I wonder if you might afford a nice older 911 Targa!

Edited by dholly

Posted

Hahaha!!! :P I like the sound the Soobs too. Especially with a turbo and open exhaust! ;)

KF7 O-340 Super STOL? I'll have to look into that.

Posted

$ Kitfox SS O-340 = $ 2017 Porsche 911

Posted

Was unaware McBeans released pricing. Your post is a bit unclear, are you saying the KF will be priced only $2 grand less than the CC?

Posted

Pricing for the STi is out. Like $30-35k for the kit. What's a O340 going for?  $40k?  $50k?  FWF kit can be guessed at $4-7k.   Call it $90k for parts plus avionics, paint, bush wheels and incidentals, I'd call it an easy $120k for that plane.  

What my post meant was a 7STi - O340 will cost the same as a NEW Porsche 911. 

Posted (edited)

Pricing for the STi is out. Like $30-35k for the kit. What's a O340 going for?  $40k?  $50k?  FWF kit can be guessed at $4-7k.   Call it $90k for parts plus avionics, paint, bush wheels and incidentals, I'd call it an easy $120k for that plane.  

I would take a little less than that for my antique collectors item little red Ranger - If you have a full-grown truck with an 8-foot bed to trade, and not one of those modified SUV trucks with a 4-foot bed on it!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.5a896f907034a3ab2616e66

I dunno, Ed.  A real truck may be too much truck for you to handle...

Posted (edited)

I had a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4, got 12 mpg empty and 6 mpg pulling trailer 8000 miles to Ak & back @ Canadian $6 a gallon - should have bought the diesel and got 20 mpg - after 20K of that, traded it for the antique half-grown V6 4x4 Ford Ranger....Thanks for contributing to my retirement pay from Chrysler!   BTW:  I don't think you can get standard cab and 8' bed now.   Maybe with the new Jeep truck that is coming back?  The Ranger that has been still selling in other countries is coming back too - as a 4-door 1/2 SUV!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

But what's the 2016 Kitfox STi SLSA go for? My point was that the 2016 Carbon Cub SLSA (with 26" Alaska Bushwheel Airstreak Tires, Extended 3x3 Gear, Baby Bushwheel Tail Wheel, Extended range tanks and GPS etc.) is gonna run you $250k. Buy the STi and get comparable performance for 1/2 the cost AND put a nice Porsche 911 in the hangar along side it!

:BC:

Posted

Douggie!  I'm gonna hang around you more if you got that kinda coin!

You're buying at Wendt's this year!   :BC:

I sold my airplane and all I can do is re-gravel my driveway and maybe update my golf cart...  

Posted

Big bank accounts are a thing of my past after the last 6 years of higher education for our kids (actually, the equivalent of 14 cumulative years 'cause they were all in college at the same time)!. Private college costs are just out of control, and trust me, it doesn't take much income to reach the cut off threshold for grants and financial aid. Hell, I coulda bot a new Carbon Cub, a new 911 Turbo and actually afforded a nice big hangar to store the toys. Did I mention I love my kids? They darn sure better take care of me and the wifey when we get old!  :)

Posted (edited)

Depends on which one you want. ;) The Turbo S is a bit higher.

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

But what's the 2016 Kitfox STi SLSA go for? My point was that the 2016 Carbon Cub SLSA (with 26" Alaska Bushwheel Airstreak Tires, Extended 3x3 Gear, Baby Bushwheel Tail Wheel, Extended range tanks and GPS etc.) is gonna run you $250k. Buy the STi and get comparable performance for 1/2 the cost AND put a nice Porsche 911 in the hangar along side it!

:BC:

CC is 75K less panel, batteries, ELT, and engine from what I gather.  It is also a very complete kit down the bolts, washers, screws etc. That would be worth a lot to me as far as sourcing and gathering parts. More or less it is a lighter better designed Cub. 2100 ft/mn climb is pretty impressive. I am guessing 150K ready to fly.

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.5a896f907034a3ab2616e66

I dunno, Ed.  A real truck may be too much truck for you to handle...

Hard to beat the 5.9 IL6. I have four of them. From an 01 dually work horse to an 05 hotrod! What is another thing that is impressive is how well the bodies hold up.

Posted

After many years of building, rebuilding, repairing and/or refurbishing 5 planes but not much flying, I would pay for turnkey SLSA if I could! Many say the KF7 is a lighter, better designed Cub, albeit a side-by-side not tandem. We don't have back country strips and gravel bars here so I prefer side-by-side, only exception is tandem with doors each side for float ops.