Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WING LIGHTS, Cheap!

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think I have purchased a quantity of New HELLA wing position lights - They look the same as Grimes late model lights.   I believe that I can possibly replace the standard bulbs with LED bulbs if requested by the 2-stroke flyers, or you might be able to buy the LED strobe bulbs for them?  But I have to wait until they arrive to find out about that. 

Anyway, I will let you have them at $100 a pair, shipped free.  They will soon be on ebay for more than that.  I will post with photos when they are available - so if you need position lights, just stay tuned - "don't touch that dial".

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

did they show up yet ED

Posted (edited)

did they show up yet ED

TJay,  They have been shipped to me - It may take a few days to find out if I can get LED bulbs to fit them, and if they take the strobe LED bulbs that Spruce sells.  They include the standard bulbs.  I also have to test each set before shipping them.  As soon as I have good info, I will post it with photos and prices.  I will let you all have them at cheaper price than on ebay.   These look like they may be better design than Grimes.   They are probably FAA approved too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

These position lights are being sold on ebay now for $150 a set, or $300 for 2 sets.   They have 24 Volt bulbs in them.   Tomorrow, Monday, I will post everything about them, and will sell them to AFF members and friends for only $85 a set, with free shipping to U.S.A., and will explain about bulbs for them.     EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

OK - Here is the scoop on some cheap, New, Hella, wing position lights:  I was able to grab a limited supply of these, and they are a bargain at $85 a set of 2 including shipping to U.S.A., but will ship overseas at your expense.                                                                                                             These are complete with the same 7512 bulbs that Grimes uses, but the bulbs are 24 volt.  I could have removed the bulbs and sold them, but will leave that up to you to do, as I don't have the time.  You can replace the bulbs with 12 volt bulbs, either the Grimes 7512-12 @ $16.45 on page 641 in new Spruce catalog, or you can buy the LED bulbs P/N 13-15810, page 622 @ $16.95 to save on power draw for 2-strokes, but IMO, the best is the LED strobe bulbs P/N 11-12193, page 626 @ $34.70, like AkFlyer, Leni, uses.                                                                                         These lights are brand new, and cheaper than any others, and compared to the Grimes light shown in my photo on the right, IMO, are a better design on the electrical part - They come with rubber boots to enclose the wires and contacts.  All have silver colored covers which contain the 3 mounting screws.  I only have a very limited number of these to sell, so if you want a set or two sets send me a check or money order with your address and also a PM to help me keep track.  You can click on the photo for a larger view.   ED ASHBY, 1796 ORCHARD DRIVE, ARNOLD, MO 63010-2424   

IMG_1645.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I just received a set of these from Ed and they're just what I needed for my kit! I had been looking and couldn't find a set of wing position lights that wouldn't bust the bank. These are just as advertised and a great value. Thanks Ed!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Certainly look like a good option but I know little about this electrical stuff. So, here's my question... If I want position and strobe lights on my A+ project (but have a balanced rudder, which means the typical vertical stabilizer location for an independent strobe is out), can these Hellas be modified economically to position/strobe lights? I'm assuming that is what Ed means when he recommends the LED 11-12193 bulbs, but then you need a strobe controller, right? What are my options?

Edited by dholly

Posted

Doug, I may be off-base with my answer to your question, but my thought is these only make great wing position lights. When you couple the fixture with the LED light that turns into a strobe (if you power cycle it twice within 3 seconds) you now have a "colored" strobe wing position light. However, they are "forward facing" fixtures with colored lenses, so you won't get any aft position visibility from the tips. I understand the difficulty of locating an aft position light when you have a balanced rudder  . . . and I don't think these fixtures are an option that will help solve that problem.

Posted (edited)

Doug,

The LED constant/strobe bulbs will only fill the need for forward wing position lights at night, but the strobe function can be used in daylight to get some attention from other pilots.  They use less power than the original Grimes bulbs.  You do not need a controller with them.  They do not meet the FAA specs for strobe lighting for night flights.  Sport pilots cant fly at night anyway, but if you are near sunup or sundown, or in bright daylight, these can sure be a safety margin to get you noticed.   These are just new position lights that are about 4 to 6 times cheaper than most new lights.   For you to be "night-legal", you would have to get white strobes that meet one of the requirements as listed in the Spruce book diagrams for the strobe lights. You still need a constant white rear position light, either on the tail or one on each wingtip.  Your best option might be the $$$ wing position lights with the additional clear strobe lenses, and the rear white lenses all-in-one, and you will need a controller/power supply, as well as sheilded wire, which these do not need.    Hope this helps you.  EDMO                  Afterthought:  There is a kit that lets you add Clear, Strobe lights to the position lights, and it is cheaper than buying the Grimes or Whelen position lights with strobes, but you would still need the white taillight.  I have a set of Grimes lights with this modification added to them, for my bird.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok I think got it, thanks guys. For a moment Ed had me a little bit excited but I may be doomed to the high dollar light$$ for this project.

Posted (edited)

Ok I think got it, thanks guys. For a moment Ed had me a little bit excited but I may be doomed to the high dollar light$$ for this project.

Sorry these wont work for you Doug, I was just trying to help the guys who needed to save some $$$ and could get by with cheaper lights.    EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Well let me be the first to say you are a Gentleman and Cheapskate. Well, maybe not the first but it sure is good of you to keep your E-AB friends in mind when you come across great deals like this.

P.S. - You know, I do have a brand new set of Whelens in my soon-for-sale kits. It's real tough bit I'm am doing everything possible to keep the kits intact and not cherry-pick the stuff I need!

Posted

Well let me be the first to say you are a Gentleman and Cheapskate. Well, maybe not the first but it sure is good of you to keep your E-AB friends in mind when you come across great deals like this.

P.S. - You know, I do have a brand new set of Whelens in my soon-for-sale kits. It's real tough bit I'm am doing everything possible to keep the kits intact and not cherry-pick the stuff I need!

I don't know so much about being a "Gentleman", but being poorly retired and "Cheapskate" fit me just fine!  :BC:   EDMO

Posted

With what a set of new Whelens cost, I'd be tempted to use them. It would be nice to keep everything together for the buyer, but will the kit be less marketable without them? 

Posted (edited)

For those who are new on here:

I've still got a few sets of New Hella / Goodrich Position lights to sell.  $85 including shipping to U.S.  See my post and photo above.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

OK - Here is the scoop on some cheap, New, Hella, wing position lights:  I was able to grab a limited supply of these, and they are a bargain at $85 a set of 2 including shipping to U.S.A., but will ship overseas at your expense.                                                                                                             These are complete with the same 7512 bulbs that Grimes uses, but the bulbs are 24 volt.  I could have removed the bulbs and sold them, but will leave that up to you to do, as I don't have the time.  You can replace the bulbs with 12 volt bulbs, either the Grimes 7512-12 @ $16.45 on page 641 in new Spruce catalog, or you can buy the LED bulbs P/N 13-15810, page 622 @ $16.95 to save on power draw for 2-strokes, but IMO, the best is the LED strobe bulbs P/N 11-12193, page 626 @ $34.70, like AkFlyer, Leni, uses.                                                                                         These lights are brand new, and cheaper than any others, and compared to the Grimes light shown in my photo on the right, IMO, are a better design on the electrical part - They come with rubber boots to enclose the wires and contacts.  All have silver colored covers which contain the 3 mounting screws.  I only have a very limited number of these to sell, so if you want a set or two sets send me a check or money order with your address and also a PM to help me keep track.  You can click on the photo for a larger view.   ED ASHBY, 1796 ORCHARD DRIVE, ARNOLD, MO 63010-2424   

IMG_1645.JPG

Still have any of these Ed?

Posted

Barry,  Yes I still have lights for sale - Sent you a PM.  EDMO