Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A&P is not a lawnmower mechanic!

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My Troy-built lawn tractor would mow half of the lawn, or sometimes make only one circle before quitting running - sounded like it was running out of gas.   About a week of pulling gas lines, checking fuel flow at the filter, checking float setting and needle valve, I had given up and talked to my local lawnmower mechanic who said he would pick up the tractor and check it out in his shop.  He had no clue of what was causing the stoppage.  When he arrived to pick up the tractor, his 15-year-old son took the gas cap off of the tank while we were talking - He quickly said the cap vent was plugged up since he couldn't blow thru the cap.  10 seconds cleaning the vent with my pocketknife, and the cap was again vented.  He made us both feel dumb, but saved me the $50 pick-up fee and possible some shop time $$.  I quickly thought about my pre-flight inspections, and decided it don't take much time, or an A&P, to blow thru a gas cap!  "Duh-Dum-Dum"!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My small spray gun was doing the same thing, spray for a bit and then quit.  I cleaned it quite a few times before I found the problem.  Vent in the top of the bottle was plugged with poly brush.  Works good now. :-)  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Some times it is the simple things.

Sounds like you take care of your stuff if you have a 15 yr old mower. Mine is 20 yrs and mows great, runs great, but I can't get carb parts for it. I guess I will run it until it dies.

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted (edited)

At least my 4-stroke B&S 17.5 hp engine is quiet enough to not disturb the neighbors - The widow next door has contractors to do her mowing, and those Godd***-awful-sounding Bombardier engines are so terrible and loud that the operators have to wear ear protection, and makes me want to leave home until they finish!!   I stay inside with all the windows closed and the TV turned up louder!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You must be talking about their weed wackers, and worse, the blowers.  They don't use those d*mn things in cemeteries because they'd wake up all the residents......

I don't know of any 2 cycle lawn mowers.  There was one manufacturer of a 2 cycle push mower - green, was very popular with lawn services because they didn't need oil changes, had a cast aluminum deck and lasted forever.  The newer EPA regulations killed them.

Mark

Edit - Lawn Boy - darn I can't remember anything now that I can always look it up on Google!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You must be talking about their weed wackers, and worse, the blowers.  They don't use those d*mn things in cemeteries because they'd wake up all the residents......

I don't know of any 2 cycle lawn mowers.  There was one manufacturer of a 2 cycle push mower - green, was very popular with lawn services because they didn't need oil changes, had a cast aluminum deck and lasted forever.  The newer EPA regulations killed them.

Mark

Edit - Lawn Boy - darn I can't remember anything now that I can always look it up on Google!

Mark,  I don't know what brand these mowers are, but my stepson also has one - I saw the "Bummer" 2-stroke engine, I think it is about 800cc, and it sounded the same as the one who disturbs my Saturdays next door, and they drive with 2 sticks instead of a wheel - Yes, they also have a loud weedeater and blower too!   Glad we don't have a cemetery close, or I would be seeing the walking dead protesting against it.... EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If it's too loud your too old! My 582 powered Avid is stealth compared to a Soob one. I've flown with and in both. 

Posted

If it's too loud your too old! My 582 powered Avid is stealth compared to a Soob one. I've flown with and in both. 

Joey, It must be Ground-effect Resonance, or mower blades going beyond Mach 1... Just so irritating when I am trying to have a conversation with ungrounded people!   EDMO

Posted

Yea, I think the blade speed has a lot to do with it. Mine is B&S as well and it is 4 times or more louder when the blades are on.