Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bing carb fuel pressure

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know how much fuel pressure a bing carb on my 2200 jab will take, I would like to buy a facet fuel pump and am trying to get away from the external regulator. I see facet makes a pump that only puts out 2 to 4 psi, this pump is only to get fuel up to the fuel pump on the engine.

Posted

It won't take much before you risk flooding the engine at idle.  I have the dead stick landing to prove it.  The mechanical pump was putting out to much pressure. I ended up going with gravity feed on my Avid, and used an electric pump for take off only.  I used the weakest Facet pump.   Don't know if I really need the pump, one time I forgot to turn the pump on and was well off the ground before I realized it.  Engine never missed a beat, maybe it was about to though.  You can also use a larger jet (3MM) on the float needle and then really shouldn't need the pump at all with our high wing tanks.  I got the jet from Bing, but haven't put it in the carb yet.  I plan to when I put it all back together.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Can't you use a restrictor or presurse regulator after the pumps? Does the return line relieve excess pressure at the carbs.?

Posted

Apart from the body diameter? the bing appears to be very similar to the 912 carb,so i am assuming 5.8 psi max

The facet low pressure4psi pump is extremely reliable,as a rule on my 582 fox i run the pump when below 1000ft agl as a backup to the mikuni pulse pump,

But my 912 only allows me to use one as a backup as occasionaly the pressure gets above 5.8 psi both aircraft have the pumps in series.

Do a gravity flow test at the carb level in a max climb  attitude 1.5 times your max engine use is a safe gravity flow