Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need walked through removing and reinstalling an E-box

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I am getting ready to swap my E box onto a Blue Head 582. The best documentation I've found so far is in the CPS catalog article #55 http://www.800-airwolf.com/pdffiles/ARTICLES/part%2055.PDF The guy selling me the engine is sending the Rotax Puller with it to borrow. The article also mentions a Fixation Pin to lock the crank which I don't have. The instructions look pretty straight forward but can someone with some experience on these point out any gotcha's or better yet a step by step account on how to do it? I've already been warned I'll probably have to heat the crank to the get the flywheel off and to have a blanket or something on the floor because it will most likely fly off the crank. I have the 582 rebuild CD but I keep forgetting it out at the hangar. Does it cover this procedure? Any info would be awesome.

Posted

You say you are going to switch gear boxes, why would you pull the flywheel?

I've been in on three motor teardowns on my motors and several others and none

of them came apart any way near what this "warning" told you.

If you pull the flywheel you can use an ordinary three bolt puller, just make sure

the bolts don't go thru and hit any mag coil. Also use a puller with a "shoe" to

protect the crank shaft. If your talking about the pinion gear, it won't jump either.

I would "never" heat the crank shaft, heat would expand the shaft making it tighter.

Maybe their thinking a little heat to loosen the locktight????

A little heat around the flywheel hub shouldn't hurt, but again no heat inside

on the coils!!!!

The fixsation pin is a pin that fits in the fuelpump vaccum tube and into the crankshaft. A pin of any sort that will fit into the brass tube and strong(hard)

enough not to bend. One can be made from a good quality screwdriver shaft. I have

a store bought one, its about 3" long only. :beerchug:

Posted

I am getting ready to swap my E box onto a Blue Head 582. The best documentation I've found so far is in the CPS catalog article #55 http://www.800-airwo...S/part%2055.PDF The guy selling me the engine is sending the Rotax Puller with it to borrow. The article also mentions a Fixation Pin to lock the crank which I don't have. The instructions look pretty straight forward but can someone with some experience on these point out any gotcha's or better yet a step by step account on how to do it? I've already been warned I'll probably have to heat the crank to the get the flywheel off and to have a blanket or something on the floor because it will most likely fly off the crank. I have the 582 rebuild CD but I keep forgetting it out at the hangar. Does it cover this procedure? Any info would be awesome.

Never took apart a E box, but have done B and C boxes. Why are you pulling the fly wheel? does the new engine not come with one? The pinion gear needs a little heat from a heat gun to soften the locktite / sleeve retainer. I just use an allen wrench for the locking tool. Make sure it is not a "ball" end wrench as it will pop the ball off. I will look and see if any of my books show the E box and the removal.

:beerchug:

Posted

Never took apart a E box, but have done B and C boxes. Why are you pulling the fly wheel? does the new engine not come with one? The pinion gear needs a little heat from a heat gun to soften the locktite / sleeve retainer. I just use an allen wrench for the locking tool. Make sure it is not a "ball" end wrench as it will pop the ball off. I will look and see if any of my books show the E box and the removal.

My new engine is coming with a bare crank that's why I have to swap the fly wheels. Thanks for the info. The E box is quite a bit different from the others.

Posted

My new engine is coming with a bare crank that's why I have to swap the fly wheels. Thanks for the info. The E box is quite a bit different from the others.

I figured out what you were tlaking about when I was home last time... there was a "flywheel" on my C box, but I never installed it as I put the clutch on before I put the gear box on. I have the flywheel and hardy disc at the house still in the box.

I do remember pulling the flywheel on Bobs engine when I put the clutch on it. You can use a steering wheel puller to pop it off. No real vodo magic to pull it.