Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

From New Jersey to Utah trip in my Teenie Two

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay people, I'm in the beginning stages of planning the ultimate cross country flight in my little plane. If it happens I'll be going from New Jersey to western Utah with no electrical system. Because I don't really feel like getting bounced around during the mid-day sun and heat, I'm looking for places to go during the day that are either walking distance or easily accessible from small airports. Also if you live somewhere between these two points (yeah open I know), and you'd like to see me, please let me know. I'll also be looking for places to stay at night and would love to visit as many of you that might have time. The trip will happen around the end of June or first week of July so I have a couple weeks to plan. I don't have a specific route planned out yet. Any private strips are welcome as well. Grass in good condition is always welcome!
Also, my plane runs much better on Mogas so any suggestions on places to get that or where I can walk to a gas station would be appreciated. Of course any places you know of that have a courtesy car still available are helpful.

I don't have any specific time I have to do this other than I'd like to be in Utah on or before the end of day July 6th. 

I'm not looking for a hand out so if you put me up for a night I'll gladly do some work for you to repay the hospitality.
Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Kenneth

1.jpg

Posted

If you want to stop through northern Wisconsin, KRRL, I'd put you up and even feed ya.  (Pretty far out of your way though…)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

:news: I'm all in on this thread.  Now this is the type of trip I do on my motorcycle.  Ken, you're inspiring.

What this board needs is a Tent-space thread. 

Ken, we can accommodate you at 8w2 in New Market VA if your trip is dipping to the south. I can arrange for you to borrow the airport car to go to town and you can camp out in my hanger. I have a Hennessy Hammock I always take on trips like this which packs small and light and can be used as a bivvy as well.  You can use the sofa at my place too if you'd like.

Paul

Edited by allonsye
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Are you wearing a shirt in that pic? I am all about saving weight but... Sounds like an epic journey. The other day I was going through my old Idaho trip pics. Flying large distances in a little plane with minimal instruments is an amazing adventure. Cruising at 9500 feet coupled up to a 430W in a spam can just isn't the same. 

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

My longest adventure was in a Cessna 180 on straight floats from Tavares, FL to Lake of the Ozarks, MO (look up Coconuts Caribbean Beach Bar and Grill, Gravois Mills, MO). I was flying, the owner was in the right seat, and we had all the owners 'stuff', 4 full gas cans, and one very unhappy cat in the back.  It was about 1000nm overall, with 3 fuel stops along the way, but only 1 was a Seaplane base.  2 were done using the cans at lakes - the seaplane base was in the middle, so we filled up the airplane and the cans there (Guntersville, AL if anybody is interested).  Flying along at about 100kts, mostly at 1000ft AGL was quite an experience. They were repositioning the plane to their summer base, and I got to do the flying for basically paying for the gas.  Given the cost of float plane time in Florida, it was a heck of deal, and a great adventure.

The same owner is currently flying a 206 on floats (amphibs this time) from Alaska to Tavares.  He advertised for basically the same deal (a lot more expensive obviously), but my schedule didn't allow the time this year - that would have been a real adventure!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

If you get pushed up to D38 I'll feed and fuel you, plus my truck camper is in the hangar for just such emergencies. Maybe you should leave a week early and come help me finish my Aeropro. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I forgot to add - I doubt that Florida is on you path, but you'd be welcome if it was!  BTW - you do have a handheld radio to use, right?

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Kenneth, You know you are welcome here, or any other way I can help.  Unfortunately, I am in an "Airport-Free Zone" for about a 50 mile radius.   I am told that Mexico, MO airport has mogas, and Washington, MO (Carl Cochran Airport) has MFA  mogas within short driving distance.  I haven't flown into either for a long time.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Rather than multi-quote everyone I'l just make a list. 

Larry, not sure I'll get up that far north. I really don't have a specific route in mind but it will make the difference if I can find places to stay and Mogas to buy or get very close to the airports. Anyone with a private field that can help me get regular automotive gas will really help me out. Heck even a non-private field that someone can help me grab 5 gallons of gas helps tremendously.

Joey, yes I do have a tank top on in that picture. It was over the Space Coast, just off of Cape Canaveral over the ocean. I plan to do this trip naked to save on weight for the GoPro and handheld radio, plus a 5 gallon (empty) gas can and a pair of shoes. :D 

Mark, I remember you telling me about that. Sounds like a cool trip. I've done a ton of trips clear across the country but nothing in a plane this small. I can't move much, thus the 2 hour or less legs on my planning. 

Doug, I won't be heading up that far at all. Just a strange observation too: Skyvector doesn't have D38 listed, yet Airnav does. I couldn't find it for a while.

Ed, thanks for the offer. St. Louis I have covered if I stop there. Since I have friends there I also have a place to stay. Mexico did have Mogas two years ago when I went through there with the Pursang. I believe they are one of the few that still do. I didn't know that Washington did. I may have to check on that, it's much more on my way. All the sites that show Mogas don't show much anymore. I think it's just really getting that hard to get at the airports. 

I sure appreciate all the offers! 

Any ideas of cool places to see during the day if I'm just wandering around killing the turbulent part of the daylight hours?

Anyone know of airports that have a gas station (for cars) very nearby? Thus facilitating me walking over with a 5 gallon gas can to fill up? Some states frown on me landing on the roads outside of the stations to fill up. (I will not say that I've done or not one that before). 

Edited by lostman
additional information

Posted

I don't know how accurate this website is, but you can check it out and see what you think.  Jim Chuk

http://www.flyunleaded.com/airports.php

i actually just found that site today after a Google search too. It doesn't seem that most of them listed have their price or availability listed on Airnav where it links it to anyway. I might have to make some phone calls to check on it. Still it would be much cheaper to carry a 5 gallon gas can and walk to a close by car filling station.Thanks for the heads up though. 

Posted

If you go through St. Louis, about 70 miles before you get there is Jacksonville, IL  KIJX is the airport.  They have crew cars, and a gas station in town (Steve's) that has ethanol free gas.  About 3-4 miles from the airport to the station.  I used to be based there until I got smart and moved to Florida.  I bet they'll even scrounge up a gas can you can borrow.  If Jack or Todd are at the airport, I know they will.

Old picture on google maps, so the prices are not current, but 'special' on the sign is ethanol free

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x87dfebfa01ea70bb:0xbeb763608d66eba!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/Steve's%2Bgas%2Bstation%2BJacksonville,%2BIL/@39.7235639,-90.2292031,3a,75y,259.81h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sRaj0FUgrkgce-4KCFgmtRw*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0xbeb763608d66eba!5sSteve%27s+gas+station+Jacksonville,+IL+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sRaj0FUgrkgce-4KCFgmtRw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD0reX26fNAhUM74MKHT0JAkUQpx8IZDAK

Mark

Posted

If you go through St. Louis, about 70 miles before you get there is Jacksonville, IL  KIJX is the airport.  They have crew cars, and a gas station in town (Steve's) that has ethanol free gas.  About 3-4 miles from the airport to the station.  I used to be based there until I got smart and moved to Florida.  I bet they'll even scrounge up a gas can you can borrow.  If Jack or Todd are at the airport, I know they will.

Old picture on google maps, so the prices are not current, but 'special' on the sign is ethanol free

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x87dfebfa01ea70bb:0xbeb763608d66eba!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/Steve's%2Bgas%2Bstation%2BJacksonville,%2BIL/@39.7235639,-90.2292031,3a,75y,259.81h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sRaj0FUgrkgce-4KCFgmtRw*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0xbeb763608d66eba!5sSteve%27s+gas+station+Jacksonville,+IL+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sRaj0FUgrkgce-4KCFgmtRw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD0reX26fNAhUM74MKHT0JAkUQpx8IZDAK

Mark

Thanks Mark, I know KIJX. I did my second solo cross country there years ago after hitting Springfield for the required three point trip. If I go through St. Louis I will have friend pick me up and probably stay the night there. Making it easy to get fuel. I have enough space for an empty 5 gallon gas can behind my seat. Since it doesn't weigh hardly anything I'm not out anything by taking it. I can't use the space since I'm more limited on weight back there due to W&B.

Posted

Something I hadn't considered. I do not need non-ethanol fuel. It runs better on that than 100LL due to the lead fouling my plugs. It actually runs fine but since I have to hand prop it doesn't start very well after using it. It takes several tanks to get it cleared off the plug so it's more of a convenience and fuel cost savings than anything. The engine was made to run fine on the lead but since I'm using a magneto I have to gap the plugs at .016", meaning any debri or garbage on them really makes it harder to start. 

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Something I hadn't considered. I do not need non-ethanol fuel. It runs better on that than 100LL due to the lead fouling my plugs. It actually runs fine but since I have to hand prop it doesn't start very well after using it. It takes several tanks to get it cleared off the plug so it's more of a convenience and fuel cost savings than anything. The engine was made to run fine on the lead but since I'm using a magneto I have to gap the plugs at .016", meaning any debri or garbage on them really makes it harder to start. 

Thanks!

Kenneth,  Do you add Decalin to the Avgas to keep the lead out of your plugs?  a half-pint of that wouldn't add much to your load.   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

No, I don't know anything about decalin. Guess I'll have to look it up. I can only hold 8.5 gallons of fuel too so I'm sure I wouldn't use much. It just doesn't make any sense to pay more for 100LL and then have to add something to it to get it back to Mogas results. That's why I carry a gas can. At 2.3 GPH burn a 5 gallon can goes quite a ways. It's just a matter of figuring out where I can easily acquire it. 

This makes me wonder if Sea Foam would help with the deposits on the plugs if I ran a little each tank though. It's much easier to get I'd bet.

Edited by lostman