Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AN Fittings

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Are all the Aluminum AN Fittings the same Quality? the reason I am asking is because I bought some AN fittings off Ebay and they are Garbage if you ask Me, I slid the braided hose in the fitting and started tighten it down on the hose and all the threads on the fitting basically fell off while I was finger tightening them together, No wrenches, couldn't believe it, Here is the fittings I am talking about.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/260953713539?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  

Posted (edited)

There are ASTM standards for AN fittings, like for all fasteners. 

Buyer beware when it come to Scam-Bay, imported from God knows where, stuff.  Something as important as fasteners and fittings are worth the couple extra bucks to buy from a reputable seller, imo. 

Personally I don't do business on Scam-Bay.  Too much fraud and too many horror stories. 

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I am with Larry on this one. Absolutely anything goes on fleabay. No regulation whatsoever and everyone on there is just trying to make a profit on junk they bought in bulk from somewhere else. Summit Racing has a great supply of AN stuff. I used them when I did the fuel system on the Mustang build. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

The Big Asian Country has many folks with no ethics at all, so the parts are clearly not AN even though marked that way. Let's face it, they put poison into milk because it made the protein tests rank a little higher, and killed babies in the process. What's a few pilots, in the scheme of things? At Sikorsky we learned that you have to use the rep of the supplier as a big part of the quality cycle, C5.

2 people like this

Posted

That seller listed the fitting as made in usa, so is that 100% b.s. or maybe just a one off bad part?

Posted

That seller listed the fitting as made in usa, so is that 100% b.s. or maybe just a one off bad part?

Could have been a bad one, who knows, I only bought one just for testing didn't dare buy everything at once.

Posted

That seller has about 10,000 positive feedbacks, he can't make that up.  Maybe you just got a bad one.  See if he will take it back and send you a new one.  I've had real good success buying stuff on ebay myself.  Did ok selling stuff there as well.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Well after adding everything up last night through summit Racing, Nylon braided hose and all the AN fittings I just couldn't do it, So I went the cheaper and lighter route, Ordered SAE R-7 with barbed fittings, that has worked for years, Some times I'm kinda cheap like that,

Posted

Read the descriptions of the fittings closely.  No where in their ad are they calling out an AN specification.  They are saying that the fittings are "no. 4 AN" (thread/flare) "to pipe thread" or whatever.  They are not saying "this is an AN 822-4D, which has its own particular specifications.  Do the parts have traceability  back to the manufacturer and batch?  I sincerely doubt it.

Posted

Fleabay is good for somethings, but I like to use a dealer for stuff like that. Get your money back!!!

Posted (edited)

A little late to the conversation, but...

I bought "AN" Fittings from a variety of sellers on ebay.  Bought a bunch of stainless tubing polished it all, got the right flaring tools, high quality bending tools and hard line plumbed a hotrod Roots blown Corvette.  Things held together well enough.  Thinking back on it I would not use those no-name fittings in an aircraft.  I don't think all the positive feedback has anything to do with happy pilots.

Real aircraft fittings are mfg'd to tight tolerances by reputable companies and the price of them reflects that.  There was definately a difference between that and what I got on Ebay to make my car look like the guys at Boeing plumbed it. :P

Edited by Knuckledragger
1 person likes this