Introduction...Jenki from Slovakia/EU

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everybody here

I am from Slovakia, European union, owner of similar plane as Avid Flyer/KitFox.

My plane is shoulder-wing as well, but standard solution, classic ailerons and flaps (no flaperons). Type is STYLUS X3, tricycle version with ROTAX 912 A (80HP).

Some basic info is here, some pictures as well http://www.avama.sk/lietadla_en.html

I hope to find some info here how to upgrade my aircraft by better gear and wheels. My idea is to rebuild STYLUS to tail-dragger, but with different type of landing gera, more wide.

Posted (edited)

Welcome Jenki,

Your plane is like the one I am trying to build, nose gear with flaps and ailerons.   Mine is not a kit.  I am sure that the taildragger pilots here will help you on changing to a better landing gear.   How are your flaps and ailerons built and what are they covered with?  Do you have construction plans or photos of them being built?  Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thank you for invitation,

My plane was build in 2010 on the base of company construction as you can see on the pictures. All welding was done in the company, it is standard strut construction of TIG welded steel pipes covered by doped fabric, for now it could be better to use ORATEX UL600 rather then fabric.Folding wings are combination of aluminium ribs and two beams covered by doped fabric.Nose gear is tube type with coaxial hydro-pneumatic shock absorber, main landing gear is made from fiberglass (from company COMLEX, the same as for Dynamic WT9). I personally don't have construction plans, but I can try to ask my friends.

Resize of OM-M477_Slavnica.jpg

Posted (edited)

Nice Plane - exactly what I started to design and build years ago.  I have not decided how to build and cover my flaps and ailerons, and that is the information on yours that might help me decide.  Are yours covered in fabric or metal?

You can read my post about that in Technical Tasks.  Thanks,  EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Jenki, 

Welcome to the group. Hope you find the answers to the questions you have. This is a great group and the only one I use now. The guys here are mostly harmless and everyone is willing to give you their input. 

Kenneth

Posted

Hello Jenki :welcome:

Do you know if COMLEX also makes the main gear for Aeropro?

Posted

Jenki, 

Welcome to the group. Hope you find the answers to the questions you have. This is a great group and the only one I use now. The guys here are mostly harmless and everyone is willing to give you their input. 

Kenneth

I Agree, for this type of airplane this is the best Forum I have ever found,

Posted

Welcome to the funny farm, Jenki.  

Definitely see the Avid/Fox heritage of your plane in that photo...

Posted

Hello Jenki :welcome:

Do you know if COMLEX also makes the main gear for Aeropro?

:) thank you very much everybody :) very nice reception

Regarding COMLEX production, I am sure that they are producing many different gear legs for different types of aircraft. Regarding Aerotrek A240 Trigear I am not sure (I think that last versions of landing gear are from COMLEX) but it is easy to ask my friends - owners of the same plane - just here in Europe they call it EurFox. I will let you know.

Posted

Regarding Avid/Fox heritage - there in no doubt. Tail part is probably complete copy, cockpit is wider/bigger, more roomy and more comfortable. Even interior is more "luxury" but, there is very limited place for luggage. Owner of company said, that customers are crazy and usually don't care about MTOW, so he decided to provide only very limited place for luggage limited by hard plastic construction. Stupid idea, but what I can do... I will post pictures later for better realization.

Nose gear is special construction, with coaxial hydro-pneumatic dumper built inside the front leg. Nice for easy handling and "tidy" runways, but not very suitable for rough grass runways - i am always a little afraid about bumpy grass RWYs . Plane is a little bit "head heavy" maybe due to absence of ballistic rescue system usually installed behind the cockpit. Aircraft was built in 2010, airworthiness issued 3. September 2010 and till 16. jun 2014 flown 200 hours. Since then I am owner, today it is exactly for two years :) and I am flying a little more - now there is more then 400 hours on the counter. Cockpit you can see on the picture, just gadget on the right side is no more there.

I will write my ideas how to "rebuilt" partially this plane, with stress on the landing gear first - I'd like to have more "light bush plane' form it.

CockpitOM-M477.jpg

Posted

welcome to the forum .I really like those wing tips .fiberglass I assume

Posted (edited)

Yes, wing tips are fiberglass. And front part of fuselage is covered by fiberglass as well, engine compartment, cabin up to main gear, only bottom part of cabin is covered by fabric. I will put here details about my plane step by step.... and then I will discuss my ideas how I'd like to "improve" this aircraft.

I'd like to use it more for "light bush flying" due to low cruising speed (about 85knots) and strong welded construction. The main issue is for me is landing gear change. I'm not sure, if it'll be better to use plastic/fiberglass version or Grove ... current gear is 67" wide only and my feeling is that it is not enough for bush flying. But how to replace and where to ask for manufacturing me sort of Cabane version - I don't know for now.

This weekend I'd like to replace propeller. I am flying Kaspar KA-1/3P-PA ground adjustable now, but it is very heavy for my engine 80HP (7.5kg-16.5 pounds) and new one is Mihalides (Slovak producer) DMP-3/3 with diameter 66.14" and weight only half.

Edited by Jenki

Posted

Btw. Stylus is not only plane I am flying, but sometimes, depend on the situation, there is also Viper SD4, SportCruiser, Bristell... but, Stylus is my property :)

Some pictures from life are here http://jenki.rajce.idnes.cz/

Posted

Welcome Jenki,

Your plane is like the one I am trying to build, nose gear with flaps and ailerons.   Mine is not a kit.  I am sure that the taildragger pilots here will help you on changing to a better landing gear.   How are your flaps and ailerons built and what are they covered with?  Do you have construction plans or photos of them being built?  Thanks,  EDMO

Hi, flaps and ailerons are covered by fabric. Construction plans are still not available for me, but I'm trying to find somebody with plans.
Photos from construction are here:

http://www.avama.sk/vyroba_en.html

Posted

Love those wing ribs, How are they held to the spar? Just a epoxy type product?

Posted

Welcome Jenki,

Hi, flaps and ailerons are covered by fabric. Construction plans are still not available for me, but I'm trying to find somebody with plans.

Thank You Jenki - Photos are good.   EDMO

Posted

Welcome Jenki,

Thank You Jenki - Photos are good.   EDMO

Well, now I can see that I have earlier version of Stylus, because my flaps are covered by fabric and you can see on the photos that there are metallic flaps already.

Sorry, but I've perceived only now.

Btw. manufacturer sold completely this project and equipment a few months ago to companCzech Sport Aircraft located in Kunovice, Czech Republic producing SportCruiser and very well selling in the USA. So you can expect such aircraft, maybe under different name on the US market very soon ;)  

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi friends,

time is running fast, I have some news regarding plane (though it is no more /for now/ shoulder-wing with Avid heritage) I am flying now.
As it was my dream to go back to taildragger, so I've made a decision. There is no too much shoulder-wings on the market here, unfortunately.

My plane is now Bristell TDO, long wing version (29,95 ft), sort of speedy all-metal plane in this category. I am keeping still STOL and rough field capability though there are certain limitations related to low-wing concept but main limitation is low position of tail feathering definitely. Cruising speed 100 - 110 kts is nice advantage (Rotax 912 @ 5000 rpm), roomy cockpit, 2x 20kg/44pounds baggage boxes in the wings, 15kg/35pounds in the back part of cockpit. Wheels are 6" low pressure due to rough terrain capability.

IMG_2749_FotorSmall.jpg

Resize of 2017_07_08 098.jpg

2 people like this