Teenie Two prep for a 2100 nautical mile cross country

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Damn technology, takes the fun out of everything. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

IMO, It is too hot to fly anywhere below Canada - I forgot to put the silver WS protector on the SUV last night, and almost got 3rd degree burns when I touched the steering wheel today.  Bad time of year for storms, and you have to cross Tornado Alley if you come this way.  Hard to sleep under a wing during a hail storm - and the ticks and chiggers will eat you alive anyway!   That big silver bird with lots of seats has air-conditioning too!   101F here today, and forecast is for many 100+ days in July.   Hate to bust your bubble, but you got to check reality - and maybe opt for a fast high-altitude plane with AC for XC ?.... If you need your plane out there, the trip might be easier if you just put it on a trailer, tow it, and enjoy the scenery from the ground.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Checking reality is always a good thing.  It would really s*ck to get halfway there and be REALLY sick of the trip, knowing you still have half to go, and the whole thing again to get back.

Heck, I'm not sure I'd take that trip in my Cherokee 235.  It doesn't have A/C, but I could get up to cool air pretty quick, and at 130kts, get there faster too.  Plus I could haul whatever I want, 1433lb useful load comes in handy! However, 6 hours of gas, with a 2 hour bladder isn't always useful :)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Checking reality is always a good thing.  It would really s*ck to get halfway there and be REALLY sick of the trip, knowing you still have half to go, and the whole thing again to get back.

Heck, I'm not sure I'd take that trip in my Cherokee 235.  It doesn't have A/C, but I could get up to cool air pretty quick, and at 130kts, get there faster too.  Plus I could haul whatever I want, 1433lb useful load comes in handy! However, 6 hours of gas, with a 2 hour bladder isn't always useful :)

Mark

Mark,  I would make that trip in your plane, provided you install a P-Tube so I could hook up the one under my flight suit.  At my age, the bladder time is down to about 1 hour, and no guarantee that there will be an airport in 59 minutes!  :lol:  EDMO

Added:  If it was September weather, I would be telling Lostman to give it a try - But summer heat with storms is not a good time for a trip that long in that tiny aluminum Sardine Can (too small to be a Spam Can)!  

Edited by EDMO

Posted

There will be time in your life for adventures, maybe not this one at this time. If you bot the ticket your first instinct is likely correct, so go enjoy your time with the kids without the pressure. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Chiggers?

Posted (edited)

Chiggers?

Dusty,  Maybe Chiggers cant swim far enough to get to NZ, or you have another name for them?  I don't know if we are allowed to export them!  Anyway, they are pesky, tiny little bugs, almost too small to see, that bite you and leave a sore, itchy, red spot, and maybe move on to do it more times.  I think they attack in squadrons or battalions, or at least bring the family!  I started to say, "Blood-sucking Parasites", but that is the description we use for Politicians!   Look it up on the inet.  EDMO  

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have 10 days off for my Osh trip. I was invited to fly with the low and slow and crowd out there and I briefly considered it. I decided that leaving Sacramento and being in the Ultralight field having a cold one with Doug 7 hrs later was a much better plan. Cost me $700 the airline ticket but money well spent to maximize my time on the grounds I think. Someday I will fly there but not this year. 

2 people like this

Posted

Text me your preferred flavor and I guaranty to have your 1st case on ice when you show up!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I do believe that first instincts should be listened to. I have not in the past and paid for it at times. After deciding to not fly across the country this trip with the Teenie, I went to at least fly a "local" 60 mile or so each way flight for breakfast today. Upon trying to take off I realized something wasn't right so I aborted. The airfield where I have the plane right now is beyond flat, smooth or level. The landing was exciting, something that isn't normally the case with this little plane. Time to disassemble it, tell the owner of the field I can't fly out of there (it has gopher mound perpendicular to the runways after he told me it was rolled??). 

Still looking for an Avid project. The one on Barnstormers in PA doesn't seem to want to respond to emails or voicemails. Must be one of those situations where the deal is too good to be real. 

Wish I could join you guys at OSH this year. Really would love to be there again. Have fun and be safe!